Iranians Working and Living in Vietnam

Hello all,

I'm looking for a teaching job in Vietnam. I'm an Australian permanent resident and have been living and teaching in Australia for 8 years.

I've read a lot about the process of finding jobs and getting visa if you're an American or Australian passport holder.

I'm having a hard time finding relevant information for those holding Iranian passport.

How easy or difficult (or possible) is it for an Iranian passport holder to get a working visa and permit?

I'm planning to come to Vietnam for holidays for two weeks and it's been bloody hard to get a tourist visa from Australia. I had to buy my return tickets, book accommodation for two weeks, pay twice the fee Australians need to pay, give the Viet Nam embassy a bank statement and a letter from my work!

I'm thinking if getting a tourist visa is this difficult, maybe getting a work visa is impossible!

Looking forward to your advice and thanks for taking the time to read my post :)

Hi, are you an Australian citizen, if so why do you not have an Australian Passport, it would be a whole lot easier...

I'm not an Australian citizen. Otherwise, I'd have an Australian passport

Then I'm not surprised...
It's a major effort to get a visa for my wife's Aunt to visit Australia from Vietnam...

@jahan-k

Next time try VOA (Visa on Arrival) for touristic purpose.
How it works. (for reference only).
There are many such agents who can arrange a letter of approval for you online.

As for non-ESL teaching jobs in universities and international schools, as long as you have required qualification/s and documented experience (3 - 5 yrs), getting a WP shouldn't be a problem.

First you need to find an employer in Vietnam who is willing to hire you with a WP.
It's the responsibility of your employer to apply for your WP. You can't do it yourself.

Thanks Senwl,

I'm aware of the process you mentioned and it's exactly as you said for Australian/American... citizens.

My question is specifically about passport holders of IRAN.

I'm hoping someone who's an Iranian working in Viet Nam or someone who's in international recruitment or someone who works for Vietnamese visa department can answer my question :)

jahan-k wrote:

I'm aware of the process you mentioned and it's exactly as you said for Australian/American... citizens.
My question is specifically about passport holders of IRAN.

The same.
VOA is available for the Iranian citizens and citizens of many other countries as well.

senwl wrote:

VOA is available for the Iranian citizens and citizens of many other countries as well.

No. It's not! Requirements for Iranians residing in Australia:

http://vietnamembassy.org.au/thu-tuc-ch … is-article

jahan-k wrote:
senwl wrote:

Requirements for Iranians residing in Australia:

http://vietnamembassy.org.au/thu-tuc-ch … is-article

All over the world, especially in the West, VN embassies always discourage people from going after VOA. We all know about that.
The truth is, people continue to get it legitimately at the airports without hassle. 

If Australian immigration doesn't allow you to board a VN bound flight without a valid VN visa that's a different issue.

Anyway, the choice is yours.

Don't believe what the embassy in Australia tells you, they hate VOA's as it's money they miss out on. Do an online search on VOA's and ask the company about Iranians. There is a difference between a normal VOA and one for Iranians. This may help.....

http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/n … -iran.html

colinoscapee wrote:

.http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/news/view/vietnam-visa-on-arrival-for-some-difficult-nationality-iran.html

That link is not about VOA, although that's what the headline says.

Received Documents: you will get a Vietnam Visa Approval Letter Code via email by us. However, you need come to Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Consulate is nearest at your local to get Visa Sticker and pay stamping fee)

senwl wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

.http://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/news/view/vietnam-visa-on-arrival-for-some-difficult-nationality-iran.html

Received Documents: you will get a Vietnam Visa Approval Letter Code via email by us. However, you need come to Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Consulate is nearest at your local to get Visa Sticker and pay stamping fee)

Best you read it again.
Vietnam Visa On Arrival is one of best choice for travellers to Vietnam when they want to save time and money to get Vietnam visa at the airport. Howerver, there are some nationalities apply Vietnam visa on arrival difficultly. Iran is one of them. In order to get visa at Vietnamese airport, Iranian need more steps and fee than the other nationality.

colinoscapee wrote:
senwl wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Best you read it again.
Vietnam Visa On Arrival is one of best choice for travellers to Vietnam when they want to save time and money to get Vietnam visa at the airport. Howerver, there are some nationalities apply Vietnam visa on arrival difficultly. Iran is one of them. In order to get visa at Vietnamese airport, Iranian need more steps and fee than the other nationality.

