Areas to live Davao

My condo lease in Cebu runs out soon and I have to consider where to look next. I have long thought Davao might be a place to consider, so will be visiting to check it out.
I need some information on where are the best parts in Davao and the region to look. I have tried search threads here but many of them are very old and places change.
Where I am living at the moment is IT Park Cebu, very nice and safe but expensive and very "westernised".
I would be most grateful if you could give me pointers as to where to start looking. A nice little house with a small lot and access to good internet would be perfect.
My requirements are quite flexible.
Thanks in advance

I'm Helping to have a house built  in Tagum City. I just got done spending 30 days over there I want to go back but I want to spend longer time at least three months while the house is being built what do I need to do To be able to spend more time there to help on the completion of the house what do I need to do?

Depending on the neighborhood, a house w/lot in the city is going to be expensive & hard to find. There are condos similar to what you have in Cebu, but pricey. I currently rent a large apartment in Marfori Heights area of central Davao for 16,000p, which is considered cheap. Nearby condos are 30k & up, but readily available.  Your best bet is to visit here for a couple days or so & check things out for yourself.

Simply extend your tourist visa at the BI in Davao City. Payable in 2 month increments for up to 3 years.

Davao City is good mate.  Being a foreigner my wife and i, bought a house in a subdivision with a 24hr guard.  Allows you to sleep sounder and much safer. We are 30 minute walk from the airport. Un disciplined drivers are your greatest concerns.

Thank you for let me know I can extend my visa every two months for up to three years I will check into that and check to find the address of the (BI) Bureau of immigration In Davao.

I guess my next question will be or is how much time in advance  should I go down and try to extend the visa before the visa expires?

BI is not hard to find, located on a main street. JP Laurel Ave, near Victoria Plaza shopping center. Just look for all the foreigners walking in & out of a gated entrance.
BI says to renew your tourist visa 2 weeks ahead of time. I always go the day before it expires & have never had any problems.

How much will it cost me at BI in Davao for a 3 year tourist visa?

Can only be renewed every 2 months for about 3,000 pesos. And you can do that for up to 3 years. They ended the 6 month extension this last January, though I've heard a few offices around the country still haven't gotten the memo. BI changes their rules & procedures often, so just be aware.

Buzzardman wrote:

My condo lease in Cebu runs out soon and I have to consider where to look next. I have long thought Davao might be a place to consider, so will be visiting to check it out.
I need some information on where are the best parts in Davao and the region to look. I have tried search threads here but many of them are very old and places change.
Where I am living at the moment is IT Park Cebu, very nice and safe but expensive and very "westernised".
I would be most grateful if you could give me pointers as to where to start looking. A nice little house with a small lot and access to good internet would be perfect.
Thanks in advance

Be careful. Most foreigners are under travel warning for all of Mindanao, and parts of Cebu, Negros, Bohol, and Palawan.

There is currently a civil war going on down there.

Davao City also has the highest murder rate in the country!

With the cancellation of 6 month extensions, guess it will be more practical to exit the Philippines and travel near to an asian country and be granted 1 year visa (Balikbayan - born in PI  but naturalized in another country) upon return to the Philippines.

Definitely, assuming you're married to a Filipina. Just enter the country with her & your marriage certificate, then request the BB stamp in your passport.

Im single. However whenever I enter PI immigration during my twice a year short vacation prior to retirement they usually granted me a BB (Balikbayan Visa) which was also given during my recent entry last year. Guess they recognized on my US passport stating "Country of Birth: Philippines". Never knew beforehand that a BB Visa was valid for one year until I visited BI office at JP Laurel and told me of that information. They also advised to remind immigration officer upon entry to recognize country of birth for a BB visa since at times they may overlook portion of that information. And I did review my old passport and there were times I was not granted a BB visa. At that time it never affected me since I was visiting for short stays.

Ok. I learned something new. I was aware that the BB visa is actually intended for OFW's and their spouses. So maybe with your Philippines orgin immigration thinks you're returning from working abroad. Like an OFW.

Can you back up your claims of Davao City having the highest number of deaths in the country.  Many would disagree.  Its much safer to live here than Manila where crime and drugs are out of control.

I bought  a house and lot in subdivision Apo Highlands about 25 minutes to Davo city hall for $51,000 AUD of a plan and the subdivision has a 24 hr guard, pool and function hall. The place had cheaper options just type in Apo Highlands subdivision to get an idea of what is available). Now considering purchasing land at Taigum for the future current price seen $2,300 AUD per 100 sqm. as my wife is from Mainit.

Cronus wrote:

Depending on the neighborhood, a house w/lot in the city is going to be expensive & hard to find. There are condos similar to what you have in Cebu, but pricey. I currently rent a large apartment in Marfori Heights area of central Davao for 16,000p, which is considered cheap. Nearby condos are 30k & up, but readily available.  Your best bet is to visit here for a couple days or so & check things out for yourself.

Hi Cronus, you have done well with your apartment for 16,000php

I am in Davao now and looking at furnished Condo with nice pool and walking distance to Down Town

The rates below are inclusive of Condo dues  (i.e. the owner of the condo pays the dues, not the renter) but Electric, water, gas, wifi, and cable TV paid for by the renter.

Studio is about 17,000php
1 bedroom is about 20,000 to 22,000php
2 bedroom is about 27,000 to 28,000php

Many nice areas for foreigners to buy houses in compounds with 24 hr guards. Many nice homes available for PHP 3 million mark.  We purchased a home in Cabantian about 30 minute walk from the airport.

Hi Mate,

I live in Davao - Near SM Ecoland - Great spot. Yes its a busy city, but I love it.

We were renting a condo at 4000 Ecoland, right across from SM mall.  Two bedrooms, balcony, large pool in the complex. 25,000/month on a year lease. Agree with Johni Joes--great spot.

wow. i rent a small house in digos for 3,500php... and the 6 months before i had a bigger one for 2,500php. i can also build houses, just waiting for that synchronic honeypot.

Hahaha where did you get your information Davao city one of the safest in Asia look
Up the crime rates in the philippines Davao will be way down on the list. I have lived in Davao for 7 years I wouldn't think of living in Detroit Los Angles or Chicago

Hope earthquake didn't hurt any of  your family or friends in Davao area. My wife's from there and expect to retire in area in 3 years. Live in Anchorage Alaska for 36 years now and had a 7.0 quake Nov 2018.  Some homes and buildings damaged. Luckily with our strictly enforced  building codes nobody died with an area population of around 400,000. So if you are building our buying a home it is very important what materials are used.

The condo I used to Iive in, opposite SM Davao, was three stories over a parking level. The parking level collapsed, so all the cars are pancakes. Apparently the building had been mostly evacuated when cracks appeared, it is now uninhabitable and will have to be demolished.

BALUT_BREATH wrote:
Buzzardman wrote:

Thanks in advance

Be careful. Most foreigners are under travel warning for all of Mindanao, and parts of Cebu, Negros, Bohol, and Palawan.

Is Bacolod city pretty safe?

robal wrote:
BALUT_BREATH wrote:
Buzzardman wrote:

Thanks in advance

Is Bacolod city pretty safe?

1 1/2 year old information.

Based in this Davao's murder rate is much lower than Chicago's:  http://davaotoday.com/main/politics/dcp … iminality/

Safe is a relative term but I would deem Bacolod safe.  There are parts of the US I would definitely consider much more dangerous than Bacolod and not go to; South Chicago, East St. Louis along with parts of L.A. come to mind.