4 degrees, regional MD role, EP still pending after 83 days!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, researching past cases of EP applications to see if there is some correlation with mine, but I've yet to find something similar.

It's been 83 days now since the future employer applied for my EP and the status remains "pending from vetting agencies".  While I believe that each application is unique and everyone has something to offer (otherwise, we'll all be jobless!), considering my profile below, I'm really perplexed as to why it has taken so long for the outcome.

- Position:  Regional MD of a US MNC that is a leader in its industry, and growing, especially in Asia Pacific
- Salary:  Significantly above $10k a month
- Hiring process:  Chosen from over a 100 initial applicants, then down to a handful, with the final interview being done at the HQ in the US by group CEO and COO (and other group senior management)
- SG office:  Has been present in Singapore for 18 years and with a track record of growth.  SG office is the regional HQ
- My academic qualification:  BS, BA and MS from a Top 5 US University.  An MBA from an Ivy League Business school that's also a Top 5 (both schools are sometimes ranked 1 but the rankings vary year to year).
- Work experience:  Over 10 years, and the last role was as a CEO for >3 years for an international operation with clients from US and UK to China, Singapore and Australia.  Also worked in the US for 8 years prior to moving to Asia
Industry:  Media (past and future employment)

Process so far:
- Applied mid Jan
- Status changed from pending to "Pending from vetting agencies..." (you know the rest) in early Feb
Interviewed with MOM 2 weeks ago
- Company has been requesting MOM to expedite since Feb
- SG office President spoke to MOM officer last week. MOM officer shared that the hold up is due to info from another agency but they would not reveal which one or why
- Still nothing as off today

What could be an exception:
- I relocated (same company, new position) from the US to Singapore in 2006.  Got Singapore PR in early 2008 but left Singapore by end 2008.
- Tried to renew PR in 2014 but because I was no longer working and living in Singapore, my renewal was rejected
- To be clear, I didn't withdraw my PR, unlike other cases where they didn't want their sons to do NS or they wanted to withdraw their CPF.  I have not withdrawn my CPF.  I would equally be happy to accept PR again if offered even though I now have a son (I was single back in 2008)
- Moreover, I have been paying SG taxes since 2006 continuously as I have been earning rental income from my SG property since 2008 - so my tax records should be clear
- I am a regular visitor to Singapore either for leisure or business - so my immigration records should be clear

So given all of the above:
1. At the risk of sounding arrogant, shouldn't I be a preferred candidate for EP? 
2. Given my continuous record in Singapore since 2006 (taxes, immigration, etc.), shouldn't it be a clear cut case for assessment, even if the outcome is a rejection (hopefully it won't)?

I understand that unless someone on this group is from MOM (and if so, I doubt he/she will identify themselves), any response could be speculative.  But I'm rather out of ideas as to why my application remains pending for over 2.5 months now...

R

What I can see from the above details, potentially there could be two reasons which caused significant delay of your EP as below:

1. The vetting agency liaised with the educational authorities or the previous employers to get the specific information was not received from those respective parties.
2. Past record shows that there is no guarantee you will stick to this country for a longer period (no matter whatever the intention you might have), but record shows otherway round. It was proved that you left Singapore in 2008, after getting PR in the same year. The days are gone when ICA was given PR more frequently.

Now, given to the above scenario there could be some other reason which may delay further. Otherwise, your qualification, experience and job role should have enough positive impact to receive EP in a week or two. Good luck.

Note: I don't know if anyone here works for MoM, but people have enough experience to understand what could be the potential reason for this delay.

Thanks Surya.

Do you know how the applicant/ employer is notified? 

I've found that info on the website when checking for one's status isn't exactly accurate.  after 2.5 months, it still shows "expected outcome within 2 months".  Furthermore, when I received the invitation for the interview, it came via a letter to the employer, not via the website.

Is notification via the In-Principle Approval?  And once IPA is issued, how long before the applicant can actually report to work?

Is there any reason to think that it'll take longer than 1-2 weeks from now?  I'm reading of candidates taking up to 4 months, with a reason case taking 93 days for approval!

