Age 60 Years+ "Outside of Brasil" When Time to Renew Visa & RNE Card

Hey Everyone.
Hope you all are well.

I'm looking for an answer to a very specific question.
I'm from USA and have a permanent Visa & RNE card.

INFO ABOUT ME

My Visa Expires in June 2020
My RNE Card Expires in SEPT 2020.

MY 4 QUESTIONS

If I travel to the USA in "February 2020" for example:

1) and my visa is about to expire 4 months later
and my RNE card is about to expire 7 months later...
Then can I renew both of them from "outside" of Brazil?

2) If I am 60 years old in February of 2020 after I arrive in the USA and then a few months later both my RNE Card and my Permanent Visa expire while I am 60 years old and while I am traveling outside of Brasil, do I get any special permissions?

I heard that I do not have to renew my RNE card after I am 60 years.
But can I be outside of Brasil when I turn 60?

3) DO I STILL HAVE TO RETURN to Brasil every 2 years even if I am 60?
And I have an RNE Card or Permanent Visa?

I'm guessing the answer is Yes I still have to return every 2 years, but I do not have to do all the paperwork to renew my RNE card every 9 years any longer.

4) I am assuming that I still will need a regular 10 year Permanent Visa attached to my USA Passport, and that I will always have to keep that current and valid to enter Brasil.
Or will I not need the Permanent Visa in my Passport any longer due to the fact that I am 60 years old and I have an RNE card that does not expire ever since I am 60?
Basically I am asking in this question if my RNE card (when I am over the age of 60) can replace any and all other Brazilian documents needed to enter Brasil if I am over 60 and my RNE card never expires?

These details are nowhere on the internet or the Federal Police Website.
Or at least I haven't seen any.

The only thing that is published on the Federal Police Website is that after you reach the age of 60 years you DO NOT have to renew your (RNE) card - also known as (CIE) ever again. That it does not expire.

I do not have time to go to the Federal Police to ask them this,
but I do have time to call them on the phone if they will answer questions like this over the phone.

Thanks so much for your time to help me get to the bottom of this issue!

Craig

Good question, Every time I go back to US PF at airport I have 180 days to return. I never question it.
My RNE is permanent if that makes a difference and do not need to renew Vias as long as I have RNE

Hey Tex,

Are you 60 or over? If so this might give me some clues.
The RNE cards have a 9 Year Expiration date.
But I read on the PF website that once you turn 60 you do not need to renew the card.
Also I guess if you got the card after you were 60 then there is no expiration date on it.
So now you got me real curious about when you got this RNE card (which year?) and if you were under 60 or over 60 when they gave it to you?

Thanks,
I patiently await your answer!

Craig

Also - FYI - My RNE card says permanent on it.
But it expires in Sept 2020.

As being a permanent resident of a country, you really should not have to fly back and forth every two years - BUT YOU DO.

Being a temporary resident or in the process of getting paperwork completed to be a permanent resident I can understand that the country wants you to come back every two years, but it's ridiculous that they want you to still return every two years if you already for a permanent resident and they gave you an RNE card that is valid for 9 years.

And the return every two years is mandatory to keep your resident status in Brazil.

BUT ---> I think the only way to avoid this is if you are a Permanent resident of Brazil and are 60 years old.
I think they waive the 2 year return, but I am not sure about that.
That is what I'm trying to find out!

" Are you 60 or over? If so this might give me some clues."
I was when I applied .
Hope this helps.
As mentioned I do not understand why I was told I had to come back before 180 days when leave the country.

Hey Tex.

Hmmmm - Interesting

I am not 60 yet but will be in a few years.
I am trying to come up with a plan that's why I ask.

That is really weird that they told you to come back in 180 days.
Especially if you have a Perm Visa or RNE.

They both give you unlimited time in Brazil and you only have to come back every 2 years to keep your permanent visa and RNE valid from what i know until they expire.

