6 months in Cambodia

Hi everyone

We (my husband and I) are considering living abroad for 6 months of the year - to get away from the cold, miserable weather in the uk in the winter months.  I have seen this website and must as I am seriously considering Cambodia as an option.  Can anyone give me a rough guesstimate of cost involved including renting a nice apartment?

My husband took early retirement and though I currently work in Social Services, I am more than willing to give this up to change our current lifestyle.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

You'll likely pay US$300 to US$400 per month for an apartment in PP.  For that price you get a/c, kitchen, tv, bathroom; things a westerner would expect.  I've got a balcony too.  You may have to pay extra for electricity, and an a/c can chew up $100 per month depending on how much you use it.  I use it to sleep but use about $60 per month.
I would budget the same for food.  You can go to almost any Khmer restaurant and get a big bowl of soup with rice and iced tea thrown in for $2 to $3.
Eating at western places, now that's a completely different story, except that you will get beer for 75c a glass which is very cheap.
These prices are PP only and are the most expensive you will find in Cambodia.  You can go to the provinces or other towns and live cheaper.  Maybe someone else can post on that.

Mr4D is quite right.

We have discussed this already in another thread and came to the conclusion that you can live nicely for around $1000 a month all in. Of course it depends on where you want to live, even within PP some areas are more expensive than other areas.

Other cities like Siem reap, Sihanoukville, Battambang could be a bit less expensive but not too much difference.
In the provinces is the cheapest way to live, but also lacks the services you have in cities.

Come over, rent a not too expensive room in a guesthouse for a month and look around, nothing as good as seeing it for yourself.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@yimsack.

No advertising permitted on the open forum. Place a free advert in the housing section.