Permanent Visa at Polícia Federal

Hello everyone!

So, I've just been to Delegacia de Polícia Federal in my jurisdiction (Rio Grande do Sul, Passo Fundo) and they have only one person  handling the Immigration department(...). My husband lands in Brazil on 27th March on tourist visa and we plan to register him (Residência permanente com base em casamento) as soon as possible so that he can work. In Passo Fundo the next appointment available is at the end of June (!!!) - his tourist visa will expire before that and we wouldn't like to wait for that long.
We have plans to move to Sao Paulo soon, so my question is: has anyone scheduled an appointment at Polícia Federal in São Paulo and registered their spouse just like my case, if so, how long did it take to get a date? If it's faster I'd move first to Sao Paulo to do the entire process over there and make the whole thing easier and more convenient.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks

He can extend visa for 3 month .

Hi, Angelicaody,
Great job planning ahead!
There should be no problem in moving to São Paulo and going through the registration process there.  To start the process in SP, you'll need an SP address, but you'll have that.  So, you should do what will be most convenient for you.  Once he has the "Protocolo" in hand that proves he's been registered, and his CIM is in process, that becomes his ID, and you don't need to be concerned about his visa expiring anymore.
Since you have time, just make sure that he brings ALL the documents that the PF will require.
Congratulations!

Yeaa, I know, Chiragkumar. Visa extension is available.
But what about permission to work? We don't wanna wait that much.

Hi abthree! Thank you!

Yea..after one gets into so much paperwork when marrying a foreigner planning ahead is like the only rule :)

I've started checking for rent in Sao Paulo and  hope to get a decent flat soon enough :)

Also, in the meantime I contacted a couple of Delegacias de Polícia Federal out of my current jurisdiction and apparently some of them have the same issue: available dates to apply for permanent residency based on marriage only June or later. Few accept applications from other jurisdictions and majority don't. I just hope São Paulo will schedule us an appointment within few weeks.

All documents required are ready except for the address proof which will be sorted with the rent.

Thanks again!

Once you're in a capital, whether São Paulo or Porto Alegre, for that matter, I doubt you'll have any trouble.  When I got to Manaus in November, the PF scheduled me in a week, even though they're very busy processing refugees from Venezuela every day.

angelicaody

As soon as he receives his protocol, he can get a work permit.

Jim

Yeaa I really hope so :) . Thanks for everything!

jland912 yeaa. Fingers crossed so that we can get an appointment for protocolo within 2-3 weeks of his arrival. Thanks!

Back when I did my Perm. Residence paperwork in 2014, I had the same problem with Haitian Refugees clogging up the system.   I wish we could take care of this stuff from a Consulate so that we didn't have to be in such limbo.

While I was not successful in actually getting married here (a blessing in the end!), I spent many days and nights investigating and tried to work with the Rio office of the US Consulate. I highly recommend waiting (but watch deadlines and dates VERY carefully!) to do everything in SP but do not delay in starting to set up interviews ASAP!
You must get married whilst his tourist visa is "en vigor" and that means either you are a goddess or you must request an 90-day extension from the Feds (Fed Police). The paperwork is tedious and incredibly stupid and annoying and takes many months.... unless you pay-off an official {not recommended, ever!}. It could take 4 months for the process to complete and if you are in a different city you will need to start it all over again.  Each city is responsible for marriages but the Feds must first give approval so it is just smarter to keep it all in the same place... if not, it might look suspicious and since Brazilians are being screwed by Trump, who knows how this might play out in our realities here! 
You also need to keep the same office of "consultorial" (I forget the name they use here for legal paperwork processing -- if you move, you lose another $R 250 and a week's work).... So many things, too many things! to list....
And I am not a lawyer  -- they are pigs in every country! ESPECIALLY Brazil.

Dear Madam, when I was in Brazil with my family, wife and children who are from the European Union and concrete German citizens, I went to an attorney and handed over all the documents and within 30 days I got everything done without any problem. In Brazil there is a lot of bureaucracy and doing this personally will take a lot of time, but a lawyer will do this very fast and simple for a reasonable price and not very expensive health costs more.

We also did mine in 2013. We gather all of the paperwork mentioned on the PF website. went to PF. Everything was in order. Back then there was a home visit which delays everything a few months. There is no more a home visit, so if all of the paperwork is in order you are approved immediately and the CIE will be available in about 60 days. Nost people do not waste time and money on a lawyer. I understand everyone is different. My wife is very organized and it went really smooth for us.

Jim

Hey guys, thanks for sharing your experiences! I've just got the info that PF in São Paulo isn't scheduling appointments, but is accepting permanent residency applications, we just have to walk in.
Trying to gather the remaining documents as the list keeps changing.

I'd like to know if anyone had to show the 'document' listed below, or a statement mentioning you're financially responsible for your spouse is enough.
[i]Comprovante de dependência econômica, em se tratando de irmão maior de dezoito anos de brasileiro ou de imigrante beneficiário de autorização de residência.[/i]

Thanks!

They have the form there and you just need to fill it out.