Hotel Living for 1+ Months At A Time

Wondering what your experience may have been living for a month or more in a Mexican hotel, any coastal location (Baja/West Coast/Carribean Coast)?

IF you've tried it, how would you compare that to your experience renting a private condo or apartment?

Were you able to negotiate a lower room rate when paying in advance for a month at a time?

While I would love to find a decent place for $600 USD per month (or 4 weeks) if the situation motivates me I'm prepared to budget as high as $1,800.00 USD per month.

I'm personally drawn to extended-stay experiences in hotels which have some basic amenities (air conditioning) a restaurant/coffee shop connected to the location, no utility fees, unlimited hot water and are within a mile or two of a beach area and salt water.

Kitchenettes are preferred.

I enjoy not having to worry about basic furnishings, linens and weekly maid service, while front desk service and interaction with other travellers is a plus.

It's a somewhat romantic lifestyle, which was much more common in days gone by, I think, so I'm prepared to be underwhelmed.

Still, I prefer the one-month commitment at a time, until I'm certain I want to become a permanent resident in a specific location, with a longer-term lease.

Helpful and constructive opinions and anecdotes very welcome in response.

Thanks!

Gordy

I am interested in hearing what you find.

I've been to a lot of hotels Gordy, and that should work if you have your reservations locked in, in advance. Some places are popular and book up quick, so flexibility is essential.

I've done a month here and there and I find it gets old pretty fast after the 2nd or 3rd week. The clerks at the front desk are much less attentive and I get bored, and want to go home to my base camp city where I spend about $900 U.S. on a 3 bdrm house. No one knocks on my door at 9 am to clean the room , no people stomping down the hall talking loudly after exiting the bar at 2am, Just tranquilo until the next adventure.

Hi Gordy, I have travelled throughout Mexico and often did that.
There are also lots of little hotel complex with common areas including cooking/fridge but you also have a small fridge in your room. The more common term used in Mexico are bungalows with go from small kitchenette to full kitchen/living room area.

Book in advance in high season or weekends in some area.

Go on the internet for lots of more mexican type hotels/bungalows.

Lots of them give discounts after 3 days stay

Areas my wife and I went to Melaque/Barra de Navidad, La Peñita de Jaltemba/Rincon de Guayabitos, Perula, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Puerto Angel/Zipolite areas in the course of the last 20 years. Now, we have settled down in an 2bdr apartment within a 9 apts complex in La Peñita de Jaltemba since last year as fulltime residents in Mexico for 9000$ pesos/month all included (furnished, internet, gas, electricity, megacable, pool, 2 terrace) except housekeeper (220$ pesos/weekly cleaning) and between April and October no other NOTB tenants we are alone with mexican family and neighbors.

For a budget of up to 1800$ USD, we will have lots of offers available to you.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

Hi Gordy, I have travelled throughout Mexico and often did that.
There are also lots of little hotel complex with common areas including cooking/fridge but you also have a small fridge in your room. The more common term used in Mexico are bungalows with go from small kitchenette to full kitchen/living room area.

Book in advance in high season or weekends in some area.

Go on the internet for lots of more mexican type hotels/bungalows.

Lots of them give discounts after 3 days stay

Areas my wife and I went to Melaque/Barra de Navidad, La Peñita de Jaltemba/Rincon de Guayabitos, Perula, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Puerto Angel/Zipolite areas in the course of the last 20 years. Now, we have settled down in an 2bdr apartment within a 9 apts complex in La Peñita de Jaltemba since last year as fulltime residents in Mexico for 9000$ pesos/month all included (furnished, internet, gas, electricity, megacable, pool, 2 terrace) except housekeeper (220$ pesos/weekly cleaning) and between April and October no other NOTB tenants we are alone with mexican family and neighbors.

For a budget of up to 1800$ USD, we will have lots of offers available to you.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Thanks very much!

I am from Canada living in Merida now. Many affordable monthly rentals here available and even on the beaches.