Mauritian Diaspora scheme and permanent residency

Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone here has gone the Mauritian Diaspora scheme route to get their permanent residency? My husband's grandfather is Mauritian born. We are South African. We would like to live in Mauritius. As far as I know only my husband's father can gain citizenship by decent. So I presume the Diaspora scheme is our only option.  Does anyone have any advice or information to share?

http://dha.pmo.govmu.org/English/Mandat … NSHIP.aspx

Your husband's grandfather would qualify for birthright citizenship as it's safe to assume he was born before the 1st of October 1995.

I believe that your husband could then inherit his Mauritian citizenship and you could obtain it by marriage. But you may want to check up on all of this with the department of home affairs.

Thank you. I will look into it.

Since your father in law is not a Mauritian by birth ( jus soli) but by descent ( jus sanguis ) , his children won't be considered Mauritian citizens.Hence you husband can't claim Mauritian citizenship.

Thus you will have to see if the diaspora scheme is feasible

Thank you for your reply. I thought as much, my research indicated the same.  I am hoping that someone else on here has applied via the Diaspora Scheme as I would love to find out about their experience.

According to my understanding of the law governing citizenship: Mauritian citizenship by descent is only granted to the first generation.

Allow me to explain.

Let's say I'm a Mauritian citizenship by birth.

Now, let's say I have a child who was born outside Mauritius. He/she will obtain Mauritian citizenship by descent as one of his parents (that is I) is a Mauritian citizen by birth (1st generation).

Now, let's say my child goes on to marry a non-Mauritian citizen and they in turn become parents to a child who was born outside Mauritius (2nd generation). In this case, their child will not obtain Mauritian citizenship.

Of course, I recommend that you consult the competent authorities for advice.