Mauritian Driving License?

We have just moved to Mauritius and have local US drivers licenses. On previous trip, police had told me I can drive in Mauritius while on holidays with my US drivers license and it was no problem.

But now that we have moved here, I am wondering if we need to apply for a Mauritian Driving license?

Has anyone done it?

If so, where did you do it and did you have to take any tests again??

How do I get a local one.. the Mauritius Police Force website does not have much info about it..

Thank you!

Hi

You will need to head down to the central police station in Port Louis. You will need original & copies your drivers licence, passport, residence permit, drivers licence pictures ( can't remember how many 2 or 4) and a letter written & signed by you requesting for the department to convert your drivers licence. (i think they may also require proof of address a phone bill or rates. i cant remember). They let you keep your licence so you will have both.

There is a special office for that so when you get to the police station explain you want to convert your licence.

I did mine about 3 or so years back. It took about a week from the day I handed everything in.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Thank you so much for the great information 411! Will try to get that done once my wife gets her residence permit.

Bummer that it has to be done in Port Louis. I wish local stations could handle these.

Thanks,
Nilesh

Just checking
I thought i saw somewhere you need a letter from your country of origin as well as your current driving licence and passport, permit etc stating it is your driving licence or something to that effect now i cant find that document. Can anyone confirm exactly what you need to get a local licence issued

@411

Sorry your post is quite old, but I saw that you got your Mauritian license and I was wondering whether you also have the additional note in the license that it is 'Valid until - date of your 60th birthday'?

I got the Mauritian license many years back and they put this note in the license although Mauritian licenses nor my German license have any age restriction for its validity. I haven't met any Mauritian yet whose license is valid only until he will be 60 years. I will be 60 this year and I am wondering about the validity of that note in my license and I am wondering what I will have to do to get rid of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.