Are Millennial's Really Feckless?

Here's a thing. I know that people over a certain age tend to think that the young today are feckless, spoilt individuals with no sense of how the world works. I have to say that as a business owner of that certain age I have taken a contrarian stance believing that the need to work and earn ones keep is primal. But I no longer have that view and heres why.
Yesterday a young lady of 29 years with no work experience but whom had stated at her interview that she was now keen to learn and work started at my company as an administrative assistant. Today she did not turn up. 2 months ago we had another young lady agree to start as a investment analyst. She signed the contract but did not turn up. Last summer we took on an intern during her holiday from university. She did work for 4 weeks before announcing that she was leaving earlier than her 6 week contract because she was going on holiday. I must add that although she was an intern, being a fair-minded employer she did receive a small salary. Her departure was in fact a relief as she was also a disaster , ruining 2 Mac keyboards by spilling coffee on them, being unable to answer a phone without reading from a script and finding difficulty in using a fax machine, to name but a few of her failings!
Before that we hired an administrator whom had been working for one of the biggest insurance companies in Mauritius. Her interview was superb and she had administrative experience. Guess what , she too had no idea how to use a phone, had never even used a fax machine, and could not remember from one day to the next what she had to do. She too left just before she was fired.Amazingly she went back to the big insurance company, which makes one wonder what on earth is going on there if such an inept clot was welcome!
I could go on but it is too depressing.
Is there any person in Mauritius that wants to work for a jolly good company with jolly staff in a jolly environment for a very competitive salary?

Oh  it is not only on the island.
Couple of summers ago, my husband hired a young engineer to work in a very high tech company ( space  communications and antennas) in NA.  She wanted to enjoy her summer and confirmed in her letter of acceptance that she would join the company mid-September.

Well mid-september came by and no reporting for work.  HR tried to contact her - MIA.
Then all of a sudden , my husband got a call from her in March of the following year and was asked if the job was still opened.
His answer: "We are not interested in hiring you."

What happened : greed and hoping to make it big in California.
However, "probie" was not confirmed after the first 6 months
Hence that's one of the reasons , you will see list of employers for short durations on a lot of CVs or Résumés of that generation.

Hello

I would be interested to work for you and move to the beautiful island am a highly competitive individual and have extensive experience can send in my resume..do let me know

Dear Zeain, thank you for your message. Regrettably moving to and working in Mauritius is not a simple exercise. You would need to apply for a resident and work permit, the cost of which you may find prohibitive.

Mark, if you're in need of a junior accountant or financial analyst, let me know. I'm looking for work. I'm also situated in Moka so i'm close by lol.

As for your post, this is not uncommon here. Locals are notoriously unreliable and don't give it a second thought about missing a day of work or quitting.

However, there are many employers who are also quite unethical in the way they deal with their employees.

So i see both sides of the issue. I don't think it's an issue with millenials per se, i think it's just deeply rooted in the Mauritian mentality, i.e. the lack of a proper work ethic.

But i also know people who are very hard-working as well, but a lot depends on how motivated they are.

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please post your offer in the Jobs section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Mark, I've been in MU for 18 years now and have not come accross the issue you mentioned. Perhaps your recruitment processes need some tweaking. I've had some very dedicated people work in my teams, at times even working from home when sick. I have worked in management for the past 16 years for one of the largest conglomerates, so have a fair bit of experience in local recruting. Feel free to reach out.

I have experienced the same in South Africa, Mark. We have been through countless millennials who simply don't seem to value work at all. I'm talking university educated people from varied backgrounds here.

They show up late, sometimes don't show up at all and don't seem to have any concept of loyalty.

Colleagues in other industries share the experience.

Better to hire older, more experienced people. They have learned life's hard lessons and understand what a privilege it is to be employed.