Free and low-cost leisure activities in Cambodia

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Cambodia. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Cambodia, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Cambodia?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Pass app for getting rides
Boatrides at the riverside can be bought as low as $25 per hour
Dinner cruises I recommend Kanika Boat expensive but worth it
Phnom Climb for active people
Hike - there is a weekly hike happening organized on facebook search for phnom hike.

In my experiences in Phnom Penh where i spend 3 weeks, I pay for hotel room 10 dollars with air condition and cable tv and bathroom inside the room, I'm adult man and like everybody else or most who travel to cambodia..they come for women's and that is the most expensive. The food in Cambodia is not good, I can't rely always in fast food and I lose weight. I believe Thailand is less expensive than Cambodia but Davao city in philippines is the best bargain I got, spending 23 dollars a day with hotel, meals and women include.

What an ambassador of what ever country you come from.

If people don't know about https://seametreyleisurecentre.org/   they are missing a lot of fun. Seametrey Leisure Centre is my favorite place to rejuvenate physically and mentally. Everyone seniors, adults, teenagers, children, toddlers and even babies can benefit going there as fresh air is guaranty.

Located by the lake in Tonle Bati, no doubt, this is the best place for outdoor activities.

Weather is awesome in Cambodia, let's take advantage of it by swimming in the huge purified salted water swimming pools, by jumping on the trampoline, by playing with your toddlers in an amazing playground especially for them, etc...

Want more activities? The arts and craft center for a little extra cost will develop the creativity of your children.

There is a restaurant and the cook is very good. You can rent sports equipment at a very cheap price.

It is $5 for adults foreigners, $2.50 for children and 50% discount from 3.30 PM to 6 PM. It is half price for Khmer people.

Your money will support the development of the school. How this feels?

I pay a tuk-tuk driver to go there for only $10. You can go as many people it fits in a tuk-tuk at a ridiculous price for each.

Don't hesitate, do like me, go there as much as you can while entrance is cheap. It may not last!

Louise Maccabée

I made an effort to reply to your post with tips on living in Cambodia but the post of mine is not showing. Has it been marked as spam?

I have an objection to your post.

Although you point out a wonderful project that benefits kids and parents, it is not an all-people leisure center, as they state themselves on their website:

Seametrey Leisure Centre is linked to Seametrey Children's Village,
a school that provides quality education to Khmer children.

It seems to be meant for Khmer children and their parents/family.

So please explain why you think seniors and other interested people can use this leisure center?

Not objecting to the center, just I think it is specifically for Khmer kids and their families.

Best regards.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe Khmer,

First I apologize for the delay as I have been very busy with no free time.  To tell you the truth, I wish I would be floating in Seametrey Leisure Centre swimming pool right now!

However, your question is easy to answer.

Going to the country side, breath the fresh air, look at the wide-open spaces, enjoy a slower pace of life is a real treat for all human being.

I like to walk on clean sidewalks and explore different areas of cities. My heartbeat changes when I have to walk on the street beside the cars and motorcycles in the city. I have been hit in the back and on the side of my body a couple of times. Nothing to fall on the street but still not right.

Seametrey Leisure Centre offers a safe environment. We can rent bicycles, cyclos and other sport equipment that I personally didn't pay attention. I would feel delighted to bring a tent and do some camping by the lake some day and I am sure this not expensive.

Time runs more slowly in the country which takes away a great deal of stress that is experienced by the city dwellers who tend to be always in a hurry to go somewhere.

As being a foreigner, Seametrey Leisure Centre gives me the opportunity to communicate with other people than my work and social circle. The staff is very friendly and make me comfortable to be with.

The countryside is generally quiet and peaceful -- certainly not as contaminated with toxic pollutants as the city. The administration minimize the pollution. The place is clean as they make a point to protect the environment with their recycle bins and garbage containers all over the site.

The restaurant offers a variety of Asian and Western food. They have a pizza oven and a big BBQ stove. I find the food healthy with fresh fruits and vegetables. They also have dried noodles for people who like fast food.

As well as being fun, swimming is a great way to keep fit. Especially in a salt water purification system, it is a healthy activity that has many physical and mental health benefits. No chlorine that burns my eyes, the huge swimming pools of Seametrey Leisure Centre are the ones I trust and choose to swim. I feel 100% rejuvenated when I go there.

With no hesitation, I say that this place is for everybody. Age is just a number.  It depends on health not the years of longevity. It is for sure the paradise for people at low budget. There so is so much at low cost and quality too!

Best regards,

Louise Maccabee

Hello.

Although you say my question is easy to answer, you didn't answer it.

From my earlier post:
Seametrey Leisure Centre is linked to Seametrey Children's Village,
a school that provides quality education to Khmer children.

It seems to be meant for Khmer children and their parents/family.

So please explain why you think seniors and other interested people can use this leisure center?

You have not explained why others than Khmer school kids and their parents can visit the center.

I try to make it clear, so that others can use the info you provided.
Apart from being out in the country it is important to know for whom it is accessible, what groups of people are targeted. If for all people they should change their website as that gives the impression that it's an extension of the Childrens Village and open to Khmer school kids and their families.

Looking forward to your answer.

Best regards.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

I live in phnom penh and my favourite hoobby is drink good beer and my favourite beer klang has completly disapeered from phnom penh. Can someone pls let me know if they se somewhere? Soon i go shianoukville myself and buy...😜
Thanks fellow expats

Hi,

I just had a look at the website for Seametrey Leisure Centre. 

https://seametreyleisurecentre.org/803-2/

The things that make me think it could be for people other than only Cambodians was the listing of an entry price (non-Khmer US$5) and the comments on Trip Advisor and the comments that all monies raised from people visiting go towards helping the children attending the school.

I could be wrong it's just my interpretation of what's presented.

Ulric

You could be right Ulric, but it could also be that the foreigner prices are for foreign parents of kids, like stepfather or real father is a foreigner. It does not make clear, that's why I asked already twice if the facilities are open to all people or to Family of kids of that school.

I want to prevent that anyone goes there and gets no admission, we give information here on expat.com that people can use. But I'm not sure myself about this facility so I keep asking.
It's too far outside to just go there and have a look.

Hopefully we will get correct info or maybe reviews of people that have been there.

Cheers.

Joe

Re.: "It seems to be meant for Khmer children and their parents/family.
          So please explain why you think seniors and other interested people can use this leisure center?" 

Hi Joe,

As a foreigner, I do not feel l am out of context when I am there. I go there once in a while and I am not in the administration. I can only explain what I perceive as a foreigner and I am happy to share it with the expats of Cambodia.

As I said, it gives me a break from the city. The fresh air of country side rejuvenates me physically and mentally. 

Everyone likes to go to places that are clean, safe, eat food that is good and be surrounded by happy people. Seametrey Leisure Centre is one of those places.

I am in Phnom Penh and as you certainly know, there are areas where the citizens take ownership of the sidewalks to the point that we have to walk on the street beside the cars trucks and motorcycles.  I mentioned I have been hit a couple of times by motorcycles. Space is there at Seametrey Leisure Centre and I always felt safe when  I went there.

I can't compare with other places where these benefits could be found. I did not go anywhere else but I can honestly promote this place because it is good for me and I am sure it can be good for others. I wish I would have time to go more often.

Being a person that always like to learn something, I find that going to Tonle Bati extends my social circle with the locals and the foreigners that are volunteers.  I don't speak Khmer. There are staff that speaks English, French, Spanish, German and may be other languages that I am not aware of. I enjoy talking about other subjects than the ones I have with my foreigner friends and work buddies.

For me, their precious asset is their awesome swimming pools and I can't talk about the other activities as I did not use them.

Saying that age is just a number and it depends on health not the years of longevity to enjoy this place is my way to guaranty that everyone including seniors can benefit to the fullest from this place.

Re.: "You have not explained why others than Khmer school kids and their parents can visit the center.
I try to make it clear, so that others can use the info you provided.
Apart from being out in the country it is important to know for whom it is accessible, what groups of people are targeted. If for all people they should change their website as that gives the impression that it's an extension of the Childrens Village and open to Khmer school kids and their families."

I am sorry that I did not give you the answers you are expecting. This is my humble opinion as a customer. Thank you for your interest. This place is worth to be. Your additional questions gave me the opportunity to add details to this thread but now this is all about what I had experienced so far. For your other questions, please contact the administration as I have nothing to do with that.

Best regards,

Louise

:|:):):)

Louise Hi, I like the way , you tell your story , very much, i will be going there, for sure see you their, and thank you for the heads up, and a wonderful feeling to your story, And if they don't want to let me in , i just paid extra lol .

warm regards Guy

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Out of context
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct