Where to get FingerPrints for Criminal Background Check in São Paulo

Hi and thank you for your reply. The World Mail Organization was something off my radar until.

I'm glad that the PF will accept the print out of my electronic background report and that I can avoid the Apostille process.

I'll post back up here how things go, particularly, how my visit to the PF in Lapa goes given Covid related closures (they're not currently answering phone calls and I may just need to wait).

Hi There,

Thanks Bemcasado, this is great news and much cheaper than a FBI Channeler. It's nice to see that the FBI has improved this process.

Polícia Federal at  R. Hugo D'Antola, 95 has a special room for taking fingerprints. They are familiar with the US form FD-258 and know how to prepare it. That room is NOT the one in the waiting area, where the fingerprints are usually taken. It is in the service area accessible by elevator. You have to ask at the Information window.

Hi, has anyone been able to get their fingerprints done electronically for the FBI background check. I see here on this forum that there is the form and Ive done this but the FBI said they couldn't read the prints so i need to do it electronically.

Yes, starting here: https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/

Then, got my fingerprints for FD-258 at Polícia Federal em Sao Paulo.

Then, apostille with monumentvisa.com
interestingly, I just had to send them the electronic reply, which I downloaded
from the CJIS site. So, I did NOT need to arrange mailing the reply from USGov to here.
Electronic reply is OK.
Then, the monumentvisa.com prints it out and turns into official apostilled document,
with nice seal etc. Which they sent to me by express mail.

Hi there,
I'm brazillian but lived in the US for 3 years and now I'm in Brazil but just found out I'll have to get a FBI backgroud check because I'm moving to another country...

May I ask how long does it take for the FBI to issue the document? And is it really necessary for me to mail them my fingerprints? Can't I just send it to them via e-mail? Thanks!!

You could try this I know in Las Vegas they use they services to do background checks to hire people. https://www.printscan.com/fbi-fingerprinting-locations/

Helen cleary wrote:

Hi, has anyone been able to get their fingerprints done electronically for the FBI background check. I see here on this forum that there is the form and Ive done this but the FBI said they couldn't read the prints so i need to do it electronically.

That depends on where you are at.  In the USA, the FBI has set up almost a hundred USPS locations to do fingerprinting/biometrics and now, the background check is virtually instant with results emailed to you just about on the spot and a hard copy was in my mailbox within a week.

Hi. I'm reading old posts on this thread and just needed some updated information. I'm currently in Brazil apply for residency. I had my fingerprints taken last June, unaware it had to be apostille and that your FBI criminal background check is ONLY good for 90 days, with that said they were no longer apostille it back in the States without me re-doing my fingerprints! Reached out to the American Consulate in Rio. They don't do criminal background services but they said I could make an appointment and could give me “a letter that's only for American citizens” to bring to the federal police to allow them to take my fingerprints. I'm in Minas Gerias..8-10 hour car drive to RIO. After reading some of the older posts it looks like I could just go to the federal police and have them take my fingerprints without this letter. Not sure if the rules have changed.

I have two kids and really don't want to leave them for a whole day and pay someone $1,500 reais to drive me all the way to RIO!!

Thank you!

If I'm not mistaken, fingerprints for a namecheck done outside the US by a non-US law enforcement entity HAVE to be done on an actual FD-258 card.  This is probably the rationale behind the consulate in Rio issuing a letter. 

I distinctly recall Accurate Biometrics stating at one time that printed cards aren't accepted from outside the US.

Your best bet is to contact an FBI channeler back in the US to get the specifics on what is and isn't acceptable.

Hi thank you for your response, I already have a relative mailing me an FBI fingerprint card so I can mail back home to the FBI.

Just don't understand why the Consulate wants to give me a “letter” to give to the federal police allowing them to take my fingerprints? Not sure if the rules have changed?

Many PF and PC offices have the form. Some are just too busy to help.
Our PF office was very helpful and took my fingerprints on the correct card, which I sent to the FBI and then to Apostille Pro via its system.

Hello All,

I need to get my fingerprints also, can I print the fingerprint form FD258 in Cartolina? is that the equivalent for cardstock?

thank you

If the paper is heavy maybe. Just go to the local Police and ask for printing and then send it to the FBI.

Hie!
how long did it take you to receive your background check after sending your fingerprints?
Did you send you fingerprints from brazil or had someone go to the usa and send it for you?

thank you!

hie!
How long did it take you to have your results back?
Also, for the Apostille, did you receive ir by mail or electronically?

hie!
were you able to get your criminal records to apply for a visa to alive in another country?
Can you tell me about your process regarding the criminal record?

mgomesr,
Your profile states you are a Brazilian citizen, so I am a little confused as to which background check you need. If you lived in the US for 3 years you do need the FBI check.
USA passport holders need an FBI check. Identity History Summary Checks:
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident … ary-checks
Please note the form has changed to FD-1164.
Since the FBI made this change, I am not sure if it is available in Brazil, but I am sure some Police Departments may have such,
You can Contact an FBI Approved Channeler and they may have the form. They charge a fee and will handle everything and send it to you in PDF form

Hie, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I lived in the USA for awhile and now I need to get my criminal records in order to apply for a Spanish visa.
I am at the Policia Federal in Lapa right now to get my fingerprints taken.
Did you send it to the USA via mail or did someone take it to the USA and sent it for you?
How long did it take you to have your results back?
Also, did you apostilled it in the USA or in BRAZIL?
I noticed that some people did not need the hard copy in order to have it appostiled.
Did you need the hard copy?

Thanks in advance!

