Visa query

So I finally move to Vietnam in less than two weeks. Thanks to Tet I was waiting to get my VOA letter until this week. My initial plan was to get a 3 month Tourist Visa, and as soon I secure a job then I can get a long term Visa (1 year), with the work permit etc being sorted.

However, I was advised by a friend that it is possible to apply for a 1 year Business Visa straight away. I actually thought this was only possible when I got a job secured and have a work permit. While it will cost me more to get the Business Visa immediately, it would be nice ot have the 1 year Visa straight away.

Has anyone, who arrived in Vietnam before securing the job done this? Or do they just get the 3 month tourist Visa first?

I will contact the agent I used a couple of times beforehand for the VOA letter, but it would be good to hear some feedback on this site as well.

Any help an information would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Stefan

Half year ago, the visa service http://www.visum-für-vietnam.de (you are German, right?), told me that they will provide online one year business visas in the future. But now I can't find find this information on their webpage (you can ask them).
They told me that you don't need a job, WP or invitation letter for a business visa.

But the service http://visumvietnam.de/visa-on-arrival.html provide one year business visa for EUR 220.

Before I got married, I went to a translation service in HCMC (http://dichthuat.org/de/dolmetschdienst-in-vietnam/) for applying for a visa extension, new tourist visa or TRC.
They told me that I can choose between a 3-year TRC for US$ 500 (after I am married) or a business visa (don't anymore remember for how many years) for about US$ 750.

Finally I waited until after the wedding and applied for a TRC.
You can ask this translation service about the business visa.
German can visit Vietnam for 15 days without visa as far as I know.
This should be enough for getting a visa.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Possible misinformation + ad
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Stefan
I've got a 1 year business visa for Vietnam through hotels-in-vietnam.com.
It's one of the cheapest online agents for VOA (visa on arrival)
After you fill in onlinr what you want  you can pay by credit card and within 3-4 working days they will send you the approval letter and the form to be filled by mail.
Make a printout of approval letter and the filled form, and upon arrival, just hand does in together with your Passport and a Passport Picture.
You can get 1 or 2 years business Visa among the many other visas etc., look it up on their homepage
Done!

I had a business visaat one time. The basis for it as told to me is that your coming in search of starting a business or buying a business or scouting for customers of your already established Bui SS elsewhere. At that time one had to show no proof of any of that. But here visa rules change as frequent as the sun sets and rises.

Diazo wrote:

I had a business visaat one time. The basis for it as told to me is that your coming in search of starting a business or buying a business or scouting for customers of your already established Bui SS elsewhere. At that time one had to show no proof of any of that. But here visa rules change as frequent as the sun sets and rises.

That was what I was told when I applied for the 1 year category DN business visa (US citizen) back in 2018.

The phrase "exploring business opportunities" was used by my first agent, and I even wrote that on my visa application form under "purpose of visit" (or terminology to that effect), both on the form I submitted to the agent via email as well as on a blank form given to me on arrival at Nội Bài International Airport in Hà Nội

I was told it was perfectly legal.

I was also told by numerous people (including Colinoscapee) that it was illegal.

It turns out, it was both legal AND illegal.

Here's how:

Visa On Arrival agents (VOA) utilize a technically legal third-party company to "sponsor" your business visa.

At that point, no one has done anything illegal.

Under the law, the business has 90 days to obtain a legal work permit for you.

So for the first 90 days of your business visa you are technically "legally" in Vietnam.

However, on day 91, if you are still in Vietnam without a work permit, THEN the business visa does not legally justify your presence in Vietnam.

A "good" agent will advise you to keep a low profile and behave yourself and ESPECIALLY not to engage in ANY type of employment (such as, teaching English while getting paid under the table) to avoid giving immigration a reason to notice you. 

For years, many people have remained in Vietnam on these business visas without any problems.

After 1 year, agents have almost always sold a NEW visa to the foreigner; rarely applying for a much more expensive and illegal "extension".

The new visa, issued after leaving and reentering the country, provided a fresh start of sorts, and was again, legal for the first 90 days after issuance.

The Covid-19 closed borders (no reentry) left business visa holders who wanted to stay in country with ZERO legal options.

Our 1 year visas were definitely illegal by the time a year had expired without a work permit being issued.