R

I think in your case it would be much faster now, as MoM indicated that the delay was due to enquirer (vetting agency) didn't get information on time. Most likely you can expect a week or two to see the result.

Result informed to the employer as well as update in MoM website (its lagging in time). IPA letter would be issued once EP approved then send to the employer (should receive within week or same day of approval). Once employer send you the IPA letter, then you can come to Singapore and start working very next day. Believe rest procedural parts you must be aware of (e.g. medical check up, visit MoM office, if needed). Good luck

Hello rr993,

Did you manage to get EP...my timeline is similar to you case "pending input from the vetting agencies" since 2.5 months.

Hi Syed77

Unfortunately,  after 3 months, status remains pending and awaiting input from vetting agencies.

According to my future employer, MOM had committed to an answer last week (which I was surprised they did) but as I had expected, there has been no change (I was really hoping to be wrong).

At this point, I am risk of having my offer rescinded, and have already begun looking at alternatives (given that I had already resigned from my prior position) but I see some challenging times ahead since it will take a while to be re-employed.

I don't know if MOM realizes the implication of the delay in giving a decision, not just on the applicant but to the family of the applicants as well.

I'm ok if it's a rejection. But at least do it sooner rather than putting me in a limbo for months - the anxiety has been very stressful for me and the family.

rr993 wrote:

I don't know if MOM realizes the implication of the delay in giving a decision, not just on the applicant but to the family of the applicants as well.

As with all government agencoies worldwide, it is MoM's job to decide in the best interest of Singapore and Singaporeans, not you and your family.
Apparently, they think that input from external ("vetting") agencies is required to decide whether you are allowed to work here - and this input takes long to come (which is probably out of MoM's control).
There is nothing you can do about this, other than wait or cancel the application and look for another job.
It was not a good idea to resign from your previous job before your Singapopre work pass is approved.

P.S.: If your employer has very strong and urgent reasons that you need to start work sooner (e.g. if local jobs are at risk if not), they can contact MoM to speed up things or event to get a temporary permit that allows you to work until the final decision by MoM.

Just to conclude on this thread, I finally received my EP after 3 months, and about 1 month after my interview with MOM. 

As several threads had mentioned, while it takes a while, the odds of getting approved are better than being rejected.  Having said that, I don't think I'll ever know why mine took so long (definitely an outlier, but not unheard of) nor which vetting agency was MOM waiting for and for what data.

It was an extremely stressful time for me and the family, and we had already began looking at job options outside Singapore (no point barking up the same tree).

For those who have a shorter notice period, my advice is definitely don't tender your resignation before you get the EP approved.  In my case, with such a long notice period, I didn't have a choice as the new employer wouldn't be so patient to wait for me to tender my resignation only after the EP was approved.  If your situation is similar to mine, just be aware that you are at risk of being unemployed if the EP remains pending after you leave your job.  Some employers may even rescind the offer if they aren't willing to be so patient.

The other thing I learned is that regardless of how well you think you might meet the criteria (qualification, experience, level, salary, etc.) as per the MOM self diagnostic test, there will always be a chance that you can be rejected, or at least be in a limbo for a while.  Nothing is certain.  And the reasons may never be made clear.  For me, it was a very humbling experience as I once thought that I would always be employable and be able to successfully obtain a work permit regardless of where in the world.

In general, I think the days of easy global mobility are over.  Countries are (rightfully) looking out for what is best for their citizens and for those who are quick to be critical of Singapore on the strict criteria imposed by MOM need only look to Trump's America, Brexit, and the other so-called "open" economies...

For those who are in the same boat as I was, I wish you the best, have a lot faith (in yourself and the system) and be extremely patient - and do perhaps work on a back-up plan earlier (in case the worst happens) as I probably waited a bit longer and would've been in financial trouble if the EP didn't come through.

Congratulations and thanks for posting this here.
I personally share your opinion about the (hopefully temporary) step back that globalisation unfortunately has taken in recent years. Let's try to make this a better world for everyone - and not one where each nation only looks onto its own, narrow interest!