Why do you live in the DR?

I have seen many posts on how poor the medical care is, how Gringos are treated poorly by the legal system and the police, how locals sue Gringos for frivolous incidents, how many of you won't drive after dark and high crime rates etc.
My question, why do you live there?

I have read all these negatives to which you refer. Although I have barely touched ground and am in the residency process I can tell you that the woman I fell in love with first brought me here. Once here, I met many family and her friends. I drove from Moca to Santo Domingo, have been several times to Puerto Plata and Cabaret areas, I really love the land. THere are bad guys and idiots all over the world. Here, thanks to the great family that has accepted me, people look out for people. Family is very important. I have not gone out at night because here in Moca I haven't found anywhere to go but there are certainly places in the tourist areas(ta). It seems the ta's draw in the undesirables - as is the case around the world. Living here means following the rules - and the common sense rules. However, all the above,while important, for me next to my love, is the fact that I can live off my pensions here as if I were very well off, whereas in Canada, or in the US where I used to winter, I could survive but had nothing to enjoy life with after meeting monthly bills. THe reasons people came and stayed here will likely vary for every reason under the sun, along with some common denominators.....

Look, sometimes people  vent on these forums  Sometimes they like to create drama

There are those people who live here because frankly they don't have other options.

MOST of us love life here.  Yes there are  things that are not great,  some downright aweful but  the good stuff far outweighs the bad!

Life is a slower pace.
The climate - self explanatory
Sense of family and community
The amount of FUN you can have here.
Opportunities in business
LOWER cost of living, in most cases.
For some, they can be a big fish in a smaller pond.

For others ADD to this list please, lets state ALL the good.

Easy, just a few words, not in any order.  Affordability ..... Climate ..... The People ..... The Diversity of  Topography ..... Food,Fresh, Organic Produce, Pork, Chicken & Seafood.  Plus the Laughter ..... Music ..... Presidente Beer ..... Rum & The Cigars.   The beautiful women of all ages, their bright smiles brighten the days.  I was wrong, a few words won't suffice, add your own words to these & you too, will find it hard to stop.     Sublime beaches abound......

When a truth is spoken , I try to remain silent.

Because I can!

(Well, I will in 2 years, 10 months when I'm able to retire early and have a beautiful home in paradise!)

I second the venting...we want to live cleaner, simpler and more free...as long as we can...DR has been about an 85% fit on all criteria...where we are now, maybe 45% ...thus the long slow move down...my husband is German and I'm German by proxy and they have a word  'nörgeln'...just means to grouch with no goal of fixing things...just bitching because we can 😉... that's why we NEED to live elsewhere... hahahaha

Hopefully in 2020 .I will be living there as well. When you said Paradise  you didn't say nothing wrong .My husband took me on a jet ski ride to  saona island close to La Romana . The beach is spectacular . Truly my paradise

I've been here for 6 months.  Lived in the big city Santo Domingo and currently Puerto Plata.  Have yet to see all this crime etc that people on this forum ask about.  I walk 15 minutes to the gym at 5am and have been out walking at night around 8 to 9 pm.  Pure quiet! Some people live here because of the much lower cost of living and because I don't get the U.S. bank teller/waitress treatment (hands on the hip and neck girations)  when I simply want to withdraw my money or order my food.  People here are much nicer.  The trade-off to live in paradise and put up with very minor issues is a no-brainer.  I've come to the conclusion that, to have most bad experiences, you have to almost purposely go looking for them.

I disagree that people are looking for it. We live in Cabrera. There are a lot of break ins...we didn't go looking for those...happened twice... neighbors were attacked...we are a new neighborhood...no walls, because we didn't want gated community with security...but, the price is that we will regularly be targeted and all electronics will be stolen because we're gringos... people can also just be lucky and unlucky... doesn't have to be attributed to their personalities...

