Cooking like a local in Mauritius

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Mauritius.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Mauritius? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Mauritius?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

I learnt most of the local dishes from my late mother in law who was a great cook. Most dishes are easy to prepare. The most common ingredients are tomoatoes, garlic, ginger, thyme,  onion and curry leaves. All of this is readily available at the fresh market on days in your area or you can purchase them at places like Jumbo and food lovers. The family favourite is brede bouillon rice and snoek rougaille and sunday morning gateau pima. It was not difficult to learn. Pen and paper and observe😉

Hi Priscilla

I'm new to the island and am trying to learn the local dishes too. So far I have mainly learned stuff from my mother in law, but there are several local cook books available, although not all are available in English. They sell the books in any bookshop it jumbo etc. I have also looked up recipes online but sometimes it can be hard to find the Mauritian version of dishes. There is also a local TV show called Kitikwi that I've seen a couple of times, but it is in Creole so I can't always follow it ;)

Good luck!

Lisa