Immigration and Overstay Issues

By Dominican Law, the airlines are supposed to ask you if you have a return ticket if you are not a Dominican Citizen or a Legal Resident in the DR.  If they don ask, they could face hefty fines.

True Windy

Yesterday at JFK I used the automated kiosk to check in...
It asked me for my visa type.... advising me that a visa is necessary to visit RD
(perhaps b/c of the one way ticket)

I showed it to the attendant and mentioned I was running late for my flight.
She ushered me to the Help Desk for a fast boarding pass.

This happens regularly at JetBlue / JFK
NO kiosk check-in.... Help Desk... I've done it before

Planner.

Thanks.  I fly international regularly.  I lived in China for 2.5 years and the Ukraine 3 months last fall.  I am a 6 level contributor on Trip advisor.com and hotels.com and booking.com.

In all my travels it cost upwards of , $175.00 USD to cancel.  I bought a ticket to come here and they had a 24 hour FREE. Cancellation.  But when I called within the 24 hours, I was told it would cost me $75.00.  And it was advertised as FREE 24 hour cancellation. 

Who do you know where I can get cheap tickets with a cancellation clause?  I would appreciate receiving their coordinates.

Blessings

Interesting fact to know that the airline is held responsible.  Thanks Planner. in America we men would call you a "doll baby" for helping us.

As previously mentioned, I have come here 3 times this year and never had a return ticket.

You would surely have to buy two one way tickets. If you had a round trip you can only change the return with a fee.

Even if you check in at a booth, clear immigration, dont be suprised if you get called at the gate to show your return ticket or in my case proof of residency. Happens to me all the time with Jet Blue in SJU.

Some visitors are able to fly without a return ticket.  Not supposed to happen, but it does. Your next trip may be different.   I have heard that a fully refundable return ticket is the way to go if you do need to show a return ticket.  But if there is no such thing as a fully refundable ticket any more, then I have no idea what you can do . ....

Yes buy it on a different airline if needed.   I know it is done but I have not done it personally.  Check flights to  Cuba and to Puerto Rico or Miami from here. 

Don't try to cancel  half of a 2 way  ticket. That is my best advice.....

"doll baby"  gotta like that....   :gloria

All tickets are refundable within 24 hrs... new rule a few years ago.
I've done it....
planned a trip then cancelled

Some airlines allow a 3-7 price lock for $7
UAL does.
That's a handy option
FareLock then never buy.... to escape the round trip rule

A price lock is not a ticket so that part doesn't work.

See my previous comment.  I tried to cancel less than 3 weeks on American Airlines.  Within the 24 hour FREE Cancellation timeline.  They said it would be $75.00 to cancel.  This just happened in the 3rd week in December.

When did anyone reading this, use the 24 hour FREE Cancellation clause and not get charged?  What airline and where were you flying from and to?  Month of the year?   

Appreciate any specific that was personally experienced by anyone.

Gracias

I use Expedia and have cancelled without charge a few times within 24 hours.

So in theory, you could buy your return as a separate trip just prior to checking in on your inbound trip to DR and cancel on arrival within 24 hours for nowt.

Personally, I wonder how one justifies not buying a return ticket with anticipated return date knowing that you will be charged a modest change fee if you had to change dates (on a likely cheaper original return itinerary rather than two single trips), in the knowledge you could get challenged for a return ticket at either check in counter, departure desk, arrival immigration counter or by a PN or DGM in DR as proof of your intended return.

My advice is follow various country's foreign office advice to visitors to have an       onward or return ticket when visiting DR.

I used Cheapoair buying my ticket this trip.  It appears there are different FREE 24 hour cancellation policies.  I can tell you less than 3 weeks ago they were going to charge me as I indicated. 

Obviously as I also stated, I never know how long I will stay.  One was as short as 3 weeks and the last as long as 56 days.  So it is impossible to get a round trip ticket.  I fly extensively.  I have a 10 year Visa for China.  And a Visa for Vietnam.  Ukraine doesn't require a Visa and allows you to stay 90 days out of every 180 days which you can use all at once as I did.  I stayed 83 days.

