Bringing my surf board to Costa Rica

Surfing has been my latest choice of hobby. When I went to Indonesia and experienced surfing for the first time, I immediately fell in love with the sport. So when I got back to the states the first thing I did was invest in a good 9” surfboard. It did come with a price I must say it's totally worth it. This April I'm going to Costa Rica and hopefully I can catch some waves in Jaco. By the time I arrive, my brother will be done joining this singles latin tour event and he can join me in Jaco. He said he'll rent out a board so he can join me. But first, I need to know the basics about bringing a surfboard to another country. Do I need to present papers or something? Also, how much do airlines charge passengers for checked-in sports equipment?

This website 2017 Surfboard-Boarding fee guide although not necessarily into Costa Rica.

Hola todd33, you won't need to show any paperwork at the aduana for your surfboard,but it's always a good idea to bring a copy of the receipt with you.I had a board stolen from me here once and I got it back because I showed an officer of the fuerza publica my receipt and got my board back.Call your airline,they will tell you what the charge is to bring a board to cr.United charges $80 each way for a short board,yours might be more since it's a longboard.Playa Jaco doesn't have very good waves,but just south of there is Playa Hermosa,it gets good there.The swell starts to pump in April,bring your leash,pura vida. .