Hi I'm Australian and married to a Egyptian man who lives in Egypt we where married in the Egyptian ministry Cairo,  I want to divorce my ex husband and no one in Australia can help me I've contacted the Egyptian consulate in Sydney Australia,  The Australian consulate in Cairo  and no one can help me.   Please I really need to get out of this marriage.  If anyone can help me please.  Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

A couple of points from me:

There is a good chance you're current marriage is not legally recognised; unless they are followed up by a civil process, religious ceremonies are typical of this.

If your marriage is recognised where you currently live, then you can apply for a divorce in that country.

My advice is to take whatever documentation you have to a divorce lawyer and ask there.

Hope this helps.

Expat Team

hi.. where r u now? Australia or Egypt?

Hi  I'm in Australia.

Hi , generally speaking if you were married in Egypt , then you need to seek advice from that Country. Clearly there would be some kind of legal process.

Have you discussed it with your husband ?If  he is in agreement he could initiate matters for you.

Kind Regards, Birtles

From the Australian Government website; this link will take you there.

If you were married overseas, you can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse:

1.    regard Australia as your home and intend to live indefinitely in Australia are an Australian citizen or resident, or
2.    are an Australia citizen by birth or descent
3.    are an Australia citizen by grant of an Australia citizenship
4.    ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.

You must provide the Court with a copy of your marriage certificate. If your marriage certificate is not in English, you need to file an English translation of it, and an affidavit from the translator.

So, assuming you qualify as above, you do not need to go to Egypt for a divorce.

Hope this helps.

Expat Team

New topic