Newbies from Vancouver Island

We are hoping to spend 4 months this winter either in the Sosua Bay Area or Punta Cana having been to AI's in both places. Going to start off renting for a couple years and then decide if we want to make it permanent. Always looking for advise from others that have made the move.

Those are two pretty different choices and will have two different experiences.  What are you looking for?

Bob K

Thanks for the reply Bob. We have been to both places and at this point leaning towards PC. Looking for beach, sun and rum. Safety is a big concern as well.

Safety is looking both ways when crossing the street. It is also common sense, a modicum of street smarts too.   This country has been much maligned lately without basis.  Crime is everywhere so therefore use the same care as you would in any country in the world including your own.   I prefer the North coast for the interaction with the Dominicans & also the greater variety of things to do.  The proximity to many diverse options is endless. Welcome & wherever you choose, smile, lay back & enjoy your new life.

Agreed and definitely travel with that in mind. I realize it can and has happened even in the realm of our own country.

Tinker is correct.  If you are interested in being a beach or pool potato, relaxing on beautiful beaches and be in a tourist orientated zone then Punta Cana is for you

If you are interested in beautiful beaches AND want to experience a bit of the Dominican Republic, interact with the local population and way of life,  Be in an are with lots of expats, locals and tourists then the north coast is what you at looking for.

In either case have a great time.

Bob K

You are getting good feedback here.  I agree as well. 2 totally different experiences of.lide here.

It all depends on what you are looking for and the other consideration is your economic means. Punta Cana will be more expensive as well.

Keep checking them both out and do what feels right for you!