Health matter

Recently went to optician in Puerto Plata and some not-so-good news.
Looks like I have cataracts  in both eyes  so I need to deal with that.
Not sure how good eye surgeons are in this country  but have heard Santiago has a good clinic for that
Another worry I do not have health insurance so I shall have to pay for it myself anyone got any idea how much  cataract perations  may cost?

Sorry I do not know of any off hand but I would look for one in Santiago.  You might want to post this on DR1.

Bob K

Sorry to hear this. I have heard of expats who had this surgery in Santiago.  I have a friend who is a cardiac surgeon and I will ask him for a recommendation.

No idea on costs.

I have had lens replacement, laser tacking etc, By Sebastian Gussman at Clinica Coraminus on Restoration calle in Santiago.  Not sure of the spelling. Cost at the time(10 yrs. ago) rd3,000. I have no idea of present costs. I have ultimate confidence in their expertise, facilities & staff. The doc speaks perfect English.  Good luck.

That is the name of the doctor who another expat worked with.

Father son team. Pedro, the father, was a former head of opthmology at the New York Eye,Ear, Nose Throat Hospital in New York City. Sebastion studied in the states, Europe & with world renowned eye surgeons. He is  the best in the DR.  Has a good sense of humor too.

Ok thanks to everyone for the advice.