Moving to Mauritius one day

Hi

My name is Alten Nortje, my family and I live in South Africa, Strand, near Cape Town. We have a one year old girl, Olivia.

I own a business here, Pick n Ink, I supply ink consumables in the Western Cape, I also supply to a major stationery company in South Africa for the last couple of years. I also study Law, and is currently busy with my final year. My wife is a teacher, she has a Master's in Psychology, with almost ten years experience.

We have to look at the future, and want to keep our options open.

My question is if we decide to make the move, will it be possible to open a business in Mauritius in the ink consumable industry, I will keep my South African businesses as they are established. Also law options in Mauritius? And will my wife be able to teach there.

Thank you and hope to hear your replies.

Alten

I would tend to think that a business in the ink area would only be acceptable if it brings something innovative, either in the products or the business model. The basic thing to avoid is to enter in a business which is easily and commonly done by Mauritians. 

With regards to your wife, she will need to have a work / Occupation permit to be able to teach (I assume that she will be hired by a school for this, and therefore she will be 'working')

Good day Nadeem

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it.

Would a business model in which we employ locals in the remanufacturing and "refill" ( as we call it in the ink consumable industry) of the product be a step in the right direction.

And just to be clear on the teaching, do you mean the school will, in the case of employment of my wife, arrange the work permit?

Lastly, would it be wise to visit Mauritius first, holiday and maybe set up a interview or 2 with some schools(regarding my wife's teaching) and look at the business options with people already in business over there?

Have a nice day

Alten

Yes, going into remanufacturing and refill can be a good idea. Job creation is something we all appreciate, so yes!

With regards to school (or any other employer) it is on them to apply for permits for their expatriate staff.

There's no better idea than to come down and see for yourself. Yes, speak to potential stakeholders as much as you can when you're here - including employers, future clients, suppliers, transporters, recruitment / HR agencies (to understand how HR works here), etc

Nadeem thank you very much for your insights. Its still a dream, but everything stars somewhere.

Just one more thing, do you have any advice on how to connect with potential stakeholders, businesses etc.?

We will book a holiday in the near future and come and see for our selves.

Cheers

Alten

Mauritius is a small island, so it's quite easy to get in touch with the stakeholders.
May your dream come true ... soon !