Validity of the Visa

Hello everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. My name is Bhavya Doshi. I come from India and I have completed my Masters in Mechatronics from Fachhochschule Aachen in Germany in 2017.

I had an interview for a job in a start-up in Venlo. I was informed by the company that they will help me in processing of my Visa (I believe they will sponsor).

My question is, if i get the job and if my Visa is also granted, then how long is the Visa valid for? I have heard that the for the first time, a Visa is granted only for one year and it can be made permanent only on the second application.

Also, should things not work out for the company and if I lose my job, then how much time do I have to search for another job?

Thank you for your help and patience in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you are talking about a highly skilled worker.  Your first visa is valid for 12-months; only your employer can apply to extend it.  Should your job not work out and you change employers, your new employer has to sponsor you; you have until your original visa expires to find a new job.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Thank you for the quick information.

I am not exactly sure if the job qualifies as a highly skilled job. But yeah it is in the engineering and technology domain. What it definitely isn't is scientific research. So I an not sure about this.

About the time my original visa expires, that means until the end of those 12 months right? For example, if I start this job at the start-up on lets say 1st April 2018, then I will have until the 1st April 2019 to find a new job if I lose that first job. Is that right?

Thank you,

Doshi

Hi Doshi,

That about sums it up, yes.

Great!

Thanks a lot Cynic.