Family of 4 from Canada, looking to relocate!!

Hello,
Where to begin. We currently live in Port Colborne, Ontario, looking to relocate to DR with in the next 1-2yrs. My husband and 2 teenage daughters will be moving. Firstly, we have alot of questions, if you could pls help us out. How is obtaining employment in and around Perla Marina area. I'm a certified dental assistant/receptionist back here in Canada, my husband works in hydraulics. I currently homeschool both my girls.
We're nervous/excited and need to sell everything we own, including our house and moving there without any means of employment is scary as you probably know.
What type of money would we be able to earn down there?
I may have some more questions for you, as they come to my head.

Thank you so much for your help/advice :)
Diana

Welcome to the forums. I did answer your private message.

As I indicated you will need residency and cedulas to work here legally. There is a thread on residency, check it out. That is how you get started.

In general, expats here on the North Coast work in restaurants, schools (if they have a degree in teaching), tour companies/agencies, real estate (very popular option because no license is needed) and hotels. Many are entrepreneurs and give yoga/fitness/kite/surf classes, sell handmade crafts or do photo/video sessions.
Cabarete is a popular destination for digital nomads too.

It's frequent that expats change their job and work specialization after moving to DR.

Dream City,.. same idea in Punta cana..

Hi dear Canadiansreadytoleavegreatwhitenorth,

Of course, everybody would be excited with the prospect of living a wonderful sunny life down by the sea ... piña colada, coconut trees and Merengue. Your questions have been asked over and over again, that's the reason why you get few answers. Read the forum thoroughly and you will understand little by little.

Back to reality. Wages are very low in the DR, most of the people live on earnings between US$100 and US$300 a month. You would be astonished to see that many lawyers offices seem they to have been furnished at the flea market, their PC is an asthmatic 10 years old laptop and their car is much older. Doctors in public hospitals earn peanuts. Teachers the same. Why ? Because money is scarce.

You are thinking of working with tourists and expats then ? Ok. But can you comprehend not the thousands of people who want to relocate to the DR can find out a "dream" job ? Those who have that so called "dream" job are a few, no more no less. The others just survive. Have you thought about health and pension issues ? On what will you live when you'll be 65 ? No pension for you here. Have you realized most of the expats in the DR are retirees from Canada, USA and Europe, or persons of means or investors with big money ?

Reading your questions, I can see you have no clue of how this country works. Selling your house to buy one here ? It is rather reckless : if your plans fail, you'll never see your money again. Beware of "dream" answers that paint everything blue : lot of expats of all nationalities need people like you to fuel their businesses.

Sorry for the bad news, but you have children, it is a great responsibility. Think about it.