:)
I understand that part. Now just scroll down and see what they are saying about it.

Vietnam Immigration.Org.Vn would like to inform that the Iranian can apply Vietnam visa online,
Received Documents: you will get a Vietnam Visa Approval Letter Code via email by us. However, you need come to Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Consulate is nearest at your local to get Visa Sticker and pay stamping fee) Now, the Iranian can visit Vietnam more conviently and faster!

How can it be a VOA if your visa is stamped at the embassy/consulate?

Well thats the point, its not a VOA as such, they have to jump through more hoops.It was more in relation to what you posted.

"All over the world, especially in the West, VN embassies always discourage people from going after VOA. We all know about that.
The truth is, people continue to get it legitimately at the airports without hassle."

Anyway, as an Iranian it's not an easy task.

VOA is available for the Iranians.
- https://www.visa-vietnam.org/vietnam-vi … or-iranian
- https://govietnamvisa.com/page/vietnam- … n-citizens
- https://www.vietnamimmigration.com/visa … t-iranian/
etc.
The approval letter is difficult to get.

Can you all stop arguing about VOA please?

My post is about getting a WORK visa and WORK PERMIT and come to  Vietnam to live there as an Iranian.

It's okay, if you don't know the answer to my question.

The reason I posted here is maybe someone knows the answer to that question, not to get information about tourist visa. I already have that information.

Thanks

You need a visa to enter the country unless you have someone who has already offered you a job, ok. You dont have a job offer, therefore you need a visa, thats what we are trying to tell you.

colinoscapee wrote:

You need a visa to enter the country unless you have someone who has already offered you a job, ok. You dont have a job offer, therefore you need a visa, thats what we are trying to tell you.

Thanks. Maybe you're not understanding my question then.

I understand that I need a job offer and I'm applying for a few positions. However, a couple of recruiters in Australia told me that they don't know if Vietnam would let one of the International schools there hire someone with Iranian passport.

I NEED clarification about employment visa and permit from

1) a Vietnamese recruiter
OR
2) someone who works for the visa department in Vietnam
OR
3) An Iranian who's working and living in Vietnam on a long term visa

I DON'T NEED information on VOA or tourist visa.

Thanks

Jahan-k?  col & senwl understand.   And they are correct.

The real (Western) world operates (way) different than it does here.

ONCE YOU ARE HERE the "rules" change so radically it is not possible for those who have both been here and done it to explain.  It must be experienced to believe.   Many (most) expats cannot get their minds wrapped around the vast difference between what the "rules" state and the reality that exists here, "on the ground".  Difficult?  No.   

Thailand is tightening their own restrictions on residency, so moving to Viet Nam is your best bet.    Getting a VOA is much simpler & cheaper to get in ON A TOURIST VISA to begin with, then you have 3 months to research the reality and/or (try to) obtain a more permanent fixit.   As you will.

YOU WILL FIND it is much easier to find the best method once your boots are on the ground.   (We) avoid ALL bureaucracy like the plague simply because of the difference between dealing with an Embassy and  finding the utopia this culture provides best-in-the-world due to the fact of their acceptance & tolerance.  There are NIL class, caste, colour, creed or religious social problems here.   Viet people cooperate, not compete, so get used to thinking differently.     Yes, research.

Once you are HERE, you will understand too.    There is PLENTY OF WORK at all levels.

Just do it.     You will have no regrets.

jahan-k wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Thanks. Maybe you're not understanding my question then.

I understand that I need a job offer and I'm applying for a few positions. However, a couple of recruiters in Australia told me that they don't know if Vietnam would let one of the International schools there hire someone with Iranian passport.

I NEED clarification about employment visa and permit from

1) a Vietnamese recruiter
OR
2) someone who works for the visa department in Vietnam
OR
3) An Iranian who's working and living in Vietnam on a long term visa

I DON'T NEED information on VOA or tourist visa.

Thanks

Ask the schools that you are applying with, they should be able to tell you whether a Iranian can get a work permit.

colinoscapee wrote:

Ask the schools that you are applying with, they should be able to tell you whether a Iranian can get a work permit.

LOL. I find it quite amusing how you guys think I haven't done these obvious things before coming here and posting this :)

I don't know the name of the schools to be able to ask them! The recruitment agencies list the ads and 9 out of 10 times, use a fake name for the schools. Apparently the schools don't want to reveal their names until you get an interview!