I can get with your lucky/unlucky summary, but this can be said for anywhere in the world.  I happen to have lived/do live in secured apartments.  Haven't had any issues as of yet, but I'm only speaking with 6 months experience.   My point with "looking for trouble" is, sometimes people complain when they actually start the trouble.  Example:  foreigner goes to the bars, grocery store etc thinking everyone should accommodate his/her wants, special priviliges etc., and when trouble happens as a result, a complaint is formed online by the foreigner.  Some risk takers may be more prone to negative experiences because of the laws here.....aka if I know I will be penalized severely for driving here without a driver's license, and I choose to take the chance and get in a car accident, there will be consequences.  Then they write a review to make the whole DR look bad.

Lets get back to the spirit of this thread please!   WHY DO YOU LIFE HERE.

Lower the caps.....all caps is yelling.....i just happened to read his whole post and thought I would respond accordingly

Earls, you have thrown a triple 20 on the dartboard of life.   Some times people can hit a streak of misfortune that is not predicated by being a Gringo (I cringe at having to Capiltalise it). Yeah, spelling is shitty.  I too have been struck down by the vagaries of fate.  A lfe free of hassle is ideal, however. a spilled coffee doesn't stop you from having another cup.    Somehow it is always worse or better somewhere else.  Bally loafers or flip-flops, they are still your feet that you are standing on.  Having lived in NYC, Miami & many large & small towns, several islands over many decades, I can say that without doubt. that this is the safest place I have ever lived. The percentage of out- landers per 100,000 that suffer from crime is tiny compared to places like Orlando or Boise.  Good news travels slowly, bad news spreads  like a bush fire. Why do you think the Roman Coliseum was filled to capacity?  If you have gotten to this point in the post, you have enough patience to contemplate the thoughts herein.  Don't keep money in your purse or wallet, don't carry credit cards unless you intend to use them.  A copy in plastic of the identity page of your passport is sufficient.  Relax, bad guys like dogs, can seem to smell fear.  Remember Churchill's famous line ............. if you don't, look it up!

Absolutely Tinker!  Couldnt have said it better myself.....

Well I will now ask for this thread to be closed.  Once again you cannot stick to the spirit of a thread and need to digress and discuss other things. REally guys? is it so damn difficult to stick to positive things just for one lousy thread!!!

No problem.

Cussing?  What was the bad thing that was said???

The spirit of this thread was stated. The question was asked!  Anyone who wants to have a different discussion can open their OWN THREAD! In caps for emphasis!

WOW!!  You sound EXTREMELY angry.

I thought that safety & the perception thereof was  part of the reason we live here. I don't feel that a clarification of the subject wasn't part of the discussion at hand.  The reasons for the denounciation (sp) are not clear to my befuddled mind. Please explain how we screwed up. Thank you Planner for helping us understand.

Not at all. I am frustrated by individuals who insist on making the same statements over and over and over. I am tired of saying the same things over and over and over.  I have asked nicely for people to stay on track and they are unable to do it.

Now I will get angry because once again I seem to need to defend my volunteer job to keep this forum working correctly.

You all can do what you want. I AM DONE. You run it.

I would like to hear from BobK on this subject if possible.

Planner, I hate to say it but you are out of character. This is not the same person I met one time at the Jolly Roger. Take a break, go to the beach, but come back. We need you.

Hi everyone :)

Let's all calm down please.
Indeed, as the OP stated , he saw a lot of negative experiences from expats living in Dominican Republic but nevertheless a lot of members decide to stay.
So he simply wants to know what motivates you all to live there. :)

MaxGis wrote:

My question, why do you live there?

So maybe you can tell us more about what are the positive factors for living in Dominican Republic ?

Thanks all,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Safety is ONE of the reasons that I live here. Further explication upon request.

Please elaborate further.

Read the posts prior to "I'm Done". Many good posts.  Things got a little confused here for a little while.Forgive us please. We semm to have lost a loved one.

We plan on moving to the DR because of the exotic beautiful scenery, the wonderful mixture of people. Opportunities are plentiful, the ocean surrounds the island, fresh fruit and seafood are plentiful. The expat knowledge is beyond amazing. We are truly blessed that we are able to move there when its our time. We cannot wait. We are going to snorkel, dive and enjoy the island and her people.

