Immigration and Overstay Issues

I should have added 'ambiguous' to my list of....'arbitrary', etc.  Note also all the times we see people saying how various lawyers tell them different things.

So I get this straight in my head:  if I'm coming to visit for 30 days or less I can use a tourist visa, now supposedly paid to the airline and forwarded to the DR.

If for longer than that I can get the 60 day visa but only if I'm applying for residency?  Is this correct?

We had envisioned wintering in Sosua for 2-3 months.  We won't be applying for residency until we know for sure we want to.

Yes Colonel,  I am the  repeater of what was told to me by someone who read spanish fluently and is a lawyer.

Tripp -  first time just come on your tourist visa. Overstay and pay the fine to be sure you want to live here. The next time prepare to file your residencia applications,  then you get a  60 day Visa to apply.   That is how I would do it if it were me.

Nobody knows, nothing confirmed.  The thread's name is a sort of false advertising.

I'll bet everybody will continue to do it the normal way, overstay and pay the shakedown.  I don't think even they are dumb enough to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Jeez Colonel we are not changing the damn name of the thread, let it go will you.

And yes things are likely to continue as they are.  However it will not surprise me if they start cracking down.  They will make things worse before they get better,  as always.

OK, and a few people wrote me privately insisting that the dr gov IS dumb enough to shoot themselves in the foot, for awhile, then realize how dumb they were, then change it again.  I stand corrected.

Hahahahahahahaha OMG  that is funny.

Aw, c'mon Planner - add a comma to the title and the title will be fully truthful:  'Confirmed, issues with OVERSTAY OF TOURISM VISA' would indicate, quite rightly that it is, in fact, confirmed that there are issues regarding the Overstay of Tourism VISAs. ;)

Hahaha outside my power honey. Not my thread  :D

Thanks Planner.  We're pretty much committed to buying and building at this point.  Just not sure about retiring  and declaring residency there. 
On our past visits we've enjoyed the place a lot, and we are both kind of adventurous.  hopefully we're right!  LOL!

I hope you are right as well!!!

Summary of Thread:   It IS in deed confirmed that the dr policies are; ambiguous, arbitrary, easily bribed, confusing, ever changeable, etc.  AND, we have to be careful about talking about people getting conned, because apparently it might hurt the self esteem of........the con artists.  A recent thread was closed down because of that concern.

Your summary was correct. I did not however see a thread being closed and will go check.

If there was a policy violated I was not aware of it and will go see what happened. Thanks!

There is likely a reason and the person who reported may want to come into line with the policy and repost.  I thought the thread  was very useful.

I looked and it was closed for possible defamation.  It was the first and only post by the poster.   I can understand this. 

I will find out what the rules are for posting this type of allegation.  It usually will include publishing your real name as well as the  other parties names.

Thanks Colonel for bringing it up.

OK, for sure it could hurt the self-esteem of mechanics and used car salesmen and the other con artists if we defame them.

Its a legal issue for the site honey!

OK, since it's a critical legal issue, I formally apologize to any offence given to the the crooked mechanics, used car salesmen and shyster lawyers in the dr.   I've just heard that there are laws about that too, and apparently those laws are also; vague, contradictory, arbitrary, and stupid, in order to match all the other ones.

Hahahahaha  but naming names over the internet is not allowed.  You cannot be specific so then you are falling into line with  vague non specific contradictory and arbitrary too.....LOL

way to go planner,tell it like it is, you are the best. best wishes  PugyPugy

:D:D:D

Thank you for posting this Planner. This has been a concern of mine.  I didn't think by sticking a for sale sign in front yard that it would sell in one day  at full ask so quickly and I'm panicking a little because I don't know the laws in regards to staying. If I am correct I can stay up to 3 months without residence? Also I know someone there that will vouch for me so if anyone knows a good lawyer to contact about applying for my residence I would be interested. I only have two weeks to move out and even though happy to sell home I'm now freaking out like what the heck was I thinking? Anyone else go through this when moving out of US? Not re-thinking my move just rethinking that this is all just too fast. Can I extend tourist visa to six months and how long do I have to wait to re-enter country once I leave when my visa expires?

You can contact Wilson Rood [email protected]

No you dont have 90 days on a tourist visa you have 30 and can extend an additional 30 but its not automatic.

My opinion - you are likely fine to come down for several months to make sure this is where you want to live before you go back home and start the residencia process. When you leave yiu will pay the overstay fee.