People complained about the high price of a maximum 3-month extension, without realizing that it was (in essence) an ILLEGAL 3 month extension of an ILLEGAL business visa.

There will possibly come a time in the future when borders will reopen and business visas will again be available through VOA agents...maybe.

If and when I return to Việt Nam, I'll likely do so ơn a 3 month (90 Day) business visa (if available) and do border runs for a new visa every 90 days.

I think one thing might be certain about VN…..you can never count on what visa situations may be from one day to the next. Back when I was here on visa's I always worried what the future would be in a few days. One of the big disadvantages of Vietnam. But I think the government approaches it from a much different mindset then we do. They very much want to protect their culture as it has always been. Yes, they change things a bit. But I think many of their decisions are based on protecting the past.

Most people have no intention of doing business it was the best and easiest visa to obtain over the last few years. Then the business TRC came in and people were paying up to 2k for a two year TRC. Agents and dodgy immigration police will always be running these visa systems, they love the high returns.

colinoscapee wrote:

Most people have no intention of doing business it was the best and easiest visa to obtain over the last few years. Then the business TRC came in and people were paying up to 2k for a two year TRC. Agents and dodgy immigration police will always be running these visa systems, they love the high returns.

I live in hope :thanks:

I was quoted $1950 for a 2 years work permit and TRC recently from an agent (come with an employment contract) and pay in full amount in advance. Is it the current market rate and practice?

ycjim22 wrote:

I was quoted $1950 for a 2 years work permit and TRC recently from an agent (come with an employment contract) and pay in full amount in advance. Is it the current market rate and practice?

Nope, why would you need to pay upfront.

colinoscapee, Thanks for your reply. Is the price quoted reasonable under the current conditions?

ycjim22 wrote:

colinoscapee, Thanks for your reply. Is the price quoted reasonable under the current conditions?

The agent is organising a work contract, thats a warning sign there.

As far as I know, the agent is one of a partner in her company that is arranging for the WP and TRC for me. I am worried when you mentioned, "The agent is organising a work contract, thats a warning sign there." Please share your knowledge and experience so that others like me will not be cheated or get into trouble at a later stage.
Thank you.

ycjim22 wrote:

Shop around a little more. I'm sure you can find another blood-sucking agent that can get you blacklisted for a cheaper price. However if you want to stay with this one tell him/her to give you all the documents first to check them out with immigration .

Rick

ycjim22 wrote:

As far as I know, the agent is one of a partner in her company that is arranging for the WP and TRC for me. I am worried when you mentioned, "The agent is organising a work contract, thats a warning sign there." Please share your knowledge and experience so that others like me will not be cheated or get into trouble at a later stage.
Thank you.

Its very easy. Are you being employed by a company here or is the agent arranging a work contract and you have had no dealings with the employer.

Thanks, Budman1. A good suggestion for getting the documents and check them out with the immigration.

Diazo wrote:

I think one thing might be certain about VN…..you can never count on what visa situations may be from one day to the next. Back when I was here on visa's I always worried what the future would be in a few days. One of the big disadvantages of Vietnam. But I think the government approaches it from a much different mindset then we do. They very much want to protect their culture as it has always been. Yes, they change things a bit. But I think many of their decisions are based on protecting the past.

Yes, It seems that the whole phenomenon of masses of what we might call "free-range" or "roaming" expats, primarily comprising retirees, digital nomads, trustafarians, and freelance English teachers, is still relatively new. These people want to live in but not be permanently settled in whatever country they choose mostly based on hospitable climate, low cost of living, minimal red tape, sense of adventure, acceptable levels of safety and comfort, a range of both exotic and familiar food, interesting culture and history, etc.

I think this is still fairly perplexing to many people, including both our friends and family back home and the authorities in the host countries where we reside. Frankly, it sounds like a bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves, i.e. quite suspicious. "What do you mean you just turn on the computer, do something and then people send you money?"

So, the situation seems to be that, not only in Vietnam but in a lot of countries, they're just not sure how to deal with this type of person that has no ties to the country through marriage, employment, investment or ownership (actual immigration). Just bringing money in (untaxed income!) and spending it isn't enough; without a proper job, a family or home ownership, the person seems to be "homeless", which we all know isn't "good". And actually, a fair number of these types do crash and burn, commit crimes, end up in the hospital or prison and so on.