I have been to the Dominican Republic 7 times in 4 years and never bought a roundtrip ticket and never had a problem.  I never knew there was a problem. This blog was the first time I heard anything about needing a return flight when entering the Dominican Republic. 

I also discussed this with American flight attendants when I was filling out the Immigration form on the airplane in flight.  I never saw the entry on the form in July when I came here.  In July, there was no disclosure that you needed a return flight before entering.  So the form changed since July. And although it was on the new form, I was told to put POP airport only and left the flight information blank. 

Note.  As previously stated, this arrival was the first time I had to write the physical address where I was staying.  Every other time, when I came here, I would put Luperon with no physical address.  So definitely things are changing.

I am still waiting to hear from anyone who has access to cheap fares and carriers who provide FREE Cancellation.

Thanks guys.  Especially "doll baby".  You know who you are.  Lol

My lawyer sent me this for those of you who need clarification.

Tarifa Vigente

30 Días A 90 Días = RD$ 2,500.00

3 A 9 Meses = RD$ 4,000.00

9 A 12 Meses = RD$ 5,000.00

12 A 18 Meses = RD$ 6,500.00

These times are of course in excess of the 30 day stay.

Most just pay an overstay fee at the airport when leaving the DR. But if you are interested in extending the tourist visa prior to  leaving here is what the latest info from Immigration indicates:

Content of circular DSAC / DAM 019020 of the Vice Ministry of Consular and Migratory Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Dominican Republic, is reported, reporting migratory categories, permanence, procedures, requirements and sanctions applicable to foreign citizens in the Dominican Republic:

- The migratory categories contemplated by the Migration Law No. 285-04 are Resident and Non-Resident. The tourist is Non-resident and is allowed to remain in the territory of R.D. for a period of up to 60 days renewable for another 60. 120 days in total.

- To apply for the extension, those who enter with a tourism card have 30 consecutive days in Dominican territory, who enter with a visa have 60 days, in accordance with Application Regulation No. 631-11 of Law No. 285-04.

- Foreigners who wish to reside in the Dominican Republic, staying in Dominican territory beyond the period allowed for Non-Residents, must be provided with a visa for residency purposes in the corresponding Dominican consular representation.

- Temporary residences, defined by art. 48 of Regulation No. 631-11 are for one year, renewable annually. In cases of family reunification, rentier and retired or pensioned (Article 50 of the same regulation) are renewed after one year after the issuance and every two years after the first renewal.

- Law 285-04 empowers the DGM (Directorate General of Migration) to declare illegal entry or stay of foreigners in Dominican territory, when they can not prove their situation in the country. Similarly, it allows you to apply for non-admission when they extend their tourist stay beyond the authorized extension to 120 days.

Key word is CONTEMPLATED.  Way to muddy the waters. Now we will have everyone talking about this as if it's law!!!!

There are plenty of folks that have extended their tourist visas by making a written request to Immigration explaining the reason for the extension.

But, it is much easier just to pay an exit fee at the airpot upon leaving the DR.

My friend requested an extension via the Puerto Plata Immigration office.

I went to the airport yesterday to ask for an extension and the immigration officer told me that I can just pay an overstay fee when I leave. She said it was 4000 peso for 6 months and 5000 up to 9 months. She said that this isn't a problem.
So many conflicting stories though.

Yes.  I and several others have reported this on the forum numerous times.  Were you able to read them?

About the Inmigration office telling about the overstay just pay the fee on departure day will take time to change, they are used just to make a charge and this new rule didnt start to enforce so strongly, but it looks like will be changing gradually.

About the tickets the airlines sells diferents class on the tickets, always the cheapest one has a lot restrictions, some of them do not has cancelation option so if you cant fly you will lose your money, so is very important that you read the restriction  before you buy what kind of ticket are you buying.    This option is avilable only buying on the airline website, online travel agencies usually do not show all the information about it.

so what to do to prevent this problem?

To avoid any potential issues with overstays or the need to purchase a return ticket, become a resident or a citizen of the DR.

