International Schools for 4 and 2 year-olds

Hello

I'm relocating to KL soon with my partner and our two children, aged 4 and 2. We're from UK and speak English only. Unfortunately, we do not have school fees included in my package so please could you help us with International Schools.

Our plan is to live around Bangsar or TTDI due to proximity to work. Equally, we would like to be close to a mid-range International School that offers languages in English. The exact curriculum is not as important due to the ages of our children, plus my partner is a primary school teacher who can do top-up lessons if needed.

The top schools like Gardens, British IS and Mont Kiara are over budget. We would be looking at something around half this cost or lower. Our budget would be a total of 35,000 to 55,000 a year for both of them over the first few years, including registration fees.

One of the options we've seen is Cempuka Damansara Heights. Does anyone have a view on this school?

Could people flag other schools in the Bangsar/TTDI area that offer lessons in English?

One of the other options we've though about are Kindergartens which, if they are not at the top International Schools, seem to be cheaper. We would consider these if they offer places up to ages 5 or 6. As I said, my partner can do top-up lessons at home. Do people have any views on kindergartens in the TTDI/Bangsar areas?

Lastly, we've thought about my Partner teaching to help with school fees too. However, we won't be arriving until June and therefore think we will be too late for the school year 2018/19. If people disagree with us being able to get primary school work on this timescale then please let us know, particularly if you have insight for the International Schools in the Bangsar/TTDI areas.

Thanks in advance for replies, any help is much appreciated!

Your partner should apply right now for jobs because the schools are hiring for August 2018 start of school year. Lots of schools here advertise on TES (Times Educational Supplement). The advantage of applying now will be the hiring would be international rather than local.  The terms are better and the good schools offer a housing allowance. If he gets a job there is often free tuition for the children (or this can be negotiated).

I don't know why you have chosen TTDI and Bangsar as possible places to live because both have notoriously bad traffic. Neither of them are well-served with good affordable international schools either. I suspect it may be by looking at a map or reading old internet reports. So there may be better options. Perhaps you could mention which location will be your workplace.

All international schools (i.e. not local curriculum) have English as their main language of tuition but of course most of the pupils are Malaysians so they naturally also use their own languages amongst themselves.

TTDI and Bangsar have been chosen based both on commuting times for myself, internet research and in-depth conversations and recommendations from two Malaysians who previously lived in KL and work with me in the UK. I'm happy with the choice of areas if we can find schooling there.

So, any information or opinions on International Schools in that area in the right price range, like Cempuka Demansara Heights? Or Kindergarten options in that area?

We might look into my partner teaching but we're not wholly convinced by that option this year because my youngest is only two and therefore we may not put her in full-time childcare. Unless you're saying that we won't be able to get expat teacher packages the following year because we already live there (although I've heard of examples where this has been achieved).

I understand now, the places are not based on living in expat-favoured locations. The reason is security being a foreigner where gated housing communities are often preferred.

This thread has some info about preschools in Bangsar

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=727704

Thanks, those Montessori kindergartens are interesting. The kindergartens don't seem to have costs on their websites. Any ideas where I could find the costs?

Plus does anyone have an opinion on Cempuka Demansara Heights?

There are some fees mentioned for Children''s House
Fee Range:
(Preschool) RM21,000 - RM29,000

https://schooladvisor.my/school_types/preschool/

There have been some positive comments here about this pre-school in Bangsar
https://schooladvisor.my/schools/safari-kid/

cempaka is not a bad school either . you can consider cempake int school in your list

Another suggestion in Bangsar is Chiltern House - http://chilternhouse.com.my/

There is more about Safari Kids at this website http://www.kiddy123.com/listing/safari- … arten.html

There a school nearby TTDI, Sri Bestari International School

Old post but I have to make some corrections! I've lived in bangsar and now live in ttdi, can't say the traffic is bad at all in these 2 places (well, maybe bangsar on a Friday evening). There are good access points in and out, and most places you need to get to are within 10-15 mins drive. MRT is available too. There are excellent condos in both areas and guarded villas in Bangsar. I can't comment much on the schools as I don't have kids but I attended Cempaka in Damansara Heights in the 80s! From what I've seen, they've continued to excel in performing arts, so for creative kids there may be good after-school activities available. Quality of teachers back then were great. Also, we were already taught with British materials back in the 80s and most of my classmates came from English-speaking backgrounds. All Malaysians, but we all spoke (and continue to speak) English at home as a first language. Perhaps now that Cempaka calls itself an international school (instead of just private school) there may be a more varied mix of student nationalities.
Desa Park City has an international School which seems to be getting good reviews and it's not far from TTDI.