However, most expats are relatively stable and want to be legitimately residing in their temporary host country. An increasing number of destinations are now offering retirement visas, digital nomad visas, or some sort of legally available long-term visa. Vietnam's economy is doing quite well though (GDP +2.91% in 2020), so they don't really need us. Therefore, I don't think the VN visa policies are going to get more relaxed in the near future; more likely, the opposite will occur. As a result, these gypsy types (including myself) need to find a new country and formulate an exit plan.

Thanks for your advice. I will make an appointment to meet the employer and request the documents as Budman1 mentioned and check with the immigration before paying part of the quoted price(if it is a legal document).

ycjim22 wrote:

Thanks, Budman1. A good suggestion for getting the documents and check them out with the immigration.

You appear to be truly sincere about this and I wish you good luck. However, I think when you ask for the documents up front before you hand over the green stamps your going to get a indignant look from the dude and his response will be "What you don't trust me?" Shake his hands and say goodbye.

Rick

ycjim22 wrote:

Forget about the current market rate.  The chance that the work permit and employment contract are legit is slim to none in this climate.

Adding to my last post:

To hire a foreigner, an employer must prove to MOLISA that the foreigner is needed to perform a managerial, executive, expert, or technical job that Vietnamese workers cannot do.  Only after MOLISA approves the request would the employer be able to apply for your visa or TRC from Immigration. 

Some of the documents required by Immigration are the company's business license, business registration with the local UBND, current operation status of the business, and a letter of guarantee from the legal representative of the company.

If the employer has to "organising a work contract" for you during this time when even VEC holders are not allowed to enter the country to care for young children or elderly parents, then as Colin said, it's a red flag that you should not ignore,

If the job were (note that I use "were" instead of "is") legit, then the onus would be on the company to pay for the work permit ($26.50 in Saigon).  Your part would be the fee for 2 year TRC ($100 at Immigration) and medical check up for the job (regular, not COVID test; approximately $30).  That's it.

johnross23 wrote:
Diazo wrote:

Yes, It seems that the whole phenomenon of masses of what we might call "free-range" or "roaming" expats, primarily comprising retirees, digital nomads, trustafarians, and freelance English teachers, is still relatively new. These people want to live in but not be permanently settled in whatever country they choose mostly based on hospitable climate, low cost of living, minimal red tape, sense of adventure, acceptable levels of safety and comfort, a range of both exotic and familiar food, interesting culture and history, etc.

I think this is still fairly perplexing to many people, including both our friends and family back home and the authorities in the host countries where we reside. Frankly, it sounds like a bunch of gypsies, tramps and thieves, i.e. quite suspicious. "What do you mean you just turn on the computer, do something and then people send you money?"

So, the situation seems to be that, not only in Vietnam but in a lot of countries, they're just not sure how to deal with this type of person that has no ties to the country through marriage, employment, investment or ownership (actual immigration). Just bringing money in (untaxed income!) and spending it isn't enough; without a proper job, a family or home ownership, the person seems to be "homeless", which we all know isn't "good". And actually, a fair number of these types do crash and burn, commit crimes, end up in the hospital or prison and so on.

However, most expats are relatively stable and want to be legitimately residing in their temporary host country. An increasing number of destinations are now offering retirement visas, digital nomad visas, or some sort of legally available long-term visa. Vietnam's economy is doing quite well though (GDP +2.91% in 2020), so they don't really need us. Therefore, I don't think the VN visa policies are going to get more relaxed in the near future; more likely, the opposite will occur. As a result, these gypsy types (including myself) need to find a new country and formulate an exit plan.

Good summation mate.

I like the bit about the “crash & burn” merchants,,,,,and VN & Thailand do  seem to have a lot of them ,eg drunks that end up chronically ill , prison , on the street etc.   

But most of these characters seem to have found a way to get someone pregnant , or marry someone & hence are ensconced here.    Marriage VEC, TT visa , DN , Dl …..they are  only pieces of paper after all.

I know some desparates at the moment frantically trying to marry so they can still keep drinking those 50 cent Saigon greens. 😆 and smoke those $1 packs of cigarettes.    In Australia , cigs are $40+ a packet & a beer at the “local” is $7.    Those boys are in for a shock when they get back.