Thanks Planner

I've been following this very amusing thread and I have several questions still and confirmations desired.  We arrived April 25th and are leaving beginning of November.  This is our fist time here.

I can go to Puerto Plata and pay for an additional 30 day tourist visa correct.  But only once. 

After my 60 days I'm in violation but there is nothing to be done but wait until we leave in November and then pay the over stay fee.  Can I try going every 30 days and just getting another tourist visa?  Might that work?  Or will they deport me when I show up at the office a second, third and fourth  time.

What happens if I overstay but then have to fly back to the states before November and then want to come back.  Will they let me back in the country.

What shall we expect to pay for the overstay fee?

What happens if you are leaving the country and you don't have the money to pay the overstay fee?  Do they make you stay and then deport you?  lol  What if they deport you?  Who pays the airfare out of the country?  (partly joking here but seriously curious)

I know you get all these questions all the time and there may not be any answers.  I'm just hoping to get some clarification.

Thanks

Regarding all those questions, it's a definite maybe. Looks like you didn't read the whole thread, confirming, what I just did.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed, please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Some responses for you IN CAPS:

We arrived April 25th and are leaving beginning of November.  This is our fist time here.

I can go to Puerto Plata and pay for an additional 30 day tourist visa correct.  But only once.  I AM NOT SURE THIS CAN ACTUALLY BE DONE IN PUERTO PLATA.  IT USED TO BE ONLY SANTO DOMINGO AND YES ONLY ONCE.

After my 60 days I'm in violation but there is nothing to be done but wait until we leave in November and then pay the over stay fee.  Can I try going every 30 days and just getting another tourist visa?  YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY TO GET A NEW TOURIST VISA.

Might that work? NO  NOTE: SOME GO TO HAITI TO GET A NEW TOURIST VISA = BLOODY EXPENSIVE TO DO THIS EVERY  30 DAYS. YOU PAY TO GO OVER THE BOARDER AND YOU PAY TO GET BACK IN!

Or will they deport me when I show up at the office a second, third and fourth  time. THEY ARE NOT LIKELY TO DEPORT YOU EITHER.

What happens if I overstay but then have to fly back to the states before November and then want to come back.  Will they let me back in the country. PROBABLY BUT THERE ARE NO LONGER ANY GUARANTEES - WE DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR PLANS ARE. fIRST TIME OFFENCES ARE NOT LIKELY TO ATTRACT ATTENTION.

What shall we expect to pay for the overstay fee? I BELIEVE IT IS 4,000 RD EACH

What happens if you are leaving the country and you don't have the money to pay the overstay fee?  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MONEY!!!! DONT PUSH YOUR LUCK.

Do they make you stay and then deport you?  lol  What if they deport you?  Who pays the airfare out of the country?  (partly joking here but seriously curious) I THINK YOU WAIT IN JAIL WHILE THE PROCESS YOUR DEPORTATION???!!!!  I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS AS FOR SURE YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN AGAIN.

A lot of "maybes" & "probablys" & "likely" in here.
They do have the option of not allowing you BACK into
the country if you have overstayed before!
This is "NEW".
Herein lies the problem, correct, anybody?
Tom.

Not new. They have always had this option.

Yes Planner!
What I should have said instead was:
THEY ARE NOW ENFORCING THAT OPTION NOW!
Tom

Trusted sources say that a definite.....maybe.   Just like always.

Being denied entry still seems to be a hit and miss. One of my friends who has been in and out of the country quite a lot, always staying for more than 30 days, recently came back after spending only one month in Canada. He had absolutely no problem at the airport.

Yes it is happening minimally for sure and no rhyme or reason to it.

So, like death, when your number's up, it's up. Back on the bus. :)

Well.....that is one way to put.it...

At which airports does it occur most often? Are there any common points to consider? Country of origin,  race, clothing etc?  Logical & rational enforcement of any & all llaws,  ca easily boggle one's mind. I'm boggled almost daily. but then again, I'm easy to boggle. I prefer to be the boggler so to speak.

As I stated there appears to be no rhyme or reason it's inconsistent.

Yes Planner, we are just confirming the fact that, YES. WE ARE LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST & LIVING IN THE PARADISE CALLED THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS!  <3  :)
Tom, here in Cabrera!  <3  :)

Me too my friend, me too!!!