Cooking like a local in Costa Rica

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Costa Rica.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Costa Rica? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Costa Rica?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Anyone gonna touch this one? LOL.

samramon wrote:

Anyone gonna touch this one? LOL.

:lol:

Yep. I was thinking the same thing.  Well, the answer would actually be the same for each question, breakfast-rice and beans, lunch-rice and beans, dinner-rice and beans with a bit of chicken in it.  I did see a restaurant one time that offered pinto guyo with pina...wild!  Oh yeah, and a whole lot of oil.

Now I'm just waiting for a certain individual to come down on us because "where she lives" they have elegant cuisine and that our problem is that we live out in the "boonies."   :whistle:

- Expat Dave

Dave, have you ever ordered an omelette and gotten it completely smothered in oil as if it was deep fried?
I've only ever had this here in Costa Rica, and have had it at 3 different places! I now will no longer order an omelette here unless a gringo assures me it is not going to come smothered in oil.

Before someone says I'm being unfair let me say that there IS good food to be had in Costa Rica but it's not all that common.  And the "local cuisine" (I use the term loosely) is not anything to write home about.

I did find a really good Italian restaurant in La Fortuna.

It is certainly more than rice and beans 3 times a day.

I have a friend who is a very good baker and cook. However, even when making a pasta dish, she serves it with a side of rice & beans.

In our house we eat papaya,and drink delicious costa rican coffee,fresh baked bread from the local panaderia for breakfast.Lunch and dinner is comida typica.Casados con pescado fresco del mar,pollo,o bistec.Fresh salad or veggies,home made black beans slow cooked all day in outside kettle over wood.I skip the rice,but everyone else here loves it.Home made fresco from local fruit trees.Home made corn totillas,lovingly prepared by mi suegra.No salt,no surger, no dairy,no alcohol.Fresh water and lots of it.I've never tasted better food in my life.Not only good,but good for you.pura vida..

Surffeaver wrote:

In our house we eat papaya,and drink delicious costa rican coffee,fresh baked bread from the local panaderia for breakfast.Lunch and dinner is comida typica.Casados con pescado fresco del mar,pollo,o bistec.Fresh salad or veggies,home made black beans slow cooked all day in outside kettle over wood.I skip the rice,but everyone else here loves it.Home made fresco from local fruit trees.Home made corn totillas,lovingly prepared by mi suegra.No salt,no surger, no dairy,no alcohol.Fresh water and lots of it.I've never tasted better food in my life.Not only good,but good for you.pura vida..

Who cooks this delicious "rica" food?

I went to a Tico neighbor's house the other day and the wife cooked homemade tortillas with some flowers of itabo or "Saco ojo" plants with ? and it was very delicious. She also added some moringa to the coffe and that was very different but surprisingly tasty.

There are always exceptions to any "rule". I think Dave and I were just pointing out that  Costa Rica is not known for its great local cuisine.

Samramon,hola,,mi suegra,and mi esposa are the cooks in our house.We never eat out,don't want to.pura vida

Even though I haven't moved yet, I have loved the food in Costa Rica each time I've visited. I think casado is the best thing since sliced bread. A plate of rice, delicious black beans, plantains, squash and meat? Whole fresh fish? Yes, I can eat that every day. I even love the street food. Here, we eat sweet potatoes, chicken, and steamed kale several nights per week, so I'm looking forward to our boring menu of rice & beans with fresh fruits and veggies. I just need to learn how to make gallo pinto right. ;-)