Visa for indonesian national waiting for MM2H

Me and my wife are in the process of getting the MM2H. This could take up to 6 months, in the meantime we thought we could stay in Malaysia and do 1 visa run (right now we aren't in MY yet).

But it turns out that while I get a 3 month visa on arrival, my wife because she is an Indonesian citizen only gets 1 month. We called the Malaysian embassy in Indonesia and they said the only thing you can do is go out of the country every month for at least 1 week, there is no possibility to extend the visa.

Is this true, is there anything else we could do? Flying back and forth once a month doesn't sound that appealing to us.

Nobody who can confirm or deny this?

Normal immigration rules would apply. There is no "special case" while waiting for MM2H approval and stamping of the visa. I think it is possible to extend tourist visas … isit-pass/

Sorry Gravitas, for replying so late, I completely forgot about this post.

Sadly the link isn't working anymore. Right now we have decided that my wife will just go back home every 3 weeks for 2 weeks.

I hope that will be sufficient not to get any problems with immigration.

Couldn't you return to Indonesia for a longer period and wait there until your MM2H Visa was issued? Or travel elsewhere, return back through Indonesia , and get the Single Visit Visa once you get your letter.

BTW You may want to get a Single Visit Visa as well, depending upon what country you are from. That way you may avoid the "Journey Performed" Fee.

I was in the same situation but quite a long time ago. I'm a Brit by the way. So either we kept leaving or she kept leaving every month until we got our MM2H. Back then, ten years ago, it didn't take 6 months to process and we used an Agent who was President of the MM2H Agencies at the time so that might have helped it go faster.

@Cinammonape I don't have a residence permit in Indonesia anymore. So technically I'm not allowed to keep on doing visa runs there either. Besides I want to obtain tax residence in Malaysia for this year so I would need to stay here for 6 months.

So right now I'm going to KL again for 3 months, of which my wife was planning to join me for 2 (and the other month in Indonesia). And then probably something similar again at the end of the year. I didn't really expect any issues with it, but I've been reading a lot of stories on expat about users getting into trouble for this.

@Abdul yes the leaving wouldn't be an issue, as long as me and my wife are allowed entry back into the country :).

Floaton - you need to be on a visa in Malaysia to obtain tax residency - tourist entries don't count

My MM2H agent (recommended by a lot of people here) told me that my days in MY on a tourist visa would still count towards my tax residency status if I achieve my MM2H this year. Is he wrong? It sounds normal to me, since most countries will argue that you have to pay taxes if you spend the majority of the time there unless you can proof tax residence elsewhere.

In Malaysia a Certificate of Residence is applied for to claim tax residency. It's obtained by showing valid visa and 183  days from time it's valid. Done each tax year if required. Check with LHDN for details

To get DT set up its same  process and the latter requires an income tax ID number

It's a long way process.. But you can go to Putrajaya to extend your pass.. or get a special pass.. rather than spending money going in and out of Malaysia..You can pm me I can refer you to someone who can do it for you..

New topic