Pollution levels if living near to Gzira?

GozoMo wrote:

people are not all dropping down dead due to the pollution as some make it seem on here

haha fair point.. yeah I'm still interested alright, just waiting to hear results of a job offer at home first, but if I don't get it I'll start applying Malta-ways to try it out.

Whilst you are over here do come and visit Gozo.

StimpsonJ wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

people are not all dropping down dead due to the pollution as some make it seem on here

haha fair point.. yeah I'm still interested alright, just waiting to hear results of a job offer at home first, but if I don't get it I'll start applying Malta-ways to try it out.

So you don't actually have a job to go to in Gzira which makes all the posts about air pollution in that area a bit pointless. Your original post made it sound as though you did!
If you actually find a job here the chances are it will be in a different area!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

So you don't actually have a job to go to in Gzira which makes all the posts about air pollution in that area a bit pointless. Your original post made it sound as though you did!
If you actually find a job here the chances are it will be in a different area!

Ray

Not exactly. The jobs I'm considering applying for are all around that area. Perhaps not Gzira exactly but the area between Sliema and Gzira is so small that it will all encompass where I will be working if I get a job there.

If you think Dublin is less safe than Malta in terms of cycle safety, I think you have not spent enough time on the roads over here.
Dublin is one of the most cycle active cities in Europe. The cycle lanes are not great but there are many of them. Fatalities and injuries will always be higher considering it has far more volume of road users.
Malta on the other hand, has less infrastructure for pedestrians, let alone cyclists. People are also far less courteous on the roads and have pretty poor driving habits (rarely stop at pedestrian crossings, or use indicators).

There is a reason why so few cycle over here despite such glorious weather.

I can only base my comments on my experience cycling there for 10 days.

In 10 days only 1 car came narrowly close to me. In Dublin that happens every minute.

It probably helps that less people cycle in Malta as it means that a cyclist stands out as something unusual and more noticeable, hence the wider berth I seemed to have been given. Whereas in Dublin many people claim they "didn't see" the cyclist when they knock them down, also there is an anti-cyclist culture here like in London.

Also cycle lanes are generally ignored in Dublin, they generally serve as parking spaces for cars.

Where in Malta were you cycling? If you stick to the main strip of Gzira, Sliema, Ta Xbiex, you would be fine but inland of the main strip should be noticeable enough to come to another conclusion of cycling in Malta.

Pretty much everywhere between St Julian's and Tarxien. Cycled along the coast roads, but also inland a bit.

I wasn't too worried about cycling conditions elsewhere as my main concern was cycling routes to/fro work. I would be based between St Julian's and Birgu and working in the same areas.

Coast road is ideal tbf. If you were happy enough with the conditions inland then I guess you have nothing to worry about.

So how did you get this work out for you? Did you make the move?

Malta honestly the most polluted country which I have been. Apart from the cars there are also fireworks which they are rehearsing each 5 seconds even at 23:00.....Furthermore, even with all the rehearsing they are doing, there is still someone killed during the year because of a fireworks.....Malta experiences high cancer rate due to that and no one seems to care. Everyone are into their cars, not caring about their kids or themselves.
Currently it feels like there is a war outside, the windows are shaking and the flour is trembling because of *** FIREWORKS. I cannot call the police because they will think I am insane for wanting little peace after 8 hours of work. So people, if someone tells me that Malta is relaxing, come to Zurrieq for 5 minutes. If you are without cancer or hearth attack or any other pollution/stress related issue, congrats.

P.S. People who will tell me to go back to my country and not caring to improve their way of living or their country at all, be informed that most probably I will....

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Foul language
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct