Importing vehicle

I am moving to Belize this year. Anyway, I happened to bump into a vehicle in Nicaragua that I really like.

Does anyone know where to direct me? How do I purchase a vehicle in Nicaragua as a foreigner, bring it to Belize, and thereafter register the vehicle in Belize?

Thanks for any help. It is an old vehicle

Can't speak about buying in Nicaragua. Are you planning to drive it here or ship it here? In any case you will pay import duties bringing it in, based on the value. Value it as low as you reasonably can. Then you register it in the district you plan to live in. You will need to insure it first through Insurance Corporation of Belize or one other company I can't remember the name of. I bought a car here, so there was no import duty, but I bought it, insured it, and then did a temporary registration all in one day. I did a more long term registration later when I got it back to my home district. If you tell me more of your plans on how you are getting it here and where you are planning to live, I can help a little more.

I would be planning on driving the vehicle. I will be moving to San Ignacio

Here's what I would do. I know you need some kind of temporary insurance to travel through those countries. I'm not sure the deal with that. As far as Belize insurance goes, RF&G and ICB are the two I know of. You could ask them about the temporary insurance. When you get to the border, I strongly suggest you tell them you are just visiting and not sure how long you will stay. You don't want to deal with the whole thing at the border. It's a hassle, and you're more likely to get hustled. They will give you a temporary registration.  Once you get to San Ignacio, get the insurance set up. Then you will go to the registration office to register the vehicle. I would guess there is a registration office in San Ignacio, but you might have to go to Belmopan. They may handle the import duties there at the registration office, but you might have to go to customs. I'm just not sure on that part because I haven't done it. Once you register, you'll get a copy of the title and plates and all that. That's pretty much it I think.