On the average what does it cost to eat per day ?

On the average what does it cost to eat per day there that's breakfast lunch and dinner nothing fancy just normally trying to decide if three hundred a week will be enough cash to bring

Bánh mì 25,000 VND (about 1USD)
Phở 35,000 VND (about 1.5 USD)
Street barbeque 50,000 VND (about 2 USD)
Beer at non-expat local bar/restaurant 20,000 VND (about 1 USD)
I can't think of anything else one would need to eat or drink :)
Bottle water 5,000 VND
Bottle Coke 15,000 VND

supertaper wrote:

what does it cost to eat per day there that's breakfast lunch and dinner

I don't know about prices in expat areas, but my usual ceiling is 80K ($3.50) for two people -- 100K ($4.50) if spouse wants beer.  That's not street food, but a meal (lunch or dinner) in most mom-and-pop restaurants.  If the meal costs more than 100K, it better be very, very good. ot that would be the last time we visit the place.

supertaper wrote:

if three hundred a week will be enough cash to bring

Not counting rent, $300 is our grocery, eating out, transportation, electricity, water delivery service, two cell phone plans, and all other household expenses (flowers, nails, hair cut, cleaning supplies, etc.) for a month.

I don't know how keen you are to eat Vietnamese food for every meal, every day. Here is the alternative.
For breakfast, I often get something at the French bakeries, they are all around. 30.000 to 50.000 . Starbucks coffee 80.000 , their cakes 50.000 to 80.000.
MacDonalds cheeseburger 'set', 80.000. Bigmac set (fries/drink) about double.
Pizza Hut often has something on sale, guess 100.000 or 120.000.
Thai Express (from memory) 120.000
Hardrock Cafe big burger $10? Maybe $12
Indian food like biriani 100.000
Australian bangers and mash in Vung Tau was 90.000?
Japanese - costs a lot.
The basic rule is Vietnamese (90% of food places) can range from street food prices to a few dollars.
Any foreign food is close to US prices. And up in downtown D1. Can be difficult to find non-Viet food in small towns.
Beer is the bargain in Vietnam.

FYI same kind of thing goes in Thailand. Thai food cheap, foreign not. Our favorite little authentic Vietnamese hole in the wall on a backstreet sells good pho - for $3.  (did I just hear Ciambella faint?)

gobot wrote:

Our favorite little authentic Vietnamese hole in the wall on a backstreet sells good pho - for $3.  (did I just hear Ciambella faint?)

I fell off the sofa!  Moving to Thailand will not be in my plan anytime soon.

Basic Street Food
Banh Mi - 10k (.40c)
Meat & Rice - 30k (1.3)
Noddle & Meat Soup - 35k (1.6)

Mom and Pop restaurants will be about 30-50% higher 40-60k

Coffee at corner store runs about 10k

Western Places will run 100-200k a meal

Last week, I stayed near Tan My wet market in district 7. My favorite dish (broken rice with pork chop) costed me 35,000 VND (came with a bowl of soup, ice tea, wet nap, extra rice). At another restaurant near by, a vegetarian meal (com phan) costed me 13,000 (free bowl of soup and ice tea).

25,000 for breakfast
Bun thit neung 20k and soya bean curd 5k
or
Me Quang 25k
or
2 banh mi 20k

Lunch
Com nuon 25 or 30k

Dinner I just eat fruit which isn't much
and some croissants or other bread or cakes 7k each

It all comes down to what you eat, local or overpriced western style places. Even if you ate at western style places I doubt you could eat 300 dollars a week.

I would estimate around 10-20 USD per day, a lot depending on diet, self cocked, Vietnamese or foreign and also a lot on the area, where you buy/eat. In theory, it could be as cheap like USD 5.00 , just not filling, no coffee, no beer and only cheap water.
Accommodation also depending on area and luxury, 10-25 USD plus per night.
A lot below a tenner will not not be pleasant at all.

A morning ca phe sua dua 30,000
banh cuon for breakfast 40,000 vnd
bo bit tet 70,000 vnd or a Banh mi for lunch 25,000 vnd

Unlimited lobster and alcohol seafood buffet at Hotel Nikko... 1,200,000 VND

Like anywhere in the world, theres expensive and cheap places to eat. You could live off baked beans and bread in London for £1 a day

I could show you a place, where you can spend a lot more and still leave hungry ....