Is my brazilian marriage legit?

I travelled to brazil in 2008 to marry my brazilian gf whom i met in london.

We flew to belo horizonte then to Uberlania MG.

Upon arrival we were introduced to a lawyer who said he would sort everything out. Obviously for hefty amounts of money.

What is now confusing me is that  I was only in brazil for 2 weeks, is this even long enough to satisfy all formalities legally?

The marriage took place on the final day and i began travel back to belo horizonte to fly home that night.

After i had left she travelled to rio to the british consulat and applied for a spouse visa. Which was declined as it turned out she had been living in the UK illegally for 7 years.

It wasnt long after leaving brazil that we stopped talking and eventually lost contact.

Is this marriage legitimate? If so what is the easiest way to undo it? I hvent seen her for nearly 10 years

Welshdanny,

Were you married in a cartório? Do you have the marriage certificate?
You can always fly to Brazil and look for the marriage registry at that same cartório.

Two weeks is long enough especially if pre-arranged by a lawyer during that time.

If it´s legit, the only way I know that´s faster is to divorce her. I don´t really know if there could be grounds for annulment like a "marriage of convenience" which was planned on you and which could satisfy Brazilian laws. You should come to Brazil to find the record at the cartório and also talk to a lawyer. A divorce can take a while like 6 months to even a year.

Divorce lawyer fees around two thousand reais...

Good luck!

robal

Thanks Robal. Yes I was married in a cartorio and i have a marriage certitificate.

Is there a web site where one can check  if the marriage is still valid

Without  having to travel to brazil?

southerntraveller40 wrote:

Is there a web site where one can check  if the marriage is still valid

Without  having to travel to brazil?

I´m not aware of websites like that. Validity is easily seen by going to the cartorio where you were married. When Brazilians divorce, they usually go back and report the Divorce Decree to the cartorio where they were married originally to correct the present status and also as ordered by the courts.

Maybe anyone can call to verify but I doubt that because Brazilians almost always need to see IDs.

robal