Romania Health System and residency

Having retired not so long ago I am considering a move to Romania where the cost of living  like housing etc. is still  reasonably cheap. Considering the North East around Iasi.

The only worry is Health really. I have lived in the Caribbean and other countries for some years so I do not really belong to any European health Insurance system.
So therefore wanted to ask if someone  knows  if Europeans can join the Romanian public health insurance system and if so  how much is it likely to cost?
Plus any other useful information on this subject would be appreciated.

Also have another question about registration.
Although I guess in theory its possible just to live there as there are not many passport checks these days  since Romania has been in the EU.
but guess for long term it's best to  register.
Anyway in the case of joining  health  system this would obviously be required.
Is it difficult to register  residence there for  European citizens or does one to have to go through all  the usual rigmarole like in other countries, police checks, Financial  records, Etc?

Well  I lived in Romania in the old days not long after  Ceausescu fell. In those days everything could be solved with an ... errm.. "donation" to the right people but I guess those  days are gone now, since  joining the EU.

Ahh  the Wild East..Those were the days.
😁

"Although I guess in theory its possible just to live there as there are not many passport checks these days  since Romania has been in the EU"

Although I am not retired, I am disabled and on my little income it was easier for my Romanian wife and I to have a slightly  more comfortable life in Romania than we would have had here, although due to a certain form of required medical management, it was necessary to return home.

You're pretty wrong there in that quote above. They aggressively check passports at borders and airports. If they find you staying over the allowed period of time (90 days was for me before I became a resident) you can count on a fine and denial of re-entry should they choose.

Romanian immigration is a lot more competent than you think.

Edit: Also, if you are stopped by the Politia, they can and will ask for your identification and/or passport should they choose.

As to the rest of your questions, I'll leave that to any EU member or someone from RO to answer.

Well seems things have changed then, last time I went they barely glanced at my passport and it was not recorded or stamped in any way

Compared with American Immigration ( ICE ) the romanian one is a "saint", so far I see no reason for them to not allow you in, and even if you overstay your welcome the chances of them coming after you are slim to none ( unless you do something really stupid ), regarding health care nobody stops you to buy a private insurance for around 80 euro a month and way better service than the public one.

tp3813 wrote:

Well seems things have changed then, last time I went they barely glanced at my passport and it was not recorded or stamped in any way

As you are an EU citizen that's normal.

@Spy1309

Yeah I know the public health system can be a bit, shall we say a bit below par.
But private is   a lot more expensive. 80 Euros a month? Mmh depends how old you are once you get over 60 you can more than treble that.
Cheapest I could find was 262 Euro,  which is a large chunk out of monthly income.
So guess has to Romanian system,.. Pray and hope for the best.
Not sure how much the Romanian system is but I've been told it's a  around  40 Euro a month,  which is a lot more manageable.

Well you know ..."you get what you pay for ".....but compared with private insurances in the west even 200 euros seem like a bargain....regardless of that don t worry to much that they will come after you, I bet there are thousands of people if not more in same situation.