Intercultural relationships in Spain

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Spain. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Spain.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Spain?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Pricilla.

I'm Namibian and i'm married to a Spanish. One thing i can tell you is that Spain is one of the richest cultures in the world in my opinion. Being married to a Spaniard gives me opportunity to learn a lot about their culture and i love it.
Intercultural marriages is accepted and is becoming very common in Spain.

I am sorry to have to say this but I found Spain to be very racist and intolerant, they looked down their noses on us, my little granddaughter was shunned, so me personally I would not go back to Spain, however Portugal is great, humble and very mixed. If you are already in Spain I hope that your experience is different to mine

I'm sorry that you had that experience in Spain, however i think being a racist is not a cultural thing, it's a personal thing. But then again i did not live long enough in Spain to experience this kind of ignorance. I'm glad that Portugal is treating you nicer ;)

I first came spain in 1962 for a holiday. I then visited a number of times for holidays and in 1983 I bought a property

In 1987 I came to live in spain

For 20 years I have been a volunteer worker with the national police   

My asian wife has lived in spain 11 years

Apart from a very occasional instance we have never experienced any problems of a cultural  nature and never had a racist experience

I do not think we have just been lucky !

I must agree with Adrienne, my gf is asian and eyeballs literary roll out of people's faces in spain, first I thought its because they are not used to see asians, but thinking about all the china shops there are then this cant be the reason.

Hi I'm Lita white British and married to an Asian Pakistani man, not had any racist comments in UK, but not been to Spain yet hope to come towards the end of the year, be interesting to see what we face.

I am english / Irish and white.  My wife is Asian
I have a property in spain since 1983 and have lived there n slain for 30 years. 

My wife has lived here 12 years

Never at any time have we experienced any racist behaviour from any Spaniards.   Just occasionally we get a second glance from U.K. nationals who are clearly visiting spain

PS as my wife is much younger than me and  very pretty.  It may of course be that any second glance is  admiring her or they are envious is me !