Retiring to Rosarita, Ensenada area in Baja, Mexico

My husband and I are seriously thinking of retiring to the Rosarita, Ensenada area in Baja, Mexico. We would love to hear from people who have done this and how they feel about their move. I have read so many wonderful things with the big negative being trying to cross the border at times. That is not an issue for us since we are retired. The condos on the ocean looks wonderful. We do have a realtor to guide us.

We looked at several locations both in Mexico and abroad.  For many reasons we decided on Rosarito, mostly because of the closeness to the US and grandkids.  Rosarito puts us within a days drive of all of them.   

We haven't moved yet and don't plan to live there full time, maybe six months out of the year.  Our condo is under construction and should be done in 12-14 months. 

As for getting across the border you will want to get a SENTRI pass.  It seriously cuts the crossing time back into the US from hours to minutes and at times to zero wait time.  It takes a few months to go through the process, but the few times we have used the lane it was well worth the trouble to get it.  As for getting into Mexico I don't see anyway to expedite that.

thank you for that great advise!

Can I ask you...if you already have Global Entry, is it easy to add Sentri or do  you have to do another interview?  I am living in Mexico and may drive to US in May and would love the Sentri if I can do it online with my Global Entry. Would you happen to know? Muchas Gracias!!

It's a separate interview for SENTRI.  SENTRI will get you GE and TSA pre-check but not vice versa. 

I am not sure you can get SENTRI without a US address.  Check the CBP www site for Trust Traveler programs.  It's pretty easy to apply but just takes time to get processed.  Spouse and I applied the same day and she got her interview appointment in three weeks.  It took me six weeks to get my interview appointment.

THANK YOU!!! My global entry has been awesome at the airport, but I am thinking of driving in May! I really appreciate you getting back to me! CHeers, Mary Ellen

Totally agree on GE.  We just used it in November for the first time at SFO returning from Hong Kong.  We were through and on the street in less than 30 min.

SallyO420 wrote:

My husband and I are seriously thinking of retiring to the Rosarita, Ensenada area in Baja, Mexico. We would love to hear from people who have done this and how they feel about their move. I have read so many wonderful things with the big negative being trying to cross the border at times. That is not an issue for us since we are retired. The condos on the ocean looks wonderful. We do have a realtor to guide us.

The Baja is a very nice place. The weather along the coast is wonderful year round. You would do well anywhere from Rosarito to Ensenada. Lots of beach,several golf courses,nice restaurants lots to do.
Very close to the USA for anything you may want from there. Good hunting and fishing ,camping if you are the outdoors type.
Did I mention affordable?
Good luck.