Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian student who is looking for work as a nanny or au pair in Belgium this summer. I would like to know if it is necessary for me to have a visa or work permit, and if so, which one I need/how to apply. I have researched it but I am still slightly confused as to which one to apply for.

I already have a family that is interested in employing me as their nanny, however I would need to work a second job during the day time (part or full time) - would I be able to work a second job or do I have to specifically work with only that family?

Secondly, I am looking for information on public transportation. How much is the cost per month for a pass (train and bus)

Thank you so much in advance for your replies and help!

Welcome to the Forum :)

Others will give more insight into Visa & Work permits.

This LINK will give you information about Trains in Belgium. You did not say what part of the country you will be living in.

This LINK will give you information on public transport as a whole in Belgium.

When you google, you get a lot of irrelevant info.

Always rely on the official websites.

Official info is here:  (Only in FR or NL for now. You can use chrome to auto translate the page if you want the info in English). … _pair.aspx … gique.aspx … _visa.aspx

Based on what is written on the ministry website, you are not allowed to take up other jobs.

<From the website>...

The au pair must:

(a) be at least 18 years of age and have not reached the age of 26 on the date of issue of the occupation permit and work permit;
(b) enter into an undertaking not to take up employment in Belgium during the period of the au pair placement;
... .... ...

Read through that webpage. It has all info that you need.

New topic