Visa for year stay

hi im looking to move to thailand for a year to sort accommodation and bank account then after that apply for long stay visa (retirement) my question is what type of visa do i need to apply for at first?

If your age is 50+ I would obtain Non-Immigrant O-A visa before you leave the UK at Thai Consulate.  You will be given permission to stay for one year when you enter Thailand.

thank you for your help, i thought it would be that one but wasnt sure.
i take it after 1 year i just get an extension.

Dennis that is right.  If your going to extend using 800k in the bank make sure it does not fall below 800k baht during the two months prior to extension application.  Remember only the first extension requires it to be in bank for two months and subsequent extensions it must be in for three months before applications.

If using 65k baht monthly income method you need letter from your embassy to certify your income.

Don't wait till the last day of your permission to stay before you apply for extension because you don't lose days if you apply early.   I always do mine two weeks early so I can sort any problem with the application.

thanks again ill make sure i do everything right when the time comes.

:D

Hi Straydog..

When I go to Thailand as British person I am allowed the normal 30 day tourist visa ok.
But if I want to extend my stay for 1 more month can I go to Laos for 1 night and then come back in to Thailand for 1 more month? and what does it cost me when I come from Laos back into Thailand?

Thanks for your reply:-)

Eddie.

@Eddie

You should be able to extend your visa at any Thai immigration centre.
Do a Google search for info and cost.