Introduction

Good day,

My name is Quentin Styger, I am a retiree on a Canadian government pension of ~90k+ CAD/yr. I would like to permanently live in Kuala Lumpur with my cat. I retired from the Canadian military and have military qualifications in the fields of medical technology and electronics (all lines of repair and operation) and am highly proficient in self defense and other military type fun stuff.

My intention is to live in Kuala Lumpur for the duration of my retirement (I'm 38 and I suspect i have another 40+ years left in this meat sack before expiration).

I have PTSD, BPD (unspecified) and MDD and am not a danger to myself nor to anyone else.

My religion is Seventh-Day Adventist.

I am undecided as to whether or not I will purchase residency as rent rates seem super convenient compared to purchase pricing.

I hope this is satisfactory for an introduction.

Hi Quentin,

It is such a blessing that you are able to get retired at the age of 38. Not many people can do it. Just my curiosity, Canada is a nice country and with you having a stable job in the military, what made you decided to relocate especially to Malaysia? I'm a Malaysian residing in new Zealand, I'm thinking of moving back home. But the first step to make the move works is so worrying. Worry that I will take the wrong move. As such, I'm interested to know people who decided to relocate. Hope you can share your experiences.

Kind regards,
Grace

Welcome, I love Malaysia for the most part and you're right not to consider buying any property at this time. Malaysia has excess of property, esp high end condos on the market and the rents are favorable vs purchase prices. One thing about property here is that most owners will not sell at a loss but will continue to feed the mortgage if the rent doesn't cover it. Because they MUST rent out the property to cover at least some of the mortgage they're forced to reduce rent to meet the low demand. But since they won't sell at a loss the selling prices really haven't gone down. At some point, unless the market turns around (unlikely looking at all the new construction almost complete) prices will drop.

One thing you should be aware of is that there are not a lot of resources in Malaysia for the treatment of PTSD and other related issues. And in some sectors you find some real fear regarding someone with such issues. Depression and BPD runs in my family so I'm very familiar with them and have some depression issues in the past. I'm not sure what resources are available if I need treatment for it. Hopefully you've got something in place or well enough not to need regular treatment, but my guess is Canada has much better treatment options.

In terms of cost of living you can do fine on what your retirement is and should easily qualify for MM2H. I think you would find life very interesting and fun, I personally love it here and plan to remain here indefinitely, probably, God Willing, will be buried here.

A quick addition to my previous post, health care in general is GREAT in Malaysia. I had a minor stroke last year, a couple of minor surgeries the year before and no complaints. I would say the treatment is as good as I got in the US (without the price tag of US health care).

It's just in the area of MH treatment there's not a lot available yet.