There are several expats I know that have been refused Visa extensions.  Guess what…..they're going to stay until they're dragged onto a plane & sent home.  There's some here that haven't even got a current Visa.   They're broke.     A lot of the Russians have moved to a nearby beach and are camping out in make-do shacks & tents.   Foraging for seafood, shells & they were lined up at the Rice ATMs.

There was a shitty old Russian drunk here camped on the beach.  Filthy old bugger.  Guess what happened to him.   The police got him,,,and threw his fat ass onto a cargo plane out of here. 😆 Christ knows where he ended up.   I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that plane lands & that grubby old bugger crawls out of it.  He never wore a shirt , bare feet , beard down to his navel……Grrrr.

And for those that are seeing adds online offering pricey visa extensions …….be careful
An expat here was operating a travel/visa business.   He's a bullshitter….he cashed in on this situation and spruiking his service to expats stuck here.     He took their money & pissed off .

Moral of that story….Don't do business with wing nut eared, pencil necked Euro trash. 
Lucky I wasn't one of them that got caught ,,,my Visa is sponsored by a legit company

We live in a changing world.   

That's my mornings rant ….time for brekky.

Ontheroad57 wrote:
johnross23 wrote:
Diazo wrote:

Good summation mate.

I like the bit about the “crash & burn” merchants,,,,,and VN & Thailand do  seem to have a lot of them ,eg drunks that end up chronically ill , prison , on the street etc.   

But most of these characters seem to have found a way to get someone pregnant , or marry someone & hence are ensconced here.    Marriage VEC, TT visa , DN , Dl …..they are  only pieces of paper after all.

I know some desparates at the moment frantically trying to marry so they can still keep drinking those 50 cent Saigon greens. 😆 and smoke those $1 packs of cigarettes.    In Australia , cigs are $40+ a packet & a beer at the “local” is $7.    Those boys are in for a shock when they get back.

There are several expats I know that have been refused Visa extensions.  Guess what…..they're going to stay until they're dragged onto a plane & sent home.  There's some here that haven't even got a current Visa.   They're broke.     A lot of the Russians have moved to a nearby beach and are camping out in make-do shacks & tents.   Foraging for seafood, shells & they were lined up at the Rice ATMs.

There was a shitty old Russian drunk here camped on the beach.  Filthy old bugger.  Guess what happened to him.   The police got him,,,and threw his fat ass onto a cargo plane out of here. 😆 Christ knows where he ended up.   I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that plane lands & that grubby old bugger crawls out of it.  He never wore a shirt , bare feet , beard down to his navel……Grrrr.

And for those that are seeing adds online offering pricey visa extensions …….be careful
An expat here was operating a travel/visa business.   He's a bullshitter….he cashed in on this situation and spruiking his service to expats stuck here.     He took their money & pissed off .

Moral of that story….Don't do business with wing nut eared, pencil necked Euro trash. 
Lucky I wasn't one of them that got caught ,,,my Visa is sponsored by a legit company

Good to get things off your chest first thing, after it makes for a nice relaxing Sunday in the sun :lol::top:

Ontheroad57 wrote:
johnross23 wrote:
Diazo wrote:

Good summation mate.

Hahaha, had to laugh about the " getting someone pregnant" bit.

Two, younger, useless barflys here recently advertised for one bedroom apartments about a year after becoming fathers. Reading between the lines, I imagine their ladies realised how damn useless they were and asked them to move on. These are the types of guys you see in the bar having a liquid lunch.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Good summation mate.

I had to scroll back up to see if Yogi was posting but alas I already knew it wan't true as there were no bear references or paw prints in the body of the reply. LOL

SteinNebraska wrote:
Ontheroad57 wrote:

Good summation mate.

I had to scroll back up to see if Yogi was posting but alas I already knew it wan't true as there were no bear references or paw prints in the body of the reply. LOL

Apawantly the bear is hibernating,therefore, his other personalities may be coming into play.

