Have Work Permit - Switching Companies

Hi all,

Hope somebody has a similar experience. I currently am working at one company and have a work permit and temporary residence card. I will be moving to a new company. Is it possible to transfer the work permit or must the new company apply for a new one?

Thank you!

New Company should apply for a new one, Company Sponsor will be different already.

This is hearsay but it came from my lawyer.  When you apply for the new WP you can reference the old permit and you will not have to provide new copies of your diploma and TEFL certificate.   Not as sure about the police check.  You may have to get a local one.  The new company will have to provide your new employment contract as well as make the application.

Did you keep a photocopy of the first WP for yourself?  You will need it if only to get the numbers to reference.  I expect the company has the original.  Obtaining new copies from them could get testy, depending on your relationship when you left.

Thanks both. It looks like it will have to be a fresh start, but I do have my current work permit, so I'll see if referencing that helps. (Luckily I'm also leaving on good terms, but I don't think HR can do anything to help - so it's up to the skill of the new company)