Bazza139 wrote:

...There are NIL class, caste, colour, creed or religious social problems here.   Viet people cooperate, not compete, so get used to thinking differently.     Yes, research.

Once you are HERE, you will understand too.    There is PLENTY OF WORK at all levels.

Just do it.     You will have no regrets.

Thanks man for your comment. This is very reassuring :)

My plan was to secure a teaching job at an international school while I'm in Australia, before I quit my job here. What you said makes me think maybe I can just leave Australia, come to Vietnam and see what I can find.

When you say, "There is PLENTY OF WORK at all levels", what other jobs can a western trained educator find in Vietnam? Honestly, I'm not too fuss about working as a teacher at an international school. I just thought that's my best bet. What else do you think I might be able to find if I just pull the plug and come to Vietnam?

Jahan, no one can read your unique mind-set.

Mostly, we are used to dealing with clowns who cannot see the wood for the trees, let alone connect-the-dots in a world that is TOTALLY alien to Western attitudes, so there is no need to bite the hand that is trying to help.   (But it's Ok, we're used to it!)    ..and we're here...     ;)

As the old saying goes; open the door to your mind before opening the door to the world.            We can afford to feel smug: we did.    :cool:

Same applies to work.   Offer to give a demo of your particular  (or peculiar) skills in teaching, tutoring manual trades like welding, spray painting, sign writing, sheetmetal, plumbing, cooking, fibreglassing, graphic arts, hospitality management (etc?)   ..and very often you'll be exactly doing what you are best at besides being yourself...   No one else can do that...     :whistle:

..or, if you are set on teaching English, try the NGO's who offer free food & accomodation in return for a few hours of work..?   Word-of-mouth works both ways and you'll quickly find opportunity in the (seeming) chaos.   Sure, it's not all cheese and kisses  but getting off the treadmill and outa the cage..?   Priceless...    :idontagree: 

Tried typing in: "Working online"..?   Go ogle has plenty of ideas you might not have considered in writing, photography, teaching, building blogs,  (the list is longer than you think it is) with the advantage of being paid on an international basis instead of paying taxes or (trying to) get money out of Viet Nam.    Read the pain of other posts.

In other words; it is (your) choices, not chances that will decide your destiny.

There are no mistakes.  Only learning experiences.     :cheers:

jahan-k wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

LOL. I find it quite amusing how you guys think I haven't done these obvious things before coming here and posting this :)

I don't know the name of the schools to be able to ask them! The recruitment agencies list the ads and 9 out of 10 times, use a fake name for the schools. Apparently the schools don't want to reveal their names until you get an interview!

Well you didnt reveal that information, therefore how the hell can we know.

Using a bit of lateral thinking, one could contact the schools direct. It's not rocket science, then again, it may be for some.

http://vietnamvisavoa.com/10-best-inter … minh-city/

Ease up Col.   Not all of us grew up with de Bono.

Like the rest of us: he'll learn.     :happy:

Bazza139 wrote:

Ease up Col.   Not all of us grew up with de Bono.

Like the rest of us: he'll learn.     :happy:

Just trying to use the same tone of his replies.

Thanks Bazza139 and colinoscapee,

I'll start calling some schools as well :)

Guess it's hard for me to understand how things work over there since I haven't been to Vietnam before :)

What I was told by a couple of recruiters is that if I'm in Vietnam and go school to school, I won't get a good contract comparing to when I apply Australia. Maybe they just said that to ensure they get heir commission! And that doesn't mean I can't call anyway :0

Just to clarify though, I'm not applying for teaching English. I'm a high school mathematics teacher.

Thanks again guys

Check your embassy's website in VN

The Iranian passport can apply for visa on arrival with a little limitation. You can actually stay in Vietnam for maximum 25 days with single entry visa. Moreover, the visa processing fee is not cheap.

Bazza/Collin et all  -  me thinks Jahan is a forum troll   -  Jahan, you are one arrogant person for requesting information, getting it, then discarding and ridiculing everyone trying to help.................you might find a job teaching in Tehran a lot easier than Vietnam, or stay in Australia.  With you're attitude, you will not fit in very well with the Vietnamese, and may have a hard road to roe once you get here.
Mi Dos Centavos