I seems that at times people do take these posts a bit too personal.....The world is not one sided, people will naturally want to share their experiences either positive, negative, or a combination of both, but if folks feel pressured to respond in a specific way as to not anger others, then what is the point of the blog. Yes we at times do get off topic, but the simple job of saying get back on topic will usually suffice, no need to yell or rant about it. We are all adults here and part of moderating a blog does entail some form of repetition and explanation.

We are capable of understanding the message. The problem is not always the message, but how it is delivered.  Everyone has something to contribute, but when we start to dictate how folks should or not respond, then we miss out on essential dialogue. We are not always going to agree, so at times we will simply have to agree to disagree which is fine, but all opinions have value and that is to be respected. D.R. is an amazing place with many positive things to offer, but each person will tell their story through their own lenses. Many expats do have amazing stories and we should celebrate that, but at the same time there are countless stories of expats who have suffered tragic fates in paradise, are their stories of lesser value :/  or should be ignored? Once again let us celebrate the good stories, but let us not shut out those who have different views. If someone wanted to speak of the positive and negative experiences in their response, then so be it! since that is what their heart wanted to share.  I personally would hate to see anyone go since what makes this blog so informative is the wealth of experience offered by many who live and play on the island, but we need to exercise a bit more tact or ask for clarification before we address each other to avoid misunderstandings......That is my humble opinion on the matter.

Paradisecat
You seem to me to be very articulate when it comes to expressing opinions. Why don't you monitor the blog?

Thanks for the offer, but I think that is best left for someone who actually resides on the island, I do spend a lot of time on the island, but I'm not a full time resident.  My experiences in D.R. are extensive, but could never replace boots on the ground.....When I'm in D.R. I'm experiencing things from different lenses. I'm fluent in Spanish and rent an apartment in an average barrio, no expats in site where I hang out.  I hear the day to day frustrations of those who don't have the luxury of being expats, I see my neighbors getting hassled by the cops, I hear the complaints of the corruption, and the day to day abuses. I hear of the discrimination, and struggles of trying to make enough money just to eat for the day...I see the fear of thinking they will be the victim of crime, which I have witnessed more than once. I'm sorry if the things I have seen and experienced might not have been as positive as those experienced by others who might be able to afford a much more comfortable or safer lifestyle, but at the same time all stories need to be told.....I don't need to rent in the barrio, but I choose to, because I want to see the real D.R. and I keep coming back because there is indeed a lot of good to be enjoyed, but I have never been a rose colored glasses kind of guy....I live with Dominicans and work with Dominicans, both there and here, and to fully grasp the real feel of those who are looking at things from a different angle, you would need to walk in their shoes, you would be surprised to hear the external opinions about their own land. They are very proud of D.R. but at the same time recognize there is much to repair and improve to truly feel 100% positive about the actual situation.  Even I am humble enough to know that boots on the ground takes precedence over non ground troops, but nevertheless all opinions add to the color palate, which makes for a complete portrait.

Cat, well stated in a form so as to moderate our present snafu. This contratemps is a painful one for those involved. I have probably contributed to the problem with my untamed verbosity.  Launica, I don't think that someone can just appoint oneself as moderator. Expat.com is an international Business. A profit oriented one aimed at providing information to expats in many countries of the world.  The DR site is but one of many. WE are not alone in this company.  It performs a huge service to the worlds expats. I doubt that they would allow an uprising as such.  I may be wrong, but there is an oversight committee out there in the ether world.  Priscilla, what is your say on all of this?  A moderator can't just pop up out of the rank & file. They must posses an unique set of qualities and a vast fund of local knowledge, contacts & experience with all the areas of the inquiries from us all.  Ain't no easy job mon, I teeldat fo tru meh son. The Moko Jumbi walks among us.

Just my 2 pesos...

