Secondary School Mathematics Teacher

Hi there,

I have a masters degree in education from Australia and have been teaching secondary school mathematics for 6 years here.

I was not born in Australia, but am trained and registered as a teacher here and will become an Australian citizen in a few months. I speak English fluently.

I'd like to come to Thailand in search of a more peaceful life.

Do you think I can find mathematics teaching jobs? Are there recruitment agencies that would help me?

Many thanks
Jahan

Link below is good place to start.

https://www.ajarn.com/recruitment/brows … index.html

Good luck.

Thanks for your comment. Do you know what Thais consider to be "Native English Speaker"?

Is it enough that I have an Australian passport or one needs to have been born in an English speaking country?

I speak and write fluent English and have been teaching at Australian schools for 6 years with no issues. But I have a light accent as I was not born here.

Thanks

jahan-k   Yesterday 11:35:00

Welcome and good luck with your search...

Oops! Didn't see post # 2 prior this. Thus, this post canceled, but see next. :cheers:

jahan-k wrote:

Thanks for your comment. Do you know what Thais consider to be "Native English Speaker"?

Is it enough that I have an Australian passport or one needs to have been born in an English speaking country?

I speak and write fluent English and have been teaching at Australian schools for 6 years with no issues. But I have a light accent as I was not born here.

Thanks

Rest assured, that you'll have no problem, in that regard. In fact, many Thai schools have determined that many English teachers, who, themselves have learned English, as a second language, are often the better choice. So, just go for it. PM us, for any further discussion, in this regard. Good luck.

You won't have a problem, with a master's from Oz and being on an Oz passport, in terms of paperwork and getting a teacher's license.

Birth certificates are not asked for, just passports and degrees.

Don't sell yourself short.  With 6 years of secondary teaching in Oz you should be looking at the better-paying international schools first.

The best of luck to you.

MisterStretch,

Thanks for your comment. Do you think I should look for a job from Australia and come only when I have an offer OR I should come first and look for a job while in Thailand?

If second option, I can't come earlier than July (because I need to save some money :) and my understanding is that school term starts in August in Thailand. Would July be too late to come and look for a job?

School term starts in May, mate.  Second term begins in November. 

Some international schools start in August, but the government term is May.

Do your absolute best to find a gig before leaving Oz, but you can find something here, it just won't be top-flight if it's a last minute position.

Decide on where you want to live; then start making lists of schools, getting info, finding contacts, making applications.

It is easier to get your original visa from Oz than it is after arriving here. But it can be done in Malaysia, after you get a job - if you did so after arriving.

My wife is the legal/visa expert for an international school and she says you need original diplomas, transcripts and a recent police background clearance from Australia before you can get a visa.

Thais can be a racist, superficial lot, so if you are a person of colour, I would dissuade you from trying to teach here and advocate somewhere like China or Japan. Again, international schools can be more accepting of colour than government schools.

MS

Jahan-k take the advice of MS and get a job before leaving OZ.  You can start the process by applying to schools you have an interest in teaching .  Some schools allow you to apply online while others will require you mail CV or Resume.  Remember the schools know which teaching positions will be open for the next school year now so you want to get applications in soon.

If you don't know which schools to apply I would delay your plans one year while you gather more information on education system and schools in Thailand.

Thanks MS and Straydog,

I already applied for a couple of positions but this article discouraged me from looking for a job before I come:

https://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-street/arti … r-mistakes

I'm getting in touch with these guys to see if they can help with the process:

www.triaust.com

jahan-k wrote:

Thanks MS and Straydog,

I already applied for a couple of positions but this article discouraged me from looking for a job before I come:

https://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-street/arti … r-mistakes

I'm getting in touch with these guys to see if they can help with the process:

www.triaust.com

I highly second what MisterStretch and Straydog have said. There is a huge distinction between most international schools and other types of schools here in Thailand, and a corresponding difference in the ways in which they recruit. The recommendations you'll see on Ajarn tend to apply to the latter since they're focused on English language teaching and teachers who are not actually trained or licensed (excluding a CELTA/TEFL/etc.). They do not apply to international schools.

If you're a qualified teacher with experience, you should begin your search far in advance. The best international schools like NIST, ISB and BPS have already wrapped up most of their recruitment for 2018-2019. Others will continue through March to April at the latest. In other words, you need to apply months in advance, and no reputable international school recruits through Ajarn or other ESL-oriented sites.

You should be applying directly through the listings on the schools' sites, and potentially applying to listings on TES, Search Associates and ISS. From what I can see, TRI doesn't deal with any of the better-known schools here. If you don't see much listed on these sites now for Thailand, I'd again echo what the others said: delay coming here and start looking for openings as early as this November for the 2019-2020 school year.

The difference in the work environment and pay will be massive. An average English teaching position here in Thailand ranges between 30,000 to 45,000 baht per month, with no other benefits - no housing, no flights, and minimal insurance and support. Class sizes can be quite large and the work environment can frequently be frustrating due to poor communication between the Thai and foreign staff.

With your background, you could probably arrive without having a job lined up (if your timing is right) and get a better position at a decent bilingual school. But even then, the pay will probably be in the neighborhood of 40,000 to 60,000 baht, as very few go above that. There's a slim chance that they may provide a small housing allowance of a few thousand baht, and maybe an annual flight if you're very lucky.

However, when it comes to international schools (excluding the smaller ones), there is a lot more potential. Most mid-sized schools having salary scales that start around 50,000 to 60,000 (at the low end), and more often 70,000 to 80,000. They usually have a housing allowance, and almost always provide an annual flight, decent insurance and PD funding. The best schools (those mentioned above) all start around 150,000 baht per month at the low end and go much higher, particularly when you factor in the annual bonus, housing allowance and other perks. Almost all of the schools in the middle and high range tend to recruit from overseas - which is again why you should ignore the advice on Ajarn if this is what you're aiming for.

Take your time, build up a little more experience, work on your CV and start applying at the end of this year. It's worth it.

https://jobs.theguardian.com/jobs/mathematics/thailand/

Just google math teacher jobs in Thailand
And don't worry, you're teaching math, not English.
Apart from this maybe you try to correct your accent if perceptible. It IS possible, oi corrected mine and now, from French Quebecois, people (Anglos) think I'm Irish :)))