Seeking position as English instructor/teacher

Hello everyone!! I am in the process of making a big move down to Cancún and any information, advice, or offerings would be greatly appreciated! I am a 27 year old male seeking a position as an English instructor in Cancún. I received my Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature at Montana State University in May of 2016, graduating with honors. Throughout my studies at MSU, I became highly proficient and skilled in all aspects of the English language achieving credits in a variety of courses, including composition, literature studies and linguistics. I possess a thorough understanding and knowledge of both the verbal and written aspects of the English language. I am a committed and enthusiastic individual, possessing a strong work ethic, and I would love to be given an opportunity to showcase my skills and abilities as well as my dedication. I am moving to Cancún on April 2nd, 2018 in which time I am planning on taking to the streets with my resume to try to meet and talk with as many potential employers as I can. I already have a resume and cover letter completed, and i would be willing to provide it to anybody interested in my skills. As I said before, this is a big move for me but I am committed to making it work. I am excited and thrilled to see what the near future holds for me. Anybody with any information or advice for this journey, I encourage you to share it with me. I would love to hear your story or what you have to suggest!! Thanks for taking the time to read through this, and I look forward to hearing from some people.

Sorry but it's doubtful any of that will put you at an advantage.  Even the mention of all those accompaniments will make you look like a dope.  I did the the gig for 30 years in five countries.

Here's what will give you an advantage:  You have been in country for a long time.  You are married to a national with children.  You have a good presentation (good looking, well dressed).  Spanish is not used in the classroom.  It's really good if you have taught in a school in your country for at least two years. 

Your teacher requirements are expected, not revered.  Your field of study doesn't matter.   Your grades don't matter.  Letters of recommendation don't matter.  They're not interested in all that crap.  If they like you they'll hire you.

And now the #1 most important personal skill:  That you're good at we call, crowd control.  Mexican students will play you like a Mariachi band.

I think you would do better in Japan.They eat that stuff up.

Yes they do.  I'm guessing any anal retentive society would.

If I was looking for a position in Japan I would have included that in my post. Thanks for the confidence booster!! Not really sure this helps at all :(

Anal society?? Seems a bit racist to me which I don't appreciate. Once again, thanks for the support 🤷‍♂️😖

:whistle:

Well, there goes the thought of teaching HERE. Even online, where they only see you from the neck up, it's "appearance only."

Have you considered teaching English online? I work for three companies and earn $20/hr - you could too if you are hired - the biggest companies require US or Canadian citizenship and North American accent, although I have heard light accents . Men are more easily hired because the parents esteem men teachers a bit more etc .

Reply if you are interested, I can send you the materials you will need to train and apply - the process can be quick.

I would love to get the info you are refering to...planning a move in 2-4 yrs...would like to get started doing this kind of work.

Could you send me info on where and how to apply? I am in the process of getting the TEFL certificate via on-line. Very much appreciated!!!

I'll post this publically here for anyone interested in teaching English online. This is my best advice: If you are not on Facebook, do join simple to get the benefit of the groups that guide/advise prospective teachers. The one I think is best is called Hired Online ESL Teachers. Hunt those words "online / ESL / etc" and you will find a handful of groups. Find the files in "Hired ..."  that list the companies (easily a couple of dozen). Details of each company's requirements are listed. Some require college degree and/or N American accent. Palfish does not require a degree and teachers can be native English anywhere in the world (Scotland, etc.) A brand new requirement: online teachers must have a certification. If you do not have one and you want to apply, I recommend finding the $19 (!) 120 hr course on Groupon: the certificate comes form Open Academy.  You can do this course online in a few hours, just skimming the texts.  Then, join the Facebook groups for applicants for the companies you like. Each company has one or more. Admin and members are very generous and use the search bar. You will need a recruiter for iTutorGroup, the group admin is a recruiter.  iTutorGroup is the only company I know of that hires fluent nonnative teachers, a big plus, I think. It is my favorite company and the only one I am teaching with right now even though I have contracts with five companies (OMG).  VIPKID, more of a process to get hired, but the company is popular. Gogokid and MagicEars and Naativ are others.  You will make about $20/hr. I teach from 430 am - 9:00 am EST. Most companies have morning and evening hours. Choose your teacher sponsors or recruiters carefully. They get a commission if you are hired and they should help you a lot.