The best Coffee Shop in Ho Chi Minh City

After wandering around this crowded and noisy city, at last I found the ideal place to take a break and enjoy the incredible sort of coffees and teas, obviously along with a pastry.

Steven's Coffee and Tea is not a StarBucks style, but it gives us a feeling of honest and genuine Vietnamese idea combined with Chinese and American way.

It is located in the 180 trần hưng đạo f7 Q5 in Ho Chi Minh City.

The staff speaks English BTW.

Just drop in and let me know how it was.

Joe Montoya

Sounds like one of a million similar places.
Do you work for them?

No Fred, I DO NOT WORK for them.

It is just when you are attended with quality and honesty, there you feel like you are a satisfied customer. Then you try to tell others about your experience.

Don't get me wrong...by the way, do you work for expat.com?

Whats their Espresso like please Joe, can never seem to find a good one with full strength flavour

Hi Mike, Espresso tastes good, just when you order a vanilla flavored capucchino, milk turns it into a soft sweet taste losing its main strength flavor.

I am more likely to ice tea.  I think I focused more on service than the expresso machine. Sorry if I am not able to give you a good criteria about it, sir.

I sincerely doubt any coffee shop can be called the best, with literally tens of thousands of them across the city.  My spouse would swear that the place where he hangs out waiting for me each time I have my hair done is the best.  The interior is like a mini tropical oasis, with trickling fountain, ferns, bird cages, mister, etc. 

The coffee is very strong and flavourful, better than his ơwn, he said.  The staff speaks English and the music is a mix of instrumental and American ballads.

Genuine Vietnamese?  You bet.  My spouse has always been the only Westerner there.

Ciambella, you are right. There are thousands of them.

I am just giving my humble criteria. Perhaps cuz I dropped in there a couple of times, and I told the owner I´d mention his place to my pals.

I love to drink cafe latte, and so far I could not find any place in saigon who can make it better way. How is the coffee Latte  is there??

Coffee is matter of taste like all food and beverage.
For me, the ambiance counts more than the coffee itself.
Therefore the coffee shops in the Book Street next to the Saigon post office are my favorite. A quiet oasis in the middle of the noisy and crowded Saigon.

Well, if you have the chance to go around, see it yourself and I hope you get the same feeling. I just loved it.

Unfortunately it is still common in Vietnam to smoke in coffee shops (except in the newer modern ones).   :nothappy:
In this case Thailand is much more civilized.

My favorite coffee shop was the old couple who sold morning coffee in the Hem where I first lived.  They set up shop every morning with four chairs and a table out in the lane.  Cà phê nóng, which I prefer in the morning, was 10,000 and cà phê đá was 15000.  My regular companion was a former ARVN Colonel who lived elsewhere came there every morning.  The couple also sold those charcoal round bricks with the holes in them and also provided hot water to the immediate neighbors who would take their kettle into their homes and return with it, presumably making their own coffee.

The worst coffee shop experience I ever experienced was on the first floor of the Sunwah Tower which houses Citibank.  While waiting for my wife to do business in the bank, I once ordered a cà phê đá there and was shocked that it cost 100,000.  The coffee was tasteless.  Maybe you D1 residents don't mind paying a lot for coffee but at least it should be good.

Anyone give ideas about Brewing (Hand-drip,  Pour-over) coffee in Saigon?  Looks like almost prefer Mixed Coffee (Coffee with milk or sugar)?

Is tea available in Vietnam? I need my tea in the morning or I refuse to function!

Electra1 wrote:

Is tea available in Vietnam?

Is rice white? 

Vietnamese people seem to prefer green teas and floral teas.  Most any coffee shop cup of coffee is followed up by a pot of rather weak tea.   The western style supermarkets like Co-op and Big C carry the stronger teas favored in the English speaking countries.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Think I'll be bringing a lot of tea from Melbourne.

hongminh1905 wrote:

Anyone give ideas about Brewing (Hand-drip,  Pour-over) coffee in Saigon?  Looks like almost prefer Mixed Coffee (Coffee with milk or sugar)?

Try "The Workshop" it has pour over and they don't believe in cà phê sữa đá.  Ý in D 1

Live in Saigon and love coffee? Neil Featherstone wrote a wonderful book on the subject with beautiful illustrations (http://www.neilfeatherstonephoto.com/saigon-ca-phe/) that you can find in a number of bookstores throughout the city. I bought my copy at Fahasa Bookstore (40 Nguyễn Huệ).

google for this keyword "yellow chair specialty coffee" (Located in D1, Saigon)
P.S i'm not working for them, that's my friend's coffee shop :-)
https://instagram.fsgn5-2.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/6579f11f8106a989e0242cabba103b22/5B4C7B60/t51.2885-15/e35/27576675_196250010955955_4508799239333085184_n.jpg