Traveling from Panama to Costa Rica now that Nature Air is grounded

I've a trip scheduled for march that will take me to Baquete. I am flying into San Jose from the states and flying to Limon bound for Puerto Viejo on Sansa. I am planning to take a shuttle to Baquete from PV (a Hybrid shuttle trip on Caribe shuttle and Hola Panama..bypassing Boca). My original route back was on Nature Air from David to San Jose..about 200.00/PP. This is obviously not going to happen now. It would seem I have 3 or 4 options:

1. Fly Panama Air (or the Columbian AirLine). They both fly 737's and charge about 800.00/PP via Panama City to San Jose..Ouch.

2. Try to shuttle back to PV <> Limon, fly Sansa back to San Jose the day before I leave SJO for the US. The last Sansa flight leaves Limon around 3:00 PM. Not sure if it's possible to get from Baquete to Limon in 8 hours by shuttle.

3. Bus from Baquete to PV <> Limon. Gotta be a long,slow hike. Same issue as above.

4. Bus from Baquete to San Jose....not a likely option. Maybe if I was 40 years younger.

According to my VRBO host in Baquete, the local commuter flight community is suffering with this same dilemma.

Any ideas and (especially) travel time estimates from Panama to CR would be really appreciated. This is my 4th trip to CR, 1st to Panama.

So.... do I have this right? You are trying to figure out how to get from Boquete to San Jose CR for your flight home. Other options for flying are too expensive. So, that leaves ground transportation. My favorite is Ticabus, takes maybe 8 hours. You can catch one in David. Or, take any bus to the border, cross, and catch another bus to San Jose, cheaper but more complicated.

I don't have experience traveling on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica. I have gone between David and the San Jose airport though, and the above seems the most straightforward.

When you have an idea of what you think will work, post back and I can share any details I know.

Many thanks for the info. Any of the options were long..even the flight to San Jose via Panama City. Long layover and a stop...But!!!....I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Nature Air *is* flying again but with reduced flights. They have suspended the service from David to San Jose (SJO) but are flying to San Jose Pavas (SYQ) from Bocas Del Toro..about 250.00 with taxes and luggage over 30 lbs. Now all I have to worry about is getting from Boquete to Bocas on 3/25 by 2:30 pm. Should be possible. This reminds me of travelling through Guatemala in the 70's (I was in my 20's). It was sort of fun using busses and trains and unreliable schedules but I was ok with curling up in a sleeping bag behind a train station waiting for a 5 am train or bus. Not sure that would work these days ;-)

You might engage the help of a local  Travel agent. I have success with a Boquete agency, Andrea at Viaje Vacations.

Ahh good, sounds like it might work out! I have heard about buses from Boquete to Bocas. Good idea Steve about the travel agent. Andrea. **  She lives in Boquete, is an expat and gets things done. I use her every time I travel.

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share via your private message system. Thank you

Thanks Steve,

I will check that out.  I'm also considering taking the caribe shuttle all the way from Puerto Viejo to Boca instead of short hopping with Hola Panama from Almirante to Boquete Then renting my car in Boca and driving to Boquete.  This way I can drive back to Boca on 3/25 and catch the 3:00 pm Nature flight to San Jose CR that I have a reservation on. It's a 4-5 hour drive from Boquete to Boca and it would seem like that's plenty of time in case of any *unseen circumstances* plus I'd save 60 bucks on the Almirante to Boquete half of the shuttle trip from PV.

Half the fun of traveling is figuring this crap out.   I'm just really glad that Nature Air is back flying their Cessna Caravans to San Jose.  It would have been a long bus ride or an expensive flight via Panama City....,or would have cut a full day out of my stay in Boquete to get back to SJO for my return flight to Michigan.   I'll be glad when I'm living down there  and not worrying about when I have to get back to my office.  Two years at most.