If you just want to visit without ever getting residency and you are told you need a return ticket, buy a fully refundable return ticket and get the refund as soon as you arrive in the DR. Then pay the exit fine/fee when you leave the DR as long as that is possible to do so.

Those are the options I am aware of at the moment.

windeguy wrote:

To avoid any potential issues with overstays or the need to purchase a return ticket, become a resident or a citizen of the DR.

If you just want to visit without ever getting residency and you are told you need a return ticket, buy a fully refundable return ticket and get the refund as soon as you arrive in the DR. Then pay the exit fine/fee when you leave the DR as long as that is possible to do so.

I will add also the option to apply for a  Dominican Visa that let you stay up to 60 days, and if you need more than 60 days then apply for an extention.

Riva31 wrote:
windeguy wrote:

I will add also the option to apply for a  Dominican Visa that let you stay up to 60 days, and if you need more than 60 days then apply for an extention.

I do not know of anyone personally from North America that has successfully done the extension and 60 days still does not help snowbirds very much. It is quite the hassle for just another 30 days.

Yes, I know and more when most of the people choose just to pay before leave, but the information on their website says that is possible to do an extention of your stay.

They should do it more simple for those people willing to stay up to 6 months, I would say for those people coming with Visas to extend the time of staying when you come with a vista from 60 days up to 180 days.

I have canadian visa and I read in the  Canadian Inmigration Website that when I enter to Canada if the inmigration officer do not write in my passport the date I must leave, I can stay in  Canada up to 6 months, but I never do it as I go on vacations and never stayed more than 15 days.

Same thing with my Mexican visa, I went to Cancun last august and they wrote in the inmigration form that we most return before  departure back home 180 days and I went there for 5 days.

I think that would be the best thing to solve the snowbird problem with overstaying.

Riva some of your info is out of date. The tourist visa is 30 days only and extendable for  30 more. That is a TOTAL of  60 days.  Thats it there is nothing more on a tourism visa.

Nothing is extendable here to 180 days, nothing.

planner wrote:

Riva some of your info is out of date. The tourist visa is 30 days only and extendable for  30 more. That is a TOTAL of  60 days.  Thats it there is nothing more on a tourism visa.

Nothing is extendable here to 180 days, nothing.

Maybe didnt explain very well my thoughs in english, what I mean is the goverment should do it that way and let people stay with visas up to 180 days.

Perhaps we should run with posts #296 & #298 written by an Immigration lawyer to clarify the possibilities for a tourist visa extension?

I always come top DR with a return ticket-no open ticket.

My return is always just under 3 months.  To date no one has ever asked to see my ticket.

If for any reason I were questioned I would say that I am going to the immigration office to apply for an extension Visa for 2 months which is currently the maximum over and above the 30 day tourist card..  This application for extension can only be done in DR and not in your country of departure.

If they bring in new Visas for 3 and 6 months that would be great, because then it can be done in your country, hopefully eventually on-line like most other countries.

Ducketts

Riva - I understand and agree.

We have at least 2 immigration lawyers who get referrals from the  forums.  But it seems taking the time to actually participate isn't worth it to them.

I will ask a lawyer to write me a response and I will post it.

this isnt confirmed at all. you saying that it is confirmed is not confirmation. sorry I know that will make some people mad. I speak on a weekly basis with people re-entering the country after multiple overstays. I can confirm that every week.

I can confirm that the DR is riddled with constant rumors but without some specifics. like for example a letter from immigration. or some specific example of people being denied re-entry I think there no confirmation

I think it is possible that the generally incompetent dominican immigration is looking at some new list related to issues with particular travelers and then using previous overstay as a reason to reject

I cant over state the fact that I have been looking very carefully for actual "confirmation" and have found none

this is not confirmation at all. this is a rumor being repeated

What we're hearing is the government collecting data.. entry/exit info
Fingerprints..... overstay payment records

What will they do w/ that?
Why are they doing that ?

You tell me

BTW- you can confirm all the above activities

Big Carl I am not sure exactly what you are referring to that is "not confirmed".  There are many comments on this thread!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please share in private message and recommend in the business directory. Thank you

Excellent post, thank you

Ducketts

Good info. Thanks.