Intercultural relationships in Tanzania

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Tanzania. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Tanzania.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Tanzania?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I was in a relationship with a British man for about a year. We were engaged to be married but sadly things didn't work out for us and we broke up three months before the wedding. His parents were strongly against him marrying a Tanzanian woman and so, he decided to return to the UK, leaving me severely depressed for months.

One of the greatest benefits of being in a mixed relationship IMO, is a child or children that will be the bridges between two worlds.I really, really, badly wanted to have such children, but as he was gone, so was my dream.

I know my relationship didn't turn out well, but to all those who are in a mixed relationship, if you want it to be a successful one, remember that it takes a lot of trust, respect, honesty, patience, understanding and ENDURANCE. I bolded this last word, as I have witnessed many mixed relationships fail all because they could not endure the challenges that come with it - such as finding
difficulty in adapting to a partner's culture, traditions, lifestyle, beliefs, religion, behavior, difficult in-laws, environment, country.....and the list goes on!

I know one amazing foreigner who has been married to a Tanzanian man for over 40 years. When asked how she coped, knowing that her life has been full of struggles in this country, she says, "Well, I'm a tough old bird!" 

Also, we African women are not as liberated as our western counterparts when it comes to cohabiting. Living with a man without marital ties here is against cultural norms - even though some young women are nowadays having a lax attitute toward it.