Free and low-cost leisure activities in Thailand

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Thailand. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Thailand, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Thailand?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

When i first move here back in 2011, I live 2-3 min from Pie 30 Nonthaburi, And use the River Boat, At that time it was 15 baht from start to finish. (No idea what the price is today)
Have a lot of pie to get off and Exploring.

http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/images/shared/service/img-boatroute.jpg

Back then there was a lot of free bus to take around, Jump a free bus, See something i like, Go check it out, when finish, Wait for next free bus.
But i think Thailand stop the free bus in Bangkok & Nonthaburi ?
But the ticket price is normal very low anyways.

At evening many place have free "work out" at a Temple, a park, Big parking space area and so on.

One can eat for free at Temples, I try it my self 2 times, Only to try it, Talk to people there.

And to find someone to exchange language with it nice (I did that at universitet near where i live), good way to learn, and free.

Kindly.

Edit.
Forgot about Koh Kret, We lived near Pak Kret for many years, So we often go over to Koh Kret.
Boat 4 baht pr person.
A lot to look at, Good and cheap food, View of the river, And i love water, So big enjoyment for me.

There are tons of things to do in and around Chiang Rai, which technically speaking are free in that they have no entrance fee, but realistically you will have the cost of transportation to get there and then food and drink while you are there.

We have mountains, rivers, reservoirs, waterfalls, temples, festivals and the occasional free concert.  For example, Singha Park sponsors several festivals each year with my favorite being the recently completed Balloon Festival.  A few dozen balloons from around the world, free concerts at night, free parking along with a free ride from the parking area ten minutes away from the fairgrounds.  (They hire an amazing logistical planner.)  The thing is you have to get there somehow which isn't free and you will likely get hungry and thirsty leading you to buy food and beverage while you are there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UcEStTxpXjIMawH5rHR3hsF2HtMGk-wGPmMHUtnoUs6tJE99hqtlhgEfKNgpASD62no-AGyjHTL4esVWptCYBBl3Oj-JbofD31ICuUPXHpbCJn2Ete_ifaTGLp4TuHFbjRQBHOSiKFkSxf4lKGwhJv8FLjuT5Z4z6WUc1S8v_e7X8zJbF5cbWJwK4l4A_Id7GGKW-xCSTu_bLmnog2KRv9KThPzejjIpAANkBP5xltg_GStBekbKZ1HmMfex4-yFxOuq_cH69QaOEjunJkJu485sUu1JALsAAb0slOWOOx93eEk6riSPBjjsX8ZbqeizAYrgcX88DIFBgxd4fUqyu2PC5bJPhcXEAbcg2vRQpyf8FGBaOCj7PaZM6hUfWuXfaULeLRxzzIuYM7Ut8_HaQS9wNCh3OCzTijGuBCqX4zB_elm7w83f4fJaTBYcGjIP20LqGJYyjCBAayA2hm2f3uPmeJZBoUT_n_3V4VXXaskEBKrtgABxgnPSPkSoj1wTpcX2aWVM2KdlFwzRCjHBYrhzJYXn9obOmbsQZEg1Bd0r8jjq_NrUkfXKkw19nDb-l3C1FLRolIVBIWpjPu7x5c-ZSfvV-QPzsqGVDlBQ3_bezZN6RW_CFgz_83XZiaDElbLIJfb6dukJOVUhw5stZ4TC4Di6T5gi1w=w549-h366-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9fW4S3D2snTfOJpPh4AXZqizPdto7qDfb2FMqeLHEIsQjUu3UGzfH2hfP1oYUS_AD_UPLr7lscgN574la2wdTlknV2gq7TXa2toiGgZUyC8vha1k5AwMJtZbGpYSmAp1WIebI0Rxt3EjJBLpToBVETwhuz-u9N7PPRz5QsSxBwFdUMjx8M9Y5buJsAvQsR1QIi8U7DW6LdWqXHUS4DgY1V2PUFHRJWbnxkOq22lhwvgmJCmJT8hbw2RoyQndHyJJ7BhbS-6o9WvMK6Ltk_pcF49DMVyphOkonWuF7ToWclRw8s_oNliTjpHlmE4t3UP2ma_un-R4JALJjzP4NOx4YtxCnt6Zo958O67qVGX3KNmtRN2bt6N2UA4iaPi0zpiNX1tOMH9zAPxfi98vrjPGeCHD47OpAGGTsw-NfQEyPgWlT8UywUJcyn9_F8_Ycn3cuhdDPcilWZmb7MFF1MLaxqpOpbyoVqafEpKWVgMp0s3UxnfIuY31KH_z6B7YnLDebzmoe7V5lYEz7s7sWmgHXb3rYDNsEs8t7jTjWS6ngG3Nv_HnNOZlicKLbr6piNZl73q8iiV8peKggfhViKuyNkAeDHqwPXXo72tFjC9gS965kL96fXqbm9fttnRD5cuOp5Rg5c8kjYb_8NknJL-vL-X51MXI4VrG2w=w1024-h683-no

Something I have loved doing is just going to the local park and strolling round. It's on the edge of a big piece of water so it's fairly cool and most days around 6 there is an aerobics class which is normally packed so quite a buzz about the place. An hour every couple of days is a nice treat.

We have those sponsored by chang markets near us but I personally do not like them as they seem to be trying to accommodate too many groups. The shops inside them are also a bit naff. The food is decent but I prefer the real market than these that are made by the breweries.

We have a basketball court which besides us is unused and less than 30 metres away so we go there a shoot hoops some days too. In the same park area there is also the gym equipment which the local community use a fair bit.

Wow i would love to be there ,  can you please share how can i know about Singha Park festivals ,like which one is coming when ?  and did Singha allow anyone to enter?

The more the merrier as they say.

Singha Park website

Chiang Mai has recently added an activity to their list. There is a now a city bus that starts, or ends, at the airport. It's 20 baht in either direction. One leg actually goes to the city zoo. Of course the Suntao's and tuk tuk's  are appalled by such an encroachment. The bus is spacious has a/c and wifi. Not only that but the service is good. Presently they are trying to encourage Thai's to use the service, but printing the information in Thai only. In time they will print in English as well. With my trip I noticed that there were a few Thai's that were trying it and enjoying it, plus saving money. If you don't like to save money or get a general idea of the area then this is not for you.