Housing rental lingo - realistic "translation" please

Hi there - I'm looking at renting either an apartment or house in Siem Reap, and trying to educate myself on the things that are important that are not so visible. Can anyone please tell me their thoughts on:

1. Generators - I've seen the phrase "built-in". Does this mean each apartment should have its own built-in generator? Each house? If there's a standard external generator to a house, wouldn't it be stolen in a nanosecond? If an apartment doesn't have one built-in, it's not possible to purchase one's own unless there's a balcony? How do I know if it has enough power to run at least one a/c? Assume that when large apartment buildings advertise generators they mean to run the elevators and hallway lights and that's it?

2. Header water tank - Is this only available for houses? Where would I look to see if it's there in an apartment?

3. Six month or twelve month lease is better?

4. Likelihood of security deposit being returned assuming a non eventful tenancy?

5. Are there any neighbourhoods known for break-ins?

I know there's more but this is all I can think of at the moment. Please feel free to add any advisories or cautions you can think of.

Thank you!

You have put the same questions already on the SR forum in another thread, where a certain Cindy Kern mentioned the mistakes she made by not giving attention to certain things.

I don't know if there is any relationship with Cindy Kern, but it seems you have taken your questions directly out of her negative story [It is so hot] yes tropical countries are hot.

To give an answer on the technical things, come here first, then talk to a real estate agent. That person can give you all answers on technical questions, return of deposit, burglaries in the area and so on.

To give you one example how people adapt to situations: I lived some time in a very remote village in the Cardamom mountains, the villagers had decided to have electric power only from 6 - 9 am and from 5 - 11 pm. So no power during the day from 9 - 5.
Most households had one or more ventilators, running on car batteries. Every morning empty batteries were brought to one shop that had a diesel generator and charged the batteries.
I had such a ventilator too and it was great. The battery charge lasted about a week.
All in one a great [old fashioned] solution. Much more modern is solar power. You can buy ventilators and other appliances that work on solar. During the day you charge it and if needed you use it.
There are even solar phone chargers that you stick on a window.
These two things show that local people have adapted the situation that there is no power or that there is a power outage. Cities mostly have a water system based on pressure from water towers, it also works when no power available.

So get your questions answered after you arrive, house owners or real estate agents can tell you all about what you want to know.

Cheers.

Joe

Oy. ***

If anyone else knows the technical logistics or data to answer my questions, please PM me.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : No insult here please

You are quite nice after all the answers I have given you on your multiple questions re health insurance, retirement visa, housing and the extensive thread [and my answers] re comparative insect survey.

This btw was your reaction on my contribution to your insect survey:
"Thank you so much, Joe, for your thoughtful and well-written reply. It was a pleasure to read. "

The Joe then and now is the same. So no troll whatsoever, I try to answer as many questions as possible and in all but this one cases people are thankful for that.

You posted twice the same questions about what to ask for when renting an apartment. Why?
Because you did not get an answer the first time?
There is no answer to your questions. There is no standard apartment, there is no standard equipment that all apartments have. Each one is different. That's why I advised to ask at each apartment that you visit the agent or the owner about the things you want to know. It is normal that you ask and they will gladly give answers to it. So what is your problem?

Lingo as you call it is exactly as you wrote it. Generator is generator, watertank is watertank, burglary is burglary, return of deposit is return of deposit.

I have explained to you that water is mostly from the city water system, with water towers generating the pressure, so no problem with power outage. just ask the agent or owner if the water is from the city water system or from a deep well, in the last case a watertank of 1000 L on the roof or on a platform is necessary to provide water if there is no power. Just ask the owner.

I don't know about generators in Siem reap. Here in Sihanoukville nearly nobody private has a generator, only the businesses. Just ask.

If, after you visited several apartments and asked your questions, there are doubts or things that are not clear, feel free to post it here and ask, for sure someone will be able to explain things.

I hope you realize that it was a nasty thing to call me a troll, if you still think I'm a troll then I invite you to report to the expat.com team and complain about me.

Cheers.

Joe

Hey Joe,

You must be the kindest en most patient guy in the universe! What an idiot! After using your advise and reading all the posts, he calls you a troll?  :/:unsure

And after that you still answer him in detail and try to justify yourself? Just don't!

Keep up the good work!

james1963 wrote:

Hey Joe,

You must be the kindest en most patient guy in the universe! What an idiot! After using your advise and reading all the posts, he calls you a troll?  :/:unsure

And after that you still answer him in detail and try to justify yourself? Just don't!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks James, for encouraging words. Highly appreciated.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Joe

1.  Generator, i guess it means what it means; 24hrs electricity.

2.  Some apartment buildings do have reserve water tanks.

3.  Deposit being paid back ? Its tough to answer; its safer to go through a real estate agent as he can be your intermediary.  Avoid places where the landlord is watching you 24hrs or living next door.

4.  Get 3 months rent to test the place with option of extension.  Try asking for 1 month test period.

5.  Break ins ? Safest places are apartments with cctv cameras and 24hrs security / concierge / key cards.  Otherwise i suggest getting new locks and opt for a place that has some sort of iron protection over the windows.  Expats are always on top of the list in terms of bag snatching and break ins.  Always hide your passport, ticket and some money in a very smart place. 

Good luck.

Trying to answer some of the questions, that' I may understand best.

1. They' ideally have a backup generator for the whole apartment/home when EDC (official electricity) got cut.

2. Most of the Apartment here in Siem Reap will have their own backup water tank.

3. Most local here like to have a longer contract, its feel safe and secure. But if you're planning to stay long, longer contract will make us happy. :)

4. I mean its really depend on who you're renting from, if you're feel uneasy then just go with one of the many real estate agency here in Town.

5. I am so against this, as the local myself intruder or trespassing is a no go zone. I have never heard about this issue among my peers but that's not to say there is none.

I hope this may help answer some of the questions. Have a nice day everyone