Many years ago I sent it to the WV office which handles this. I then email the PDF to an apostille company that did the apostille and email the documents. (Use a tracking method to be sure)
Today with covid I am not certain on timing. If you can use an approved channeler and may speed the process. You can read the link as to timing.

Thank you so much!

Hey, I just came here to share what my process to get this has been once I am almost done with it.
So,
1.I went to this link : https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident … ary-checks
2. Chose my way of requesting my FBI background check - which was the electronic one.
3. Inserted my email in the blue box on the bottom of the page to initiate the process.
4. Filled out everything.
5. Paid the amount asked at the end of the electronic form.
6. Printed the FD-258 form to have my fingerprints taken and the mailed to the FBI - but you can do that in person at any U.S Posta Office IF YOU ARE IN THE US.
7. Had my fingerprints taken at Policia Federal in São Paulo - but you can do that yourself if you know how (but be careful as it can go wrong and they will not be able to read it) or ask anyone who does that to do that for you (maybe at poupatempo or anywhere that handles biometrics for documents), it does not need to be at Policia Federal.
8. Mailed the FD-258 form with my fingerprints + copy of the confirmation email received when I finished the payment, to the address:

FBI CJIS Division
ATTN: ELECTRONIC SUMMARY REQUEST
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

PS: DO NOT FORGET TO WRITE > ATTN: ELECTRONIC SUMMARY REQUEST < ON THE ENVELOP
OR IT CAN GO TO OTHER SECTION THERE AND IT WILL TAKE WAAAAAAY LONGER THAN 3 TO 5 BUSINESS DAYS.

That is it!

Oh, and if you need to have it apostilled to be used in another country that is part of the Hague treaty ( if the country you are going to use it is not part of the Hague treaty, you have to authenticate it not apostille it), you have to EITHER hire a company who does that in person, OR send it yourself to:

U.S. Department of State
Office of Authentications
CA/PPT/S/TO/AUT
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1206
Sterling, VA 20166-1206

THEY DO NOT ACCEPT FEDEX.

With the DS-4194 form ( https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds4194.PDF ) + money order or check of $20 payable to US Department of State + self addressed envelop to be returned to you.

By now, december 2021, it is taking from 2 to 3 weeks, and any companies who handle this is taking the same time as walk in services have been suspended due to COVID.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, and I hope it helps those in need of information.

The website with information is this:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … tions.html

great info
Thanks

Hello everyone !
I've been reading this thread and it helped me a lot . This is my situation , if anyone knows anything it will be very appreciated!
I'm Brazilian and living in Brazil with my husband ( Mexican ) who is applying for residency here. The PF is requesting this background check from the country he lived in starting 5 years ago . He is not American, but lived in the US with a work permit for the past 7 years.
So , should I get a family member to mail the fbi card or can I just print it and have the fingerprints taken at the PF ? i don't live in São Paulo.
I am completely lost ! please if anyone has any updates !
Thank you !

Departamento de Polícia Federal - Superintendência Regional SP
R. Hugo D'Antola, 95 - Água Branca, São Paulo - SP, 05038-090
Telefone: (11) 3538-5000

|Or by appointment at your local poupatempo.;

Poupatempo Sé
Praça do Carmo, s/n - Estação Sé do Metrô Centro, SP, 01019-200

Telefone: (11) 4135-9700

Hello! I was wondering, how did you print the form ? normal paper ? ive been reading a lot of articles and some say normal paper is fine, others say it has to be a thicker one ? What type ? thank tou

Nobody pays attention if you used parched paper, or anything fancy.
Your standard A4, stock printing sheet should suffice.
It is legible, clean, it will then make do.

And when taking printed forms to the bureau....

Beforehand, head to your local stationery store and grab one of those hard plastic folders to store the forms you might take alongside.

Don't do as some country bumpkins that fold the paper in their pockets.

It's lame.

Hello ! I printed the FD 258 form and all I need is to take the fingerprints. I don't live in São Paulo, I live in Fortaleza, NOBODY here seems to know what to do or how to do it. I once went to Recife and the guy at the PF there helped us with the fingerprinting very quick and easy, but unfortunately I don't live there . That's the LAST STEP of the process and the sooner I do it , the sooner I can get it back authenticated . 
Does anybody have any tips or what type ink to use ? i tried the stamp ink and watched multiple YouTube videos but the practice fingerprints are still coming out really bad !!!!

Thank you

03/05/22

brisagiraol,

Try the Polícia Federal in Fortaleza, if the Polícia Federal helped you in Pernambuco.

I used the PF here. Gave them a card and they printed me right there.

Where on the FD-258 do you ask the PF to stamp? Would it be in under the "Employer and Address" section on the upper left hand side of the form? Thanks!

Daring12 wrote:

Where on the FD-258 do you ask the PF to stamp? Would it be in under the "Employer and Address" section on the upper left hand side of the form? Thanks!

If you are asking me. I do not recall that the PF stamped the form. PF took my prints on the form and I overnighted them to the FBI.

Thanks! Interesting. On the letter I received from the embassy to request the PF take my fingerprints, they request for the PF officer to sign and stamp. Maybe not actually necessary though.

Texan, do you see an advantage of overnighting them to an FBI Channeler instead of the FBI directly? My thinking was that Channeler may get the results quicker but maybe this is an unnecessary step/expense. Thanks!

I believe you can send it electronically with a channeler ( if so that is the way to go).  Either way, you need to have a tracking method to show PF you have requested the background check and for your ease of mind.

@LilythEster Hey! about to do this for my family reunion residency, but I have a question:  what did you put for the ORI section of the form??