Moderating is not an easy job.  You must first have a vision of what you would like to achieve through blogs and commentaries.  You have to set your values and stick to them.  Sitting on the fence is not for everyone.  You don't have to be a traffic cop or play judge and jury but you do have to persuade people to stay on topic in a positive and respectful way.  Sometimes, you have to be the firefighter and cool people down but sometimes that should be offline and may include removing or editing their post.

Having said that, Ms. Cat...please continue.  I value your perspective and you represent good character from what I have not seen.

On that note...it's time for cocktail...or 2!

Hi,

That's a great question, I am from Canada and three years ago, I was thinking of moving overseas, so I did some research and registered to the forum because I wanted to learn about to Dominican Republic however, because of the bad mouth, negative comments and constant complaining from the expats made me change my mind.  I don't want to live somewhere with a bunch of people who are constantly complaining about the country they themselves decided to moved to.  Nobody forced them to move there.  My observation from the Canadian men expats on this forum is that they moved to Dominican Republic because they were unhappy in Canada, couldn't find a woman who would put up with them...etc they moved to the develop countries and expected the women there to be their servants, their sex slave, and on top of it all calling the woman gold digger, prostitutes...seriously, they shouldn't be allow to stay in these countries furthermore, if they are so unhappy why they continue living there for? Obviously, back home is no better.

A generalization for sure.  The naysayers get the attention. I have been here & other islands for going on 40 years. Pay no mind to them, They Do Not speak for the rest of us. Do not be sawyed by their assinine rhetoric.  They would be negative wherever they might live. You have the right to not associate or live with them. Because they are noisy, they seem to have vast numbers.  It is far from the truth. Come visit & see for yourself.

To get away from al the negativity, recently some guy made the sensible recommendation that there beca separate group, perhaps called: The dr Thru Rose-tinted Glasses'.  With the main rule being that all the horror stories be kept secret.  Another group might be: The dr......and cruel reality!    In this manner everybody could be happy.

colonel, you would of course be the head of the negative group. A great idea. You would have the blessing of many. Go for it!

Many dont see true horror stories as 'negative', but instead.....the reality.  People often like to know what can happen to them, and thus be more prepared......usually WHEN its their turn, as happened to me as reported in my recent kafkaesque' horror story..  Information should not be hidden, kept secret , repressed , as often happens in such groups.   You might like to be the moderator of the 'rose tinted glasses' group.    You could kick out people like that old lady who was dragged out of a supermarket last year, and hauled off to the capital to be interogated.   (I wonder if she , or any family or friends ever come back).

I see nothing in life as "rose colored". On the contrary I'm a realist who chooses to learn from the bad & the good.  Before I was 22, I had been shot 3 times, stabbed twice & slashed once. I've had severe accidents that at times the docs gave me a50/50 chance of living. I've had cancer, and now going blind.  All that shit is far,far out weighted by the the wonders of life that I've experienced.  I have had terrible doctors in the USA & on other islands. My life was saved in the Bornigal Hospital in Puerto Plata several years ago.   Does anyone think I'm negative?  No F#&@king way.  I lived through 7 major hurricanes, including HUGO on St Croix in '89.  Rose colored glasses? Are you kidding.  I just consider my life to be a rich full adventure.  At 78, I'm "looking" forward to the next  challenge.  So put that in your pipe & smoke it!!   Rose colored indeed!

Born here, lived here, hated it when I didn't know better, loved it when I lived in the standardized US, and just HAD to come back.

Few reasons (Only a FEW)
The land is beautiful, the weather is just perfect, opportunities are a low, but YOU need to GO OUT and LOOK for them.  You need to earn a living  and find a way to do it with the least resistance. Don't expect to get rich in the pocket, but rich in the heart.

There are all kinds of people all over the world, but living in different places, I can say I've never seen the liveliness of the people here anywhere else.   

After a while, you learn to discern between the assholes the think they live in a 1st world country, and the kind people who are just trying to earn a living, raise a family between a chaos and a natural paradise.

Adapt is the keyword here.