Intercultural relationships in Germany

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Germany. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Germany.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Germany?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Intercultural relationships are common and generally accepted in Germany. I am in one myself.
There is almost no discrimination in Germany (although mental prejudices and the occasional racist idiot do exist), but as with foreigners everywhere there is a chance of miscommunication and misinterpretation for both sides.
And, also the same as elsewhere, multicultural relationships are more difficult, require more effort and tolerance than mono-cultured ones. It is certainly never boring in one!

Of course intercultural relationship and marriage exist in Germany but not so often as in other western countries like UK or USA because of language barrier and all Germans are not so open minded type.Only the ones who is born and brought up can easily mix and an expat will find it difficult .Especially for a real relationship .I am not talking about dating or short affairs .This is from my personal experience

The cultural differences between U.S. Americans and Germans are subtle when compared to many other European countries. I'm thinking mostly of Italy and France here, I think Holland and the Scandinavian countries are more similar to Germany than different.
The result is that an "intercultural" marriage isn't really that far apart. As with any two people from different regions, personal experience in upbringing play a role - musical taste, food, family habits and such. As long as there is a common language, one that is mastered by both parties, preferably two languages, getting along probably isn't more difficult between the two countries than within two regions of the U.S. But the advantages are bigger - we're in Europe. How cool is that?
(I should know, I've had two marriages ;-)

Hello everyone, well for me being in this kind of relationship hasnt been an problem within the relationship, we learn every day about our cultures and we embrace our differences, sometimes is a bit difficult of course, u have to learn to accept and to teach you have to understand everyone has different points of view but if you are willing a relationship shouldnt be a problem you just have to be open an communicate with your couple.

marriage i had several issues, the rules are complicated difficult and expensive and not many people is willing to help you, i was in a bit of a hurry to come to germany because we found out after marring in colombia with my husband that i was pregnant and i had abortion alert and still we didnt received guide or help, i had to travel 4 times in my condition but thanks to live i arrived here for the last time one week before i had to give birth to my baby of just 6 months, it hasnt been easy and i spent 4 months every day in hospital with my baby which was saddly not 100% good since i had many people regecting me, insulting me even some people throwed food at my face so i havent been very accepted luckly the medical team was very supportive with me.

if you decide to make a step like me to go to abroad with your husband or wife just arm yourself of patience love and good energy and always comunicate calmly and sweet to your couple and all will work out good, its not easy it takes work but being with my little family in one house has worth all the issues that we went trough..

good luck and i wish the best for everyone that is going after a dream and a new life in this beautiful country.