Bear that in mind. :/

colinoscapee wrote:

Hi

Had completed my vaccination n am exploring relocation options when its safe to travel

In the long run, do you think its better for me to go stay in VN on a back door TRC or to go reside in Thailand with an official retirement visa by putting 800k bht in a Thai bank

zest123 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Hi

Had completed my vaccination n am exploring relocation options when its safe to travel

In the long run, do you think its better for me to go stay in VN on a back door TRC or to go reside in Thailand with an official retirement visa by putting 800k bht in a Thai bank

Id go the Thai visa route, Vietnam changes the rules too often.

zest123 wrote:

What is back door TRC?

Ciambella wrote:
zest123 wrote:

What is back door TRC?

Same as under the table.

colinoscapee wrote:
zest123 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Hi

Id go the Thai visa route, Vietnam changes the rules too often.

Thanks, really appreciate your input
Its a pity that i might have to abandon my VN long stay plans as i really like it quite a bit  ...

Ciambella wrote:
zest123 wrote:

What is back door TRC?

Sorry for not being explicit, was referring to the type of TRC  (2 years validity) that can be obtained without officially fulfilling all its requirements by paying 2000 plus usd for it to an agent who supposedly knows people in the system n am able to get it issued ..

zest123 wrote:

Sorry for not being explicit, was referring to the type of TRC  (2 years validity) that can be obtained without officially fulfilling all its requirements by paying 2000 plus usd for it to an agent who supposedly knows people in the system n am able to get it issued ..

IOW, you would pay $2000 for a chance to be blacklisted.

zest123 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
zest123 wrote:

What is back door TRC?

The official name of this type of document is: "illegal"

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zest123 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

What is back door TRC?

The official name of this type of document is: "illegal"

Don't call it illegal Gordy, it takes all the fun out of it. 😕🤦‍♂️

Whistler

zest123 wrote:

I think the trick is the agent makes you investor at a company. You become a real investor of an existing company. So you can get a DT3 visa and after a investor TRC, so far it's legal. But, normally, after, you have 3 months to transfer 3 billion VND to the capital of the company. But if you don't do it in the 3 months, the fine is around 15 million VND (very low, so). I think they use that to "sell" TRC. Just a guess.

Erikji wrote:
zest123 wrote:

I think the trick is the agent makes you investor at a company. You become a real investor of an existing company. So you can get a DT3 visa and after a investor TRC, so far it's legal. But, normally, after, you have 3 months to transfer 3 billion VND to the capital of the company. But if you don't do it in the 3 months, the fine is around 15 million VND (very low, so). I think they use that to "sell" TRC. Just a guess.

So, you end up with no visa and a 15 million vnd fine. That achieves very little,as you need to have a visa during the time you are waiting for a visa that you have no intention of getting.

Ciambella wrote:
zest123 wrote:

Have to thank all the savvy n experienced folks here for waking me out of my slumber n naivety
Read about people who had stayed for years with the “back door” TRC so was under the illusion that those who approved it had the power to create an avenue for the “payees” to reside in VN with no problems

Maybe they were able to do so in the past when things were less stringent or were just plain lucky but it sure looks to be a risk not worth taking after seeing the feedback from you guys …
This really shows the power of the collective, thanks again for the wisdom imparted !!

Will likely be able to come on an expert visa in 15 - 24 months ‘ time if I choose to   work but have the unpleasant feeling that VN really dislike foreigners n that I should probably not waste time exploring options for a destination that will not welcome me for long term stay  ..
Its not a good feeling to have but guess will have to face up to reality ..

zest123 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
zest123 wrote:

Have to thank all the savvy n experienced folks here for waking me out of my slumber n naivety
Read about people who had stayed for years with the “back door” TRC so was under the illusion that those who approved it had the power to create an avenue for the “payees” to reside in VN with no problems

Maybe they were able to do so in the past when things were less stringent or were just plain lucky but it sure looks to be a risk not worth taking after seeing the feedback from you guys …
This really shows the power of the collective, thanks again for the wisdom imparted !!

Will likely be able to come on an expert visa in 15 - 24 months ‘ time if I choose to   work but have the unpleasant feeling that VN really dislike foreigners n that I should probably not waste time exploring options for a destination that will not welcome me for long term stay  ..
Its not a good feeling to have but guess will have to face up to reality ..

things change here daily (or have done in the past) let alone 15 to 24  months. Watch this space I would say!