Belgium Residence Permit with Luxembourg contract

Hello Everyone,
You guys are very helpful to share the knowledge and I am willing to have my doubt clarified.

I currently live in Belgium for more than 3.5 years with Belgium work contract.  I am offered a Luxembourg contract recently. I would like to know if I can still keep the Belgium residence based upon the Luxembourg work contract/work permit. Can I renew my residence permit in Belgium based upon the Luxembourg work contract/work permit?
This solution will basically help me not wasting the years spent in Belgium so to accumulate continuously for receiving the Permanent residence.

Thanks

Kind regards,
Mari

Hi,

Yes, if you have a long-term resident card - EU ("F+" card), you can move to another European country without applying for a visa. However, you must meet certain conditions.

Your long-term resident status entitles you to reside in another European Union country (except the United Kingdom, Ireland or Denmark).

If you intend to work, your host country may however subject the exercise of your activity to authorization, according to the situation of its labor market.

In addition, some countries have quotas, which limit the number of residence permits issued to foreigners.

You must apply for a residence permit in your new European settlement country no later than 3 months after your entry.

You can also request it, under certain conditions, before leaving Belgium. Check with the appropriate authorities in your new country.

Your host country may ask you to prove that you have:
- stable, regular and sufficient resources to live without social assistance, and health insurance.
- Your host country may also require you to meet integration requirements. You may be required to take language courses.

Your family living with you can accompany you or join you, under conditions, in your new European host country.

If your family lives outside Belgium, you will have to apply for family reunification from your host country.

When you stay in another European country, you maintain your status as a long-term resident in Belgium until you have acquired this status in your country of installation.

After 5 years of legal and uninterrupted stay in this one, and under other conditions including resources, you can apply for a long-term residence permit - EU. You will lose your status in Belgium.

Hi, Many thanks for your time and efforts to help me.

Though your points may be applicable to those who already have the long-term permanent residence in one member state, I am willing to let you know that, Currently My residence status is not a permanent residence. I live in Belgium for last more than 3.5 years and will apply to become Permanent residence after completing 5 years an un-uninterrupted residence.

It is also one of the main reason why I am considering to keep my residence in Belgium while having the Luxembourg contract. For example, If I move to Luxembourg, then I waste my years of living in Belgium while starting my residence from Zero again.

Thanks very much and please let me know if you can help considering the above status.

Kind regards,
Mari

In my knowledge, as you are on temporary residence permit now (which gets renewed based on your renewing Belgian WP), you will not be able to renew your Belgian RP based on your new Lux RP.

Thanks So much, Aneesh.

It means I will not be able to renew my Belgium residence based on the Luxembourg work contract and work permit. Right?

Also, can you please advise me if I can get the Professional card (so renewing the Belgium residence based upon the professional card) in Belgium and work as a consultant for Luxembourg company, will my residence be considered as un-interrupted in Belgium?

I see some threads mentioning about the residence resetting to Zero when changing the status from 'working' to 'dependent'. I wish to know if there exists such resetting.

Thanks a lot for your time.

It means I will not be able to renew my Belgium residence based on the Luxembourg work contract and work permit.  -> Correct.

I am not sure if a Luxembourg employer can avail services of a Belgian professional card holder while he resides in Belgium. You may need to cross check this.

Thanks Aneesh for letting me know.

Hello, I'm sorry if this is not related with the topic but I have a question about RP renewal. My husband will have a business trip outside of Belgium in March 2018, however the current RP is expired on Feb 28, 2018 and the renewal is still in process. Do you know if there's any possibility that my husband can get any temporary documents that he can bring during the business trip?

Thx in advance