YOUR RNE - probably doesn't have an expiration date since they handed it to you after you turned 6o and that makes sense.
But 180 days doesn't and the 180 days usually only applies to:
Working and taxes.
Like if you stay in Brazil longer than 6 months or 180 days whichever it is then you have to start paying taxes on your world wide income if it is over 28,500 BRL for the calendar year.

Otherwise I never heard of the 180 days.
So after staying in Brazil for 180 days or longer - you are considered a resident of Brazil for tax purposes, etc...

Craig

Craig 777

1 you can not renew the cie outside of Brazil.

2After you are 60 you do not have to renew , but your card must say indeterminada
You do have to return to Brazil every 2 years

$ you will always need your passport. I would suggest renewing your passport first and then your CIE, but do the CIE before it expires.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks so much for this important info.

Okay so the bottom line is that I always have to return to Brazil every 2 years no matter what the situation is unless I am a citizen of Brazil it seems!

I'm thinking that there is a possibility that I may be out of Brazil more than 2 years.
That's why I'm asking.

I probably will leave I'm thinking around June 2018 this year.

So if I return to Brazil in less than 2 years then I can keep everything here like CIE/RNE card...
But otherwise I loose everything then, and even after I turn 60 it wont matter anyway, because I still have to return every 2 years.

That was going to be my question for the Policia Federal if I couldn't get an answer here in this forum.
But thanks you saved me about 2 hours on the phone trying to get answers!!

Have a great day or night!

Craig

I can' answer that question for you the answer is no I have mine too I was not planning to come back until my 61 but before I left     I checked To see if it was possible I was told I had to do it before my 60th birthday When I came back I receive my new card which was two years ago and it is  permanent  I hope this helps that's just my experience good luck !

Hi Bleslie

So far as from the info that's been provided,
The answers are:

1) I have to return to Brazil to get the new RNE card that does not expire for before my 2 years ends being outside of Brazil.

2) Also that no matter what the situation is "I will always have to return to Brazil every 2 years even if I am 65 and even if I already have the RNE card without the expiration.

So the bottom line is that - The RNE card that never expires, does not help you to stay out of the country longer than 2 years.
The only thing it does to help you is that you do not have to stand in lines after you are 60 to renew it every 10 years.
They don't want you to have to get a new one if you are over 60.
But they don't care if you are 14 hours away by plane, they will make you fly back to Brazil every two years just to keep your residency active.

Am I correct?
This is what it seems to be..

If I am wrong about anything - please tell me.

Thanks!

In reply to your post if it does not expire in the 2 Years You are  away you don't have to come back I am assuming  you are saying that it will expire before you make 60 years old if that's the case it is still good before you make 60 all you have to do when you come back to Brazil is get it exchanged for a permanent one which you don't have to renew anymore! That was my situation I was not planning to coming back until my 61st birthday but mine expired at 59 So I did have to come back to get it  renewed that was almost 3 years I have my  New card  and I don't have to get it  renewed because I'm over 60 now!!

From the Visa FAQ of the Brazilian Consulate General in Nagoya, Japan, dated February 9, 2018:

"6) O estrangeiro com visto permanente com mais de 60 anos precisa retornar ao Brasil a cada dois anos?

Sim. Caso não retorne ao Brasil a cada dois anos, perderá o visto permanente."

According to several sources, a person who holds an expired permanent visa and RNE can enter the country on a tourist visa, and apply to have them restored.

Unless things have changed you have to return to Brazil every 2 years to keep your CIE valid. Being over the age of 60 has nothing to do with it. Being over 60 just keeps you from having to renew it. 

Jim

I'm 66 next week. It was way easier for me to simply renew my CIE with payment and a minimum of renewal paper work at the SSA policia federal. My recommendation is to renew after 60 even though its not necessary.  I found that it is cheap insurance while traveling back and forth. While we know the rules...most agencies, airlines and airports do not!

If your card has an expiration date on it you have no choice but to renew it. If it says indeterminada after Validade then it is just a waste of money.

Jim

Jim...yes I can concur with that. My case had an expiration date over two years ago. I was over 60 and flying from SFO to GRU. The airline refused entry due to the "expired " card. I have since made a successful renewal and now it's indeterminada.