Questions on moving to Ecuador

I am retired and moving to Ecuador from Québec. I would like to have some info on how to proceed to obtain the Visa, driver's license, anything that would be helpful.

Thank you

Dear Lafrisee,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Since your worthwhile issues have been discussed so many times before on many threads, I suggest you go to the search box on this forum's welcome page .. and enter a word or phrase such as visa or driver's license.

Using the search function will help you to gain much knowledge and then you can ask pinpointed questions when you come back here.

cccmedia

Lafrisee wrote:

I am retired and moving to Ecuador from Québec. I would like to have some info on how to proceed ... anything that would be helpful.

Three rules for newcomers to Ecuador...

1.  Don't buy or build on property before living in the target area for at least a year.

2.  Don't flash anything of value on buses or in public areas.

3.  Don't accept anything from strangers who approach you on the street -- not even a card or a handshake.  And especially not "food."

-- cccmedia

CDC, Why not accept anything from a stranger?  Is it a ploy to rob you?

After encountering multiple difficulties with various aspects of moving, I decided to not try to do it myself and to use a service.  I used EcuaAssist.  They have locations in Quito, Cuenca, Manta and other locations.  It was well worth the money.  They arranged everything and even obtained the necessary US documents (FBI, state police).  They can also help with a driver's license and provide all possible questions/answers for the test along with the English translation - I plan to apply for a license within the next few months.

OrganicMom wrote:

Why not accept anything from a stranger?  Is it a ploy to rob you?

Possibly.

Scenario 1:  With your hand(s) occupied, the stranger's confederate grabs your camera, your bag or your money.

Scenario 2:  You accept and consume food or beverage, which turns out to be tainted.  You may not survive this one alive.  Has happened to others.

Scenario 3:  Beggar now has you where he wants you -- he has you stopped and he has your attention.  If he is persistent, you may need to run away to avoid repeated beggar moves.

Scenario 4:  Stranger distracts you, confederate pours water or unpleasant liquid on you, they run off in two directions with your property in the ensuing confusion.

Scenario 5:  You accept a "business card" by hand.  The card is scraped against your palm and draws blood.  It contained scopolomine or other mind-altering drug.  You are knocked out and wake up minutes later lying on the sidewalk, missing your money and your watch.

cccmedia

Wow!  That's frightening.

Most of the above scenarios can be avoided if you know how to handle yourself in Latin American cities.

Don't wear bling on the street.

Avoid ATM machines at unguarded non-bank locations.

Stay keenly alert at bus stops and aboard public transport.

Show as little money as possible.  Count your money in private.

Don't give eye contact to strangers.

And, of course, don't take anything from strangers who approach.

cccmedia

Thanks for the wise advice CCC.  Well, I don't have much money and no bling, so...that shouldn't be a problem!  Lol

I believe precautions are necessary whether on this site or governmental advisories. But it's important for members to keep things in perspective and not develop a victim personality. For me Quito is safe, at least centro-norte but I read the news and know that crime exists in all forms similarly to all other major cities throughout the world. But again, keep things in perspective. Enjoy life, Ecuador is a wonderful expat destination as are other countries.

Thanks vsimple.  Basically...find a balance between being careful and being afraid.

More so being aware of surroundings rather than being afraid. Quito for instance is a big city with good areas and bad areas. Would I ever live in some parts of South Quito where a body is found dumped every once in awhile, que va!

Do I go out at all hours, yes i do, but I know the places and areas I go to. So that kind of balance which is based on awareness of area, place, time, people, etc.