Knowing When to Stop For the Police

We've been staying in Sosua for the past three weeks and so far having a great time. Lot's of great places to eat, drink, meet new friends, etc.

One thing new that I noticed is that I noticed (as opposed to east and south coast) is that the police here seem to always have their flashing lights on at night. So my big question for when we're able to drive here is how do I know when I should stop for the police?

I've been seeing them with their lights flashing and no one stops - in fact the motor conchos sometimes  just seem to cut them off.

Any insight?

Thanks, JOHN

Absolutely normal behavior. NO respect for emergency vehicles.

It is normal, if they are speeding, move over to let them pass, don't stop for them.  Sometimes I think that they just like the lights. It may also be a warning to potential wrong doers to be aware of their presence.   Don't worry, if they want you to stop they will make it evident!  We should really discuss this this over a libation or two. Contact me by cell or PM.

I have not been to DR yet (going for month of May) but I am assuming it is similar to Mexico and Brazil. They drive with lights on so the plublic will notice them and therefore think there are more police than there are.

It's just the lack supervision and a cohesive patrol guide. No two ways about it if they want you , you will know !

Could it be those MPOC trucks?  It confused us as well.  They always have their blue lights flashing.

Not only do the MPOC trucks drive with their lights on all the time they drive at 20 MPH blocking traffic an cause a hazard as everyone tries to pass them, many times without regard to safety.

Bob K

Ambulance, fire trucks, police and MOPC they all do it and no one moves for them. No one cares here.

Unless its AMET, I never stop for police unless they pull next to me and flag me over. The military police may try to pull you over when they set up next to the road to shake you down for money, but these are not official stops and I have quit stopping for those as well. They normally have one big truck and its not like they are going to chase you.

Thanks everyone!

Never stop unless they absolutely force you.

i was driving recently outside of Santiago and saw a couple national police trucks. There were a group of police standing on the side of the road and they motioned for me to pull over. The oldest one who looked like the boss came over and stuck his head inside my car , exchanging pleasantries while looking around my interior.
Then he asked for identification and i showed him my drivers license from Florida.
''Oh from miami '' he said and then he asked for some lunch money.
I gave him 100 pesos, he smiled and walked away after wishing me a nice day.

I have been all over the country 20 times and I always see police with there lights on. I have never stopped except when they step out in front of you to do a license and insurance check. Just make sure you have your seat belt on or they will ask you for 200 pesos.