Handicap accessibility for wheelchair bound individuals

I am beginning to consider retirement options in Mexico. I am wondering about handicap accessibility for a wheelchair bound individual. Any expats living in Mexico who can speak on this issue? So far, I am looking at the Lake Chapala area. Thank you for your feedback. Lomadean

lomadean wrote:

I am beginning to consider retirement options in Mexico. I am wondering about handicap accessibility for a wheelchair bound individual. Any expats living in Mexico who can speak on this issue? So far, I am looking at the Lake Chapala area. Thank you for your feedback. Lomadean

I cyber walked the streets of Merida with Google earth.  I have cyber walked some areas in Lake Chapala.  It's a very nice area but with my dads COPD living at an elevation of 6,000 ft wouldn't be the best case scenario for him.  My husbands wheelchair is built for variations in terrain and he can make it over smaller curbs -- that thing is a beast -- watch out when he's in it  :D .  Even in the states I am somewhat frustrated at times with the lack of accessibility -- I couldn't believe the main hospital in Springfield, IL; it was very dangerous when I was trying to push him in a regular wheelchair outside the hospital ER!  I was appalled!  I guess it depends on how much wheelchair travel you plan to do.  Are you by yourself with a lightweight chair you take in and out of the car by yourself?  Do you plan to do this without help?  I can get my husband up a few stairs but it is NOT easy and he couldn't do it by himself.  He would have to get out of the chair, scoot up the steps dragging the chair, and get back in.  I would cyber walk the area you are looking at; plan a typical day and google earth your travel.  Lake Chapala had some nice sidewalks, and some very narrow streets that would be concerning for me if I were in a wheelchair.  But, hey, so does the US...

As an after thought I began to wonder about handicapped parking.  I don't remember seeing anything, but that doesn't mean anything.  I wasn't specifically looking for it.  That could be a problem for many people, people who can't walk far due to numerous health issues.  My dad isn't in a wheelchair, but he can't walk very far.

Where I live (Coatepec, Veracruz) I can find handicapped parking in all supermarket lots, none on the street. I don't use a wheelchair (yet) but do depend on a cane. Most downtown street corners have ramps, and although the sidewalks are seldom level, they are usually wide enough to be negotiated. The altitude here is 4,000 feet, not too high for comfort, high enough for good weather most of the year.

Babs G. wrote:

Where I live (Coatepec, Veracruz) I can find handicapped parking in all supermarket lots, none on the street. I don't use a wheelchair (yet) but do depend on a cane. Most downtown street corners have ramps, and although the sidewalks are seldom level, they are usually wide enough to be negotiated. The altitude here is 4,000 feet, not too high for comfort, high enough for good weather most of the year.

Hi Babs, I wasn't familiar with the city you referred to so I googled it.  It is very nice! Google Earth had a video clip of the sweetest little boy playing, I believe with his grandmother, and she had a walker in front of her -- small world.  There were a lot of pictures on the side menu of the city, and this one showed the street with wheelchair access to the sidewalk.

Again, as an after thought, does Mexico require handicapped parking stickers to use the spots?  I would assume they do, but in some cultures respect for the rules is a given and you are shunned by society if you don't adhere to the rules.

generally speaking the handicap accessibility is spotty in all of the areas I have seen.  Handicapped people here manage in light weight chairs and some walkers. Sadly like in the U.S. no one has properly trained the people with walkers in the use of walkers,

Is Mexico a handicapped helpful place? definitely not. Yes they have handicapped parking which is honored and enforced. Yes there are declies that act as raps, some would work, but others would be scary. The handicapped people here remind me of war veterans, they are very skilled at getting in and out of places most handicapped would fear to go.

I lost count of all the cities I have been in long ago, but I have been in enough to say even the big cities are not as handicapped focused as most of the U.S. Given that their handicapped either have family help or are fit handicapped , they probably don't see a need. Many of the sidewalks are narrow and in less than ideal condition, many streets are narrow and full of cars. Traffic may or may not honor people in the walkways, then motos go where ever they can to get there as fast as possible with little regard for rules or regulations. They are risky for cars, risky for pedestrians and I'm sure they would be risky for the handicapped. The wheelchairs I have seen are usually occupied by fit  looking grisseled men with something to sell or their hand out.

With the increase in obesity and diabetes the country will have to make changes eventually, but currently their focus is on constructing, pretty, and tourists